Do you use your chin guard on your convertible helmet?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Do you use your chin guard on your convertible helmet?
Previous Page |
Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 11:25 Quote
I’m considering getting a bell super dh after my recent trip to Virgin...but I’m curious how often people who own a convertible helmet actually use the chin guard attached.

I currently have an almost new 661 helmet that works fine, as well as both a bell full 9 I use for lift access. I never take the full face for “regular riding”, but every so often I wish I had more protection...but thankfully I haven’t smashed my face into the ground for a long time.

Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 11:33 Quote
I try to use my Giro Switchblade whenever I'm going someplace more gnarly. I'll usually just remove the chin bar for the climbs. It's actually really comfortable, but just that little bit warmer and more annoying to take on/off than my half shell.

Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 12:11 Quote
I know two people with convertible helmets (Bell Super 3R). They both just leave the chin bar on for all rides now.

I ride in a TLD Stage. It's no hotter than a normal helmet so there's no reason not to. I also find it much more comfortable without needing the BOA system that cinches down around your head.

Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 12:53 Quote
I no longer ever remove the chin from my Bell and will be getting a new FF helmet to replace it. Just one less failure point and with the advent of the newer FF helmets that breathe so well, no reason in my mind to compromise safety.

Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 13:43 Quote
I've had two convertible helmets. First was the Giro Switchblade. I did remove that as I didn't think it breathed well and was somewhat heavy. I ended up wrecking with it and replaced with a Bell Super DH that I never remove the chinbar on. Next helmet I buy will be dedicated FF to save weight and remove failure points because I just don't want to take off the chinbar at this point.

Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 19:05 Quote
I have a Bell Super DH, and no longer really take the chin bar off, even in hot weather.

I grew up riding dirt bikes, so a full face all the time feels totally natural to me.

Also, my front teeth are fake (boating accident as a kid), and wearing a full face full time, is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying new vineers or implants.

Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 20:36 Quote
Running a bell super DH and definitely use the chin bar, clip it on to my camel back. Nice to be able to remove it for cruising rides next to the river.

Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 7:31 Quote
I use the super dh and when riding trails which are fire road access up, dh all the way down I strap the chin bar to my fanny pack for the climb and wear it on the helmet for the downs.
For more pedally or undulating rides I just wear the half shell.

Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 7:46 Quote
No the only time I used it (Leatt DBX 3.0) is when I should have been using a serious DH helmet so I picked up a D3.

Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 17:17 Quote
I had a Super DH for a couple years. The chin bar saw less than 10 uses. Even if it was strapped to my camelbak I'd convince myself on the pedal up that a full face was "unnecessary". And one of those uses really did save me some scrapes on my chin.

These days I use a Fox Proframe. It vents plenty well enough and doesn't give me the option of being lazy about the chin bar.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 8:39 Quote
Its why I bought it, best compromise of both, makes for compact carry also.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 10:45 Quote
Once I got into dh riding and realized how much more secure a dh helmet was I stopped using my convertible Bell. If I want a full face I wear the dh helmet and deal with the heat.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 7:43 Quote
I have a TLD D3 for bike park and shuttle runs. ..but for raw dh trails which I have to pedal 500m+ to get to the top the super dh fits the bill nicely.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 9:03 Quote
I have the bell super dh and now use the chin bar full time. I started off using it both in half shell and full lid depending on the day. Then 2020 happened...
Given how awful finding a dental appt is and all of the hoops you have to jump through for one I’m not sure I could guarantee I’d find a dentist to re-implant my lost teeth were that to happen.
I’ve gone to wearing the chin guard full time now. I have to say it doesn’t bother me a bit and I will probably buy a full face for my next helmet.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 16:22 Quote
I'm full face all the time now on my bell super 3r. Been doing this for the last year now. Start riding with the chin bar on in the fall/winter and you'll adapt more easily. If your glasses fog, check out zenni.com to get cheap wire rim frames with small lenses that sit away from your face. Look at the frames with nose pads so air can move behind the lenses near your nose. Then you'll be all set.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005435
Mobile Version of Website