Coil on ‘21 5010?!

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Coil on ‘21 5010?!
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Nov 28, 2020 at 12:53 Quote
Anyone tried a coil on the new 5010? I’m considering....

Posted: Dec 8, 2020 at 18:32 Quote
Not recommended. The leverage curve for that bike suggests that you would bottom out all the time with a coil on it. I wanted to get a coil for my Bronson but decided against it because the leverage rate is flat.

Posted: Dec 21, 2020 at 19:46 Quote
I ended up putting on a Cane Creek In Line coil and it’s pretty awesome! Been loving it. I put the progressive spring on there and it’s helped keep the playful nature of the 5010 alive and well. Love the adjustability of this shock. It bottoms on most hard hits, but haven’t had any harsh bottom outs yet. Feels really similar to the OEM air shock.

Using Cane Creeks set up guide I ended up with the HSC and HSR mostly closed down and slow to maintain some support in big hits, but my LSC and LSR are almost wide open for small bump compliance and a nice lively feel. The rear end of the bike is feeling so good! It’s super stable and planted, corners insane and is still as playful as I need it to be.

I’m so stoked on this set up rn! Would definitely recommend to others. Also worth noting, after a month of use there has been no frame rubbing or any sort of comparability issues.

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 at 15:14 Quote
From the SC site:

Is this bike coil shock compatible?
Yes it is. Keep in mind that on a shorter-travel platform, you'll need a pretty firm spring to keep from bottoming out too much with a coil, as you don't have the advantage of an air spring's ramp-up. However the 5010 has a rising rate linkage and will work better with a coil than most bikes in this travel range.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 21:14 Quote
Patbarraza wrote:
I ended up putting on a Cane Creek In Line coil and it’s pretty awesome! Been loving it. I put the progressive spring on there and it’s helped keep the playful nature of the 5010 alive and well. Love the adjustability of this shock. It bottoms on most hard hits, but haven’t had any harsh bottom outs yet. Feels really similar to the OEM air shock.

Using Cane Creeks set up guide I ended up with the HSC and HSR mostly closed down and slow to maintain some support in big hits, but my LSC and LSR are almost wide open for small bump compliance and a nice lively feel. The rear end of the bike is feeling so good! It’s super stable and planted, corners insane and is still as playful as I need it to be.

I’m so stoked on this set up rn! Would definitely recommend to others. Also worth noting, after a month of use there has been no frame rubbing or any sort of comparability issues.

Did you put the 210X50 or the 210X55?

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 21:45 Quote
Did you put the 210X50 or the 210X55?[/Quote]

I did a 210x50. The SC customer service guys recommended not using a 210x55 so i didn't. I am curious though!

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 22:06 Quote
Patbarraza wrote:
Did you put the 210X50 or the 210X55?

I did a 210x50. The SC customer service guys recommended not using a 210x55 so i didn't. I am curious though![/Quote]

I've read here - https://www.mtbr.com/threads/5010-v4-is-here.1142129/page-9 comment 179 - that its possible with no problems that's why I asked... anyways SC wont recommend because if you put a 150mm fork the bike will be too close to the Bronson and It will have roughly the same travel that the Hightower but on 27" wheels... so more playful... and wont make sense on the SC portfolio...
Well that's my 5 cents of course...

But I'm very curious in finding more people that did this "conversion"...

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 23:20 Quote
PBorges wrote:
Patbarraza wrote:
Did you put the 210X50 or the 210X55?

I did a 210x50. The SC customer service guys recommended not using a 210x55 so i didn't. I am curious though!

I've read here - https://www.mtbr.com/threads/5010-v4-is-here.1142129/page-9 comment 179 - that its possible with no problems that's why I asked... anyways SC wont recommend because if you put a 150mm fork the bike will be too close to the Bronson and It will have roughly the same travel that the Hightower but on 27" wheels... so more playful... and wont make sense on the SC portfolio...
Well that's my 5 cents of course...

But I'm very curious in finding more people that did this "conversion"...[/Quote]

That’s super interesting! I might have to try this. I was considering a Bronson/nomad for more aggressive trails, but this and the debonair fork upgrade to 150mm could be a good call.

Thanks for sharing

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 6:37 Quote
I am getting my LBS to strip a bike down so I can but the frame for my so , who is graduating from a small SB5 to a Med 5010.

So many Med sized frames out there with reach over 450mm and long front centers, and the 5010 would suit his 5’5” frame the best.

We’ll be keeping his 150 Fox 36 and will report back how it works, but I’m sure he’ll think it’s just fine!

Now the rear shock rec of 210x50 is intriguing bc he has a CC DBIL now, but I have a spare EXT Storia Lok V3 with 55mm stroke I can slap on Smile

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 8:43 Quote
Staktup wrote:
I am getting my LBS to strip a bike down so I can but the frame for my so , who is graduating from a small SB5 to a Med 5010.

So many Med sized frames out there with reach over 450mm and long front centers, and the 5010 would suit his 5’5” frame the best.

We’ll be keeping his 150 Fox 36 and will report back how it works, but I’m sure he’ll think it’s just fine!

Now the rear shock rec of 210x50 is intriguing bc he has a CC DBIL now, but I have a spare EXT Storia Lok V3 with 55mm stroke I can slap on Smile


SC has nothing against the 150mm fork (they say the frame is compatible with 140-150mm on the 5010 components section of the website) but they don't talk about the shock.

If you try it let us know the results please.. thanks in advance...

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 17:18 Quote
Patbarraza wrote:
I ended up putting on a Cane Creek In Line coil and it’s pretty awesome! Been loving it. I put the progressive spring on there and it’s helped keep the playful nature of the 5010 alive and well. Love the adjustability of this shock. It bottoms on most hard hits, but haven’t had any harsh bottom outs yet. Feels really similar to the OEM air shock.

Using Cane Creeks set up guide I ended up with the HSC and HSR mostly closed down and slow to maintain some support in big hits, but my LSC and LSR are almost wide open for small bump compliance and a nice lively feel. The rear end of the bike is feeling so good! It’s super stable and planted, corners insane and is still as playful as I need it to be.

I’m so stoked on this set up rn! Would definitely recommend to others. Also worth noting, after a month of use there has been no frame rubbing or any sort of comparability issues.

I’m new here lol. Not sure how this all works. I just bought a 2021 5010. Do you have any pics of your bike with the coil and do you have any idea if the cane creek kitsuma coil would fit. ??

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 22:31 Quote
Yup, got pics. However I’m not exactly sure how to post in this thread haha. I’ll post in my account tho

I would have to think that the kitsuma coil would work. I’ve seen people have put kitsuma air shocks on the new 5010, and of coarse the DB IL coil. I’d be surprised if it didn’t fit.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 8:17 Quote
I’ve just finished long shocking my 5010 from 51 to 57 stroke. Using a float X air shock, they say that you’ll get 145mm of travel. No issues with tire buzz. It’s more aggressive now and handles square edges abs chattery Rock gardens amazing. Think about this before coil shock, I’ve removed volume spacers so that the shock is more progressive on the rebound and doesn’t bottom out

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 12:10 Quote
I’m interested trying the Cane Creek Kitsuma air shock with the 55mm stroke.

Currently, When cycling the 55mm stroke shock through it’s travel, it feels like the last 5mm of stroke are a bit more linear (dare I say regressive?!) than the first 50mm. I’m sure that is to do with SC designing the frame kinematics around 50mm stroke and did not intend for us nerds to add more.

That being said, I’m sure volume spacers would combat this. I currently have a progressive spring on my coil, but I haven’t had quite enough time to fully test and see if the coil is or isn’t progressive enough. I’m curious if an air shock would handle the last 5mm of stroke better. I’ll get back to y’all on that.

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 19:53 Quote
I had my first ride on the over shocked /over forked set up today with a progressive coil shock set to 55mm stroke (Cane Creek IL coil with DVO progressive coil) with the pike bumped to 150mm.

It’s an awesome set up! I didn’t notice any loss in pedaling efficiency, nor did I notice any odd changes in the leverage curve during that last 5mm of stroke. No harsh bottoms, as a matter of fact I didn’t feel bottom once even though I reached full travel several times. I feel like this travel bump has really made this agreat all around bike for the people that want a lively playful ride.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005782
Mobile Version of Website