Big jump from scout to patrol?

PB Forum :: Transition
Big jump from scout to patrol?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
FL
Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 17:41 Quote
I’m in the market for a new rig. I’ve been sweating transition since the days of the bottle rocket and the double. Love the way that they support and revolve around the fr scene. I’m in between a scout and a patrol. Looking for advice. Years ago I built a sx trail I absolutely loved the bike. But life happened and I took a major hiatus from biking. Fast forward to 2019 and covid. Kids sports are canceled, work at a minimum....I’m going biking!!

Swooped up a new 5010. Built a nice wheelset, built a 150 fox36 factory fork for it. Quickly reconnected with old friends new friends and start shredding anything with in a days drive. The 5010 is great but I feel it’s a bit short. I need a large regardless. My frame is a medium. Need more stability at speeds and jumps. Any thoughts.? I feel like a scout would be perfect 60% of the time. Maybe a carbon patrol would be the ticket? I still want a bike that rails..

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 17:50 Quote
I’ve had the 1st gen patrol and now ride a 2020 scout. The new scout is every bit as capable as the 1st gen patrol and I’d imagine not far off the current one, at least until they update it. You can bump the travel up 10mil front and rear as well.

FL
Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 18:06 Quote
brooks79 wrote:
I’ve had the 1st gen patrol and now ride a 2020 scout. The new scout is every bit as capable as the 1st gen patrol and I’d imagine not far off the current one, at least until they update it. You can bump the travel up 10mil front and rear as well.

Good to know, we were in Bentonville Arkansas a few weeks ago. I noticed they were renting the scout at a lbs. I didn’t get a chance to try it out but I sat on the large and it felt very comfortable.

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 20:26 Quote
Went from a 2019 coil patrol to a new scout back in March. Bumped the travel up and put a coil on it. Bike rides better and harder than my patrol. The seatpost height alone is worth the swap. Can’t even tell the seat is there when descending. I know a few guys up here running 170 forks on their scouts so It is really close to being a patrol.

I know there is major love for patrols but the scout is just as capable. All the dudes you see shredding the patrol in their advertisements ( Kelen , Kyle , skye etc.. ) all run scouts with coils now. I think you would be happy with the swap.

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 17:25 Quote
I've been seriously debating whether to wait to see the new patrol/norco range, or going for a Scout with 150 coil rear with a 160 or 170 Zeb

FL
Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 3:10 Quote
sdaly wrote:
I've been seriously debating whether to wait to see the new patrol/norco range, or going for a Scout with 150 coil rear with a 160 or 170 Zeb

What does the new patrol look to have changed? I’m curious to know if this current generation of patrol would be similar to a scout if it had shorter shock and fork. 150/160. Then you could have the coil for days at the bike park

FL
Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 21:51 Quote
Everyone I know on the Patrol is basically freeriding, I'm betting they capitalize more on it.

FL
Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 6:03 Quote
I was able to ride both yesterday. The patrol is definitely a bigger hit bike. Everything felt “similar” aside from the ability the scout had to explode when pedaling, going into and out of maneuvers. The patrol really didn’t want to go las much as the scout. Minor difference, but the scout wins for me. I ride enough trail it would make a difference.

I will say, the patrol coil does pedal well and isn’t a bobbing slob of a bike. The coil felt great. But the 170 lyrik was really slack. Even tried more psi and cranking up the compression.

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 9:35 Quote
thrashin wrote:
I was able to ride both yesterday. The patrol is definitely a bigger hit bike. Everything felt “similar” aside from the ability the scout had to explode when pedaling, going into and out of maneuvers. The patrol really didn’t want to go las much as the scout. Minor difference, but the scout wins for me. I ride enough trail it would make a difference.

I will say, the patrol coil does pedal well and isn’t a bobbing slob of a bike. The coil felt great. But the 170 lyrik was really slack. Even tried more psi and cranking up the compression.

Get a scout. I have a current gen Scout and upped the travel and threw a coil on the back and its an amazing little bike. I could not seem to get the shock setup how I wanted with the 140mm (although I feel I was also used to a coil from my previous bike) and after the changes its a different bike. I dont think transition will release another patrol. You basically have the same bike after you bump the travel up, and all the brands seem way more keen on the wagon wheels now.

I had a long weekend in whistler in the fall and was very surprised how it coped, trails were surprisingly smooth but for such a little bike it was great. Buy one, source a used air shaft and coil shock and you have a fantastic bike.

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 10:25 Quote
kennyfinest wrote:
thrashin wrote:

Get a scout. I have a current gen Scout and upped the travel and threw a coil on the back and its an amazing little bike. I could not seem to get the shock setup how I wanted with the 140mm (although I feel I was also used to a coil from my previous bike) and after the changes its a different bike. I dont think transition will release another patrol. You basically have the same bike after you bump the travel up, and all the brands seem way more keen on the wagon wheels now.

I had a long weekend in whistler in the fall and was very surprised how it coped, trails were surprisingly smooth but for such a little bike it was great. Buy one, source a used air shaft and coil shock and you have a fantastic bike.

Would you say the Scout would make a good "do it all" bike with a 140 air shock for more trail and climbing/150 coil shock for the gnarly, rough, steep DH?

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 11:23 Quote
sdaly wrote:
kennyfinest wrote:
thrashin wrote:

Would you say the Scout would make a good "do it all" bike with a 140 air shock for more trail and climbing/150 coil shock for the gnarly, rough, steep DH?

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 11:57 Quote
kennyfinest wrote:
sdaly wrote:
kennyfinest wrote:

That’s how I run my scout. Although the coil just rides so nice that I don’t swap to the air very often unless I know that I have a big pedal day on trails. I mostly pedal fire roads so I just lock the coil out and grind. Its a decent climber. I have a gx build with carbon wheels and I think my bike weights about 32lbs with the coil.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010288
Mobile Version of Website