Show your Niner builds!

PB Forum :: Niner Bikes
Show your Niner builds!
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 26, 2021 at 5:15 Quote
liner33 wrote:
bigquotesMine does the same exact thing. I have the XT build and it sounds like you have a SRAM build so we can eliminate components as the culprit. My hunch is it's the frame bearings, but not 100% sure.

Not sure why I haven't thought of it before, but have you applied load to the pedals, etc with the rear shock locked out? I did and the issue almost completely disappears. Riding hills, pulling wheelies, etc are pretty normal again...makes me think it may be a pivot as you suggested. Let me know if it changes your experience.

Ya, my RIP has to be compressing/moving the linkage for it to make to creaking. I put it on the ground and just tried cranking down on the pedals super hard with my hands, and it definitely makes a super loud creak (bottom linkage portion?). I don't have a bearing extractor yet so when I take the bike in for a fork service, I'll probably have them swap all the frame bearings.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 at 6:56 Quote
[Quote="foppe"]
liner33 wrote:
[QUOTE]I put it on the ground and just tried cranking down on the pedals super hard with my hands, and it definitely makes a super loud creak (bottom linkage portion?). I don't have a bearing extractor yet so when I take the bike in for a fork service, I'll probably have them swap all the frame bearings.

Yup, mine is the same with hands torquing hard on cranks. Will swap out the DUB BB in a few days and wondering about the crank bolt too. I also need to do a better job inspecting the BB shell. Last move will be dealing with pivots if other stuff doesn't fix it. Anyhow I'll shut up on this thread until I get it figured out.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 at 7:23 Quote
[Quote="liner33"]
foppe wrote:
liner33 wrote:
[QUOTE]I put it on the ground and just tried cranking down on the pedals super hard with my hands, and it definitely makes a super loud creak (bottom linkage portion?). I don't have a bearing extractor yet so when I take the bike in for a fork service, I'll probably have them swap all the frame bearings.

Yup, mine is the same with hands torquing hard on cranks. Will swap out the DUB BB in a few days and wondering about the crank bolt too. I also need to do a better job inspecting the BB shell. Last move will be dealing with pivots if other stuff doesn't fix it. Anyhow I'll shut up on this thread until I get it figured out.

I got confirmation from a rep that it's the frame bearings. I've pulled my cranks/BB to clean and grease them, helped with nothing. Also checked that it wasn't the rear axle and pedals.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 at 11:58 Quote
foppe wrote:
I got confirmation from a rep that it's the frame bearings. I've pulled my cranks/BB to clean and grease them, helped with nothing. Also checked that it wasn't the rear axle and pedals.

Ha. I hear you. I've pulled the cranks/BB so many times now it's embarrassing. The SRAM DUB BB is inexpensive enough that I figured that I should at least check that off the list. I've become pretty obsessed with trying to solve this ...starting to bum me out on rides. Hope the new bearings fix it for you. Let us know if it works and which bearing/pivot was the culprit.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 at 12:08 Quote
liner33 wrote:
foppe wrote:

Ha. I hear you. I've pulled the cranks/BB so many times now it's embarrassing. The SRAM DUB BB is inexpensive enough that I figured that I should at least check that off the list. I've become pretty obsessed with trying to solve this ...starting to bum me out on rides. Hope the new bearings fix it for you. Let us know if it works and which bearing/pivot was the culprit.

Will do!

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 7:38 Quote
OK. Finally got around to servicing pivot bolts- all removed and re-greased and problem solved! They were outrageously dry. Bearings all feel good...which I would hope given how new the frame is. Embarrassed that I didn't get to this sooner, but awesome to be bouncing around in silence again.

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 13:11 Quote
liner33 wrote:
OK. Finally got around to servicing pivot bolts- all removed and re-greased and problem solved! They were outrageously dry. Bearings all feel good...which I would hope given how new the frame is. Embarrassed that I didn't get to this sooner, but awesome to be bouncing around in silence again.

Glad that fixed your problem! Mine ended up being a common frame crack near the BB shell…

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2022 at 10:36 Quote
So 1/2 niner at least Smile Got hold of a craked frame and made a new steel front for it and got a new rear Smile
Hope you like it its a bit slacker and longer.

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Mar 24, 2022 at 14:20 Quote
I don't have a pic but we have lots of niners being built at our shop

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019056
Mobile Version of Website