Show your Niner builds!

PB Forum :: Niner Bikes
Show your Niner builds!
Previous Page |
Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 11:44 Quote
Show off your Niner builds! Thread for getting ideas for your current build, inspiration for a new one, or just to browse/show off your bike!

Posted: Jan 3, 2021 at 7:06 Quote
Not to crazy of a build and not my work, I just purchased my first full suspension RIP9 RDO 29er.
Pretty stock besides a Canes Creek front fork, troy lee designs bar.
I am curious about bash guard options for this model. saw a video earlier today of someone trying out some trial obstacles and cringed when i saw the crank getting wrecked into the boulder.

*** pretty new here not sure how to upload pictures

Posted: Jan 3, 2021 at 22:43 Quote
Vazquezp1987 wrote:
Not to crazy of a build and not my work, I just purchased my first full suspension RIP9 RDO 29er.
Pretty stock besides a Canes Creek front fork, troy lee designs bar.
I am curious about bash guard options for this model. saw a video earlier today of someone trying out some trial obstacles and cringed when i saw the crank getting wrecked into the boulder.

*** pretty new here not sure how to upload pictures

If it’s the newest RIP version, the ISCGO5 mounting is available for a bash/chain guide. Would recommend either the OneUp or MRP versions of these!

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 9:46 Quote
My Rip 9. This picture makes me realize how dirty I’ve gotten it.

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 9:47 Quote
I will post a newer photo when I’ve gotten one.

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 13:02 Quote

My Ripley AF (ordered in january) was cancelled by Jenson but I was able to find this Rip 9 used (like new) on Pinkbike. No regrets so far!

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 13:55 Quote
liner33 wrote:

My Ripley AF (ordered in january) was cancelled by Jenson but I was able to find this Rip 9 used (like new) on Pinkbike. No regrets so far!

Mine's at 700 miles and still going strong!

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 17:39 Quote
>>Mine's at 700 miles and still going strong!

Nice! Weather is just drying out in the NE so looking at good stretch of riding coming up. Every ride I take I'm liking the Rip 9 more.

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 18:41 Quote
liner33 wrote:
>>Mine's at 700 miles and still going strong!

Nice! Weather is just drying out in the NE so looking at good stretch of riding coming up. Every ride I take I'm liking the Rip 9 more.

Top tips for RIP upgrades:

- 160mm fork or air spring upgrade. Raises bottom bracket height and slackens head angle.
- Any other shock than the DPX2. It sucks so much on this bike. I have a Rockshox Super Deluxe air and a Super Deluxe Coil and both are amazing. Would recommend the air for most situations, coil only for chunky bike park/rowdy trails.
- Better wheels and/or faster engaging hubs. The DT 370s are atrocious so at least buy the kit to change to a ratchet style rear hub.
- Cushcore. Changes the feeling of the whole bike through tech and chunk, sooooo composed and less flexy on the rear end. You sacrifice acceleration but it’s well worth it IMO.

Posted: Aug 22, 2021 at 8:29 Quote
So far really happy with bike-- climbs pretty well, descends incredibly well, and is really comfortable for my build. Would love if it felt a little peppier on the uphills and I wouldn't mind fewer pedal (and occasionally bottom bracket) strikes.

Biggest issue with the bike is a creaking that is driving me insane!

It occurs only when the pedals are under load. For example, steep hill in high gear or when pushing on pedal to wheelie/manual. Doesn't occur when cycling through suspension.

I've removed, cleaned, greased and re-installed cranks/BB, rear cassette, rear derailleur, derailleur hanger, and thru axle-- all numerous times and nothing seems to make it go away. In fact, it only seems to have gotten worse. I can't find any cracks and the frame is essentially brand new and been doing this since my first real ride. Any ideas or similar experience? I'm convinced it's from the rear triangle/drive train area. I suppose I can replace the DUB BB, but I'm pretty sure that's not gonna do it.

Thanks for any advice. Maybe I'll start a new thread on this.

Posted: Aug 23, 2021 at 5:07 Quote
liner33 wrote:
So far really happy with bike-- climbs pretty well, descends incredibly well, and is really comfortable for my build. Would love if it felt a little peppier on the uphills and I wouldn't mind fewer pedal (and occasionally bottom bracket) strikes.

Biggest issue with the bike is a creaking that is driving me insane!

It occurs only when the pedals are under load. For example, steep hill in high gear or when pushing on pedal to wheelie/manual. Doesn't occur when cycling through suspension.

I've removed, cleaned, greased and re-installed cranks/BB, rear cassette, rear derailleur, derailleur hanger, and thru axle-- all numerous times and nothing seems to make it go away. In fact, it only seems to have gotten worse. I can't find any cracks and the frame is essentially brand new and been doing this since my first real ride. Any ideas or similar experience? I'm convinced it's from the rear triangle/drive train area. I suppose I can replace the DUB BB, but I'm pretty sure that's not gonna do it.

Thanks for any advice. Maybe I'll start a new thread on this.

Mine does the same exact thing. I have the XT build and it sounds like you have a SRAM build so we can eliminate components as the culprit. My hunch is it's the frame bearings, but not 100% sure. Let me know if you get yours checked out further and if you find anything. Definitely not because of a compromised frame because I've been beating mine for around 700 miles now and check the frame everywhere for cracks. The creaking started pretty much after the first few rides.

Posted: Aug 23, 2021 at 11:59 Quote
Thanks for the reply. Really interesting to hear you've had the same experience and it kind of makes me feel better. I'm moving on to pivots next...I can't imagine it's a bearing on such a new frame and I can't get it to creak when I "flex" or torque the rear triangle, but maybe just removing the pivot bolts, cleaning and reinstalling will fix it.

I think spokes rubbing is an intriguing possibility and I've even had someone suggest checking the chain.....anyhow, I don't have any bike shops near me, but I may be making a trip to one eventually. I'll let you know what I find. I'll be really happy if/when I can get it to stop.

Posted: Aug 23, 2021 at 12:24 Quote
liner33 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Really interesting to hear you've had the same experience and it kind of makes me feel better. I'm moving on to pivots next...I can't imagine it's a bearing on such a new frame and I can't get it to creak when I "flex" or torque the rear triangle, but maybe just removing the pivot bolts, cleaning and reinstalling will fix it.

I think spokes rubbing is an intriguing possibility and I've even had someone suggest checking the chain.....anyhow, I don't have any bike shops near me, but I may be making a trip to one eventually. I'll let you know what I find. I'll be really happy if/when I can get it to stop.

I just talked to a Niner sales rep and he said it's the frame bearings; they can go bad apparently after not much riding.

Posted: Aug 23, 2021 at 18:34 Quote
foppe wrote:
I just talked to a Niner sales rep and he said it's the frame bearings; they can go bad apparently after not much riding.
Wow. That would be quick for sure. Did he happen to say which pivot is prone to failure? This makes me think I'll go through the pivots, clean, loctite and re-install...maybe I can find the bad bearing in the process.

Posted: Aug 25, 2021 at 9:48 Quote
bigquotesMine does the same exact thing. I have the XT build and it sounds like you have a SRAM build so we can eliminate components as the culprit. My hunch is it's the frame bearings, but not 100% sure.

Not sure why I haven't thought of it before, but have you applied load to the pedals, etc with the rear shock locked out? I did and the issue almost completely disappears. Riding hills, pulling wheelies, etc are pretty normal again...makes me think it may be a pivot as you suggested. Let me know if it changes your experience.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008163
Mobile Version of Website