Local Travel Advice

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Local Travel Advice
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 3:41 Quote
Hello

My buddy and I have a Retallak trip planned first week of Aug 2021 (was postponed due to Covid this year)

Anyway I was considering dropping him back off as Spokane and having my wife and daughter fly in and jumping in the car for a turnaround to do a BC road trip.

Looking for advice on grabbing them in Spokane WA and road trip then fly out of Vancouver. Need to figure out how the car situation is going to work still but there's gotta be a way

I definitely want to do the following (Squamish for a couple days, Whistler for a day, make it out to Tofino for a couple days to grab a surf session if swell and then back to Vancouver) but I am open to ideas from locals.

Figure about a 10 day road trip

Hopefully things will be back up and running so I don't miss another Retallak trip.

Appreciate any advice on route and locations to check out. My wife and daughter DO NOT ride. They are big hikers and also kayak, etc... we are a very outdoors family they just don't MTB but they let me ride as much as I want.

Thanks again

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 6:59 Quote
swellhunter wrote:
Appreciate any advice on route and locations to check out. My wife and daughter DO NOT ride. They are big hikers and also kayak, etc... we are a very outdoors family they just don't MTB but they let me ride as much as I want.

Thanks again

I would head West out of Spokane to Leavenworth. Leavenworth has just about everything for hikers AND bikers.

From there, look at Tiger Mtn./Duthie Hill and see if it checks your boxes.

heading toward Canada, maybe check out Darrington (North Mtn)

Don't miss Bellingham and Galbraith!

Also, The Olympic peninsula in WA offers a ton of outdoors stuff (even some decent surfing) and gives a distinctly different flavor (coastal/rainforest) to the other types of geography found in Washington.

Sounds like a great trip! Hope it comes to fruition.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 10:30 Quote
swellhunter wrote:
I definitely want to do the following (Squamish for a couple days, Whistler for a day, make it out to Tofino for a couple days to grab a surf session if swell and then back to Vancouver) but I am open to ideas from locals.

Figure about a 10 day road trip

Tofino will be the outlier there. It's amazing and well worth it, especially so for your wife and daughter who would enjoy it as non-riders, but it's a good chunk of your 10 days. you need to do a long ferry (always reserve in advance) followed by a long drive. It's a minimum 3 day, better 4 day, trip.

you can do the shore in one day if you ride hard, half a day at mt fromme and half at seymour. Squamish you can spend a day or two and definitely get one day at whistler. you can get a place to stay in squamish for longer and use that as the spot to go to whistler out of as well, though your wife and daughter might want to spend time in whistler too. lots of great stuff to do there aside from biking.

Happy to recommend trails/rides once you get to that point in planning.

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 16:01 Quote
That’s what I’m thinking. Being that I’m coming off a Retallak 3 day trip I want to get some riding in but it’s more family time and sight seeing with some riding thrown in.

Didn’t think Tofino would be such a big deal.

May be better served to just do the Retallak trip and save the family trip for a flight to Vancouver and go from there.

Guess we’ll see how world health is going and around April/May try to start ramping up the planning.

Thank You for your help!!

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 16:03 Quote
swellhunter wrote:
That’s what I’m thinking. Being that I’m coming off a Retallak 3 day trip I want to get some riding in but it’s more family time and sight seeing with some riding thrown in.

Didn’t think Tofino would be such a big deal.

May be better served to just do the Retallak trip and save the family trip for a flight to Vancouver and go from there.

Guess we’ll see how world health is going and around April/May try to start ramping up the planning.

Thank You for your help!!

But then you will miss out on all the goodness that is Washington!

O+
Posted: Dec 11, 2020 at 18:51 Quote
If Tofino is still on your radar, Ucluelet (30 min down the road from Tofino) has Mt. Ozzard, which has had some cool newer trail development going on lately. Waves, trails, and family beach time..

O+
Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 11:03 Quote
I'm heading to Tofino in a few weeks. I guess just heading up Mt. Ozzard exploring from there? Are there any shuttle accessible trails around?

O+
Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 12:19 Quote
No shuttles around that I'm aware of. Ozzard is somewhat of a steep pedal, but not that bad, or long. It's been a bit snowy/wet lately, but the trails might be running better over the coming weeks. Check back for latest conditions closer to your trip.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009085
Mobile Version of Website