So. Many. Trail. Bikes...Any help?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
So. Many. Trail. Bikes...Any help?
Previous Page |
Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 9:53 Quote
Sorry if these kinda posts are annoying, but I'm ripping my hair out over here. I've pretty much shredded my upgraded GT Verb Sport and feel like it's limitations are getting to me. I've decided to spend ballpark $2,500 USD and my list of bike options is like 16 bikes long to be honest. I think I've narrowed it down to YT Jeffsey base, Polygon Siskiu T8, and Vitus Mythique 29 VRX, but even narrowing it down to 3 makes me worry that I'm missing something. I guess what I'm looking for is just opinions, thoughts, experience with these companies or specific bikes, anybody who is as into this stuff as I am to discuss options with lol.

Jeffsey - a lot to like, availability concerns (of course), don't love the press-fit BB. Don't love what I hear about the Yari and SX Eagle.

Siskiu T8 - unsure about the brakes, $300 more than the Mythique. Don't know much about Fox 34 Rhythm. Don't love the looks.

Mythique VRX - love a lot about this bike. Know the PinkBike guys loved it last year in the field test.

If I can possibly actually find one of these for sale, any thoughts?

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 10:36 Quote
Cadams7 wrote:
Sorry if these kinda posts are annoying, but I'm ripping my hair out over here. I've pretty much shredded my upgraded GT Verb Sport and feel like it's limitations are getting to me. I've decided to spend ballpark $2,500 USD and my list of bike options is like 16 bikes long to be honest. I think I've narrowed it down to YT Jeffsey base, Polygon Siskiu T8, and Vitus Mythique 29 VRX, but even narrowing it down to 3 makes me worry that I'm missing something. I guess what I'm looking for is just opinions, thoughts, experience with these companies or specific bikes, anybody who is as into this stuff as I am to discuss options with lol.

Jeffsey - a lot to like, availability concerns (of course), don't love the press-fit BB. Don't love what I hear about the Yari and SX Eagle.

Siskiu T8 - unsure about the brakes, $300 more than the Mythique. Don't know much about Fox 34 Rhythm. Don't love the looks.

Mythique VRX - love a lot about this bike. Know the PinkBike guys loved it last year in the field test.

If I can possibly actually find one of these for sale, any thoughts?
my old man got the vitus vrx and to be honest it was built really poorly like no grease on the headset shock bushings axles or seat tube. The cabling was awful and even with me not being to ocd it needed a trim. And as soon as he let me have a go I slapped it into a rutty berm and folded the rim.

Now the good bits: it’s really cheap, suspension is very plush and nice, shimano deore gears work a treat, the breaks are great and the dropper is good.

So all in all you will want to replace some parts as they where out and probably a strip of some off the components to keep them working nice not creaking after the third ride and I wouldn’t trust the wheels we went with some dt swiss e 532 being budget but strong.

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 11:19 Quote
Thanks for the first-hand info. Does kinda scare me about the direct to consumer route. I'm confident I could remedy most of that kind of stuff (grease, etc) with a good once over when I get the bike. Sketchy stuff about the wheel also. The Polygon is probably the best spec'ed for the $. Then I wonder if it's worth some more $ to get like a Giant Trance X 3 at a local shop.

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 11:47 Quote
Cadams7 wrote:
Thanks for the first-hand info. Does kinda scare me about the direct to consumer route. I'm confident I could remedy most of that kind of stuff (grease, etc) with a good once over when I get the bike. Sketchy stuff about the wheel also. The Polygon is probably the best spec'ed for the $. Then I wonder if it's worth some more $ to get like a Giant Trance X 3 at a local shop.
we were looking at the polygon and I would buy a bike direct to consumer and then if there’s any problems take it too the lbs

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 12:30 Quote
Vitus have some great bikes with great quality parts, but they are assembled by chainreactioncycles. They usually do a really poor job (things like gears and greasing). The bike is great but you should probably check the bike when it arrives before riding it (they routed my rear brake hose under the head tube instead of around it. Still worth it IMO since you save some serious cash.

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 13:29 Quote
From what I've heard on the YT threads the customer service is hell so if you plan on busting a frame maybe don't go for that

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 13:54 Quote
MaartenR wrote:
Vitus have some great bikes with great quality parts, but they are assembled by chainreactioncycles. They usually do a really poor job (things like gears and greasing). The bike is great but you should probably check the bike when it arrives before riding it (they routed my rear brake hose under the head tube instead of around it. Still worth it IMO since you save some serious cash.
they defo cheap out in some places or I just break wheels easily I don’t know on my bike I’ve been through a set of xm481s this year so it may just be me

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 7:23 Quote
Thanks for the info, I think I'll disregard Ooofff's wheel experience from here on out Wink

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 7:32 Quote
Ooofff wrote:
Cadams7 wrote:
we were looking at the polygon and I would buy a bike direct to consumer and then if there’s any problems take it too the lbs

Really liking the X-3. So far so good on the SX drive train. The 35 just needed 1 bottomless token to be a functional fork. Climbs great, DH’s and plows the chunk like a long travel bike.
The X-2 is speced where you don’t need to consider upgrades. Worth the extra $$$ if you ask me.

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 10:51 Quote
Cadams7 wrote:
Thanks for the info, I think I'll disregard Ooofff's wheel experience from here on out Wink
haha I’ll take that as a compliment

Posted: Dec 14, 2020 at 12:34 Quote
Tektro Orion brakes on the Polygon Siskiu T8 are OK. Only knock on them is the lever, but you can get used to it. Fox 34 Rhythm is one of the best value forks there are- read some reviews about it.

Posted: Dec 18, 2020 at 15:48 Quote
Try the Vitus Escarpe CRS . It has a carbon front triangle. Price is 3,100 USD

Posted: Dec 18, 2020 at 22:39 Quote
How tall are you, how much do you weigh, and what kind of riding will you be doing?

My first instinct is to steer you away from the Jeffsy and Escarpe (...and towards Commencal and NS Bikes) because of durability issues in their rear triangles, but I'm a biggish boy with slowish reflexes these days, and may be harder on bikes than you.

Posted: Dec 20, 2020 at 7:12 Quote
Cadams7 wrote:

Same. There are some great bikes spec wise for the price that I don't know enough about in the DTC range because I don't know enough people that ride them, which kind of scares me off. At the same time I don't feel like paying $4000 a POS drivetrain, which seems to be the trend this year, like some of the SRAM NX spec'd bikes having a SX derailleur .

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005273
Mobile Version of Website