Best Brakes

• Previous Page
O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 10:42 Quote
Hey all! I just got an Ibis Ripmo AF that I am stoked on! Though Deore brakes aren't giving me the feel/ performance I am looking for. I am looking for recommendations on brake upgrades.

Work gives me a stipend for "outdoor activities" so I have about $700 to spend if I really want to.

I have been looking at the Hope V4, Magura MT7, TRP G-Spec. I prefer power, modulation, and solid lever feel to the instant on that it sounds like Saints provide. The levers on my current brakes feel flimsy and squeaky. I really want to avoid that. I ride in the PNW, through the winter so wet conditions are a big consideration.

Thoughts??

Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 10:44 Quote
You will like the modulation and looks of V4's but the power is well.....shit basically.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 11:24 Quote
SRAM Codes with metallic pads. Get the RSC version if you feel like spending more.

Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 11:58 Quote
To save repeating myself every new thread maybe have a read through this one too...
https://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=225753

Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 17:20 Quote
After MUCH research into the exact issue...and for XC...I could not, not get XTR.

FL
Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 17:33 Quote
I urge you to consider Hayes dominions. They blow my v4s, codes and saints. They feel better than any brake I’ve ever ridden. I cannot recommend them enough.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 19:41 Quote
JustAnotherRiderHere wrote:
After MUCH research into the exact issue...and for XC...I could not, not get XTR.
x2 on XTR’s if budget isn’t a concern. I had a pair on a demo bike. Just phenomenal.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 0:52 Quote
Highly subjective topic, so good luck! Smile
I loved the Guide RSC, had it on all my bikes until I got the G2 RSC on the latest bike. Metallic pads make them greater, but noisy as hell.
And your rotor choice will obviously influence things as well, 200 front, 180 rear should be standard.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 2:19 Quote
For outright power and Shimano ergonomics, Shigura, something different and powerful, Hayes, something blingy with shit power, Hope, something with decent power and good modulation, Code rsc, something with more power but a bit less modulation, XTR 4 pots, something with bags of power and modulation but poor durability and ergonomics, Magura, the cream of the crop for someone with more money than sense, Trickstuff Diritessima, something for someone who wants even more power and has even less sense, Trickstuff Maxima.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 7:36 Quote
I like my V4’s with trickstuff pads. Love the feel and modulation of Hope compared to the different shimanos I’ve run.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 11:26 Quote
I like V4's as well. I've use M810/820's and Codes amongst others; so I can compare. They modulate really well. They may not have the grabbing power of a Code; but the power and control is there. What I like is it can be 600m in a bike park or 1600m off a peak. It'll be single finger braking all the way. Consistent and confident and no dramas.as you plough into the steeps far too fast....again...

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 11:43 Quote
reidobi wrote:
I like V4's as well. I've use M810/820's and Codes amongst others; so I can compare. They modulate really well. They may not have the grabbing power of a Code; but the power and control is there. What I like is it can be 600m in a bike park or 1600m off a peak. It'll be single finger braking all the way. Consistent and confident and no dramas.as you plough into the steeps far too fast....again...

Really? My V4's had terrible power using the stock pads they came with, yes they could lock the wheel if you pulled hard with 2 fingers but one finger power is not even close to Shimano or especially Shigura. I never had confidence with V4's as I could never scrub speed fast enough when coming in to a corner hot, they have this weird feel where 50% of travel is spongey and maybe scrubs a few mph off, the next 40% is a bit more power like pulling Shimanos a quarter of the way then suddenly the last 10% is full on lock, it's like you either don't have enough power or full lock with them and to get full lock takes quite a bit of finger force. Modulation is of no use if most of the lever travel is giving you a reduction of 5mph each second. Maybe Trickstuff pads resolve the issue but I never got chance to try, soon as I bought xtr 4 pots I realised how much easier could be to brake quickly and efficiently and Shiguras are basically XTR 4 pots on steroids, I can literally lock the front wheel at 20mph on road hanging over the front with about as much lever force as I would have pulled halfway or so on v4's. At the very minimum I would say Shiguras are 50% more powerful than v4's and that's been conservative.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 12:47 Quote
That's not my experience at all. There's the initial 'move to contact' , then there's a point of powerful modulation; and then the real stopping comes in. Never used more than one finger. I'll let the bike roll in steep terrain so they're being used.

My Codes are more powerful (only a bit) but prone to grabby.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 13:41 Quote
I love both my Hope X2's and E4's. I can definitely see what people say about good modulation and less on the spot stopping power with the Hope's, but I really like the modulation of the hope brakes as I try to never stop moving (I mostly like the steep technical stuff at on the mountains around me so stopping altogether would be a bad idea... Smile )

I haven't had any other brakes except Shimano SLX and that was only for a bit because I sold them and replaced them with Hopes.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 17:57 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
For outright power and Shimano ergonomics, Shigura, something different and powerful, Hayes, something blingy with shit power, Hope, something with decent power and good modulation, Code rsc, something with more power but a bit less modulation, XTR 4 pots, something with bags of power and modulation but poor durability and ergonomics, Magura, the cream of the crop for someone with more money than sense, Trickstuff Diritessima, something for someone who wants even more power and has even less sense, Trickstuff Maxima.
Does going the Shigura route mitigate the wandering bite point issue? I have a bike with 2 piston XT’s and am definitely planning on swapping to a 4 piston caliper.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011700
Mobile Version of Website