Destroked patrol..? 150rear travel?

PB Forum :: Transition
Destroked patrol..? 150rear travel?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 7:35 Quote
Ok here me out...
I’ve had a bit of a thought. What if I were to take a patrol coiler and buy a shorter travel air shock for it....buy an extra air shaft for the fork and run the bike at 150 rear and 160 fork travel. Would this give me the all mtn trail ripper I think it would? Leaving me to only have to instal the coiler and 170 air spring for bike trips I plan.

I know people boost the scout with a 150 coil and I here they are as or nearly as capable as a patrol.... but what about a 150 airsprung patrol with a 160 fork? Leaving the only other bike to have in your “quiver” a box with a coil shock and airspring?

The reason I ask is because the scout is glaringly the hottest bike to be unavailable this year. I’ve found patrols for less and actually in stock.

Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 10:10 Quote
That works fine. I think one of the transition guys did that to a patrol a while back. Not sure if they had an angled headset or not but I’m sure if you contacted transition directly they would get you squared away.

Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 16:33 Quote
you will end up with a lower bottom bracket .

Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 16:56 Quote
ti-marc wrote:
you will end up with a lower bottom bracket .
and thats not necessarily a bad thing. Minus pedal strikes which I have learned to avoid some time ago.

The bb height on the patrol is just a few mm higher than the scout. Decreasing the rear end is going to minimally lower the bb. 10mm is .394” and rear suspension travel is an arched travel not completely vertical. An air shock, decreased travel should make the bike a bit different. Hopefully more pedal friendly and lively. I don’t think it’s going to be a night and day difference. But hopefully make it a bit more trail friendly. Or at least I get less scowls from the spandex clad strava goons that spy that coil. My bike is for recreation and fun. I’m in no race. I want to enjoy the trail and my time

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 11:10 Quote
yes am agree ,bike is about fun for 98% of human !!!
i am wrong if you use same length shock just less stroke the geo is not going to change!

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 12:06 Quote
thrashin wrote:
The bb height on the patrol is just a few mm higher than the scout.

Static height, yes, but more travel means a lower dynamic BB height. Long-travel bikes usually bottom-out lower than short-travel bikes. If you lower a bike with X mm of travel by Y mm, the the ride height will not be equivalent to a bike with (X - Y) mm travel.

The Patrol is lower than average. The ideal way to reduce its travel will be to use a shock with reduced stroke to get the travel you want and an eye-to-eye that's shorter by a lesser amount.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 6:27 Quote
the patrol has a 205x65 shock.

than a 205x60 shock would leave the bike at the same height with less travel.

if the shock is 200x60 than the bike would be lowered and reduced in travel.

Yes this would definitely change geo. A bit. But would you not want to lower the bike if you are lowering the fork? 10mm out of the fork and 5 from the rear. Yes the rake may more .1 degree. and the bb may be a couple of mm lower than stock patrol. Which I would imagine being a better trail bike. Scout has a 3mm lower bb than patrol.

In theory this has been fun. Thanks for the comments. But realistically I was able to ride both bikes yesterday. I don’t think that patrol is for me. The coil is nice. But in a whole the bike is a bit much for my wants.

Posted: Dec 10, 2020 at 10:14 Quote
Try the sentinel V.1 shock - 205 X 57.5. Keep the geo the same and then it's a poppy trail party around 140mm

Posted: Dec 26, 2020 at 17:39 Quote
This is interesting. What size shock would I need for a V1 patrol to drop it to about 140mm in the rear. The stock size is 230x65 so would a 230x57.5 get me close?

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 20:06 Quote
did anyone ever do this? Thinking of buying a 2020 patrol frame and making it 150/150 bike. It would be my do it all fun bike. Just wondering if this would work.

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 5:19 Quote
Yt46 wrote:
did anyone ever do this? Thinking of buying a 2020 patrol frame and making it 150/150 bike. It would be my do it all fun bike. Just wondering if this would work.

OP here… I ended up getting a scout. So glad I did. It is a great do it all machine. It’s great for my local trails, handled the fastest lines at snowshoe and the tech up and downhill in O’Bannon’s rocky ridge and Breeden. Great for jumps, berms and my level of mid sized bike park features. It works. I ended up running a 150 rear travel and 160 fork. Seems to helps take the edge off with out bogging the bike down. Hope that helps

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007102
Mobile Version of Website