Rockshox Monarch slow rebound, no lockout - a common problem?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rockshox Monarch slow rebound, no lockout - a common problem?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 15:29 Quote
Hey guys,

my Monarch (RT3 I believe) will need a full rebuild, as the rebound is too slow no matter what the dial is set at. I just wanted to ask before I drop $150, because I've read that it's a common problem with this particular model and I don't want to invest in fixing the damper if it's going to happen again in a few years.

The partial lockout, along with the other two platforms, also have no effect when you switch them on. I would like to have that feature for the pump track because I don't think it has ever worked. (Bought the bike used) Unfortunately the two year warranty will not cover a replacement, as it's a 2017 model.

Should I just deal with the lack of rebound until I can afford a new shock? Or should I invest in the rebuild and hope it doesn't degrade again over the next few years? Any advice is greatly appreciated, in advance.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 23:28 Quote
Tough choice. It's hard for me to recommend spending any money on this shock, other than a $90 megneg upgrade. $150 seems steep when you can get a take-off new one for about the same price. I'd do your best to get a dpx2 or something similar. But if money is tight, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 16:20 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
Tough choice. It's hard for me to recommend spending any money on this shock, other than a $90 megneg upgrade. $150 seems steep when you can get a take-off new one for about the same price. I'd do your best to get a dpx2 or something similar. But if money is tight, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I'm a few days late, but I ended up not doing the rebuild and I kind of regret it because the shop was willing to do a one time 40 dollar discount. Do you mind if I ask why you wouldn't recommend putting money into this shock? I now have to start the process of looking for a new-used replacement because I agree that 150 is too much, but I wish I had just taken the easy route.

Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 16:37 Quote
sfb123 wrote:
iliveonnitro wrote:

I'm a few days late, but I ended up not doing the rebuild and I kind of regret it because the shop was willing to do a one time 40 dollar discount. Do you mind if I ask why you wouldn't recommend putting money into this shock? I now have to start the process of looking for a new-used replacement because I agree that 150 is too much, but I wish I had just taken the easy route.

Do the rebuild yourself. It's pretty easy. You can look at the instructions from RS website before buying the kit. Pretty satisfying doing it yourself, too. This is so the cheapest route.

The megneg made it feel like a new shock and was completely worth it. The dpx2 is a little nicer and more reliable. imo, the monarch is too much of a hassle. I got lucky with a unit that worked, but if I had to drop 150 on it because of the issues you're having, I'd rather find a good replacement.

I still have my dpx2, but I shelved it after a few rides because I went coil. Coil is a worthy upgrade if your trails are gnar enough to warrant it. It felt like a new bike. Again. If you pedal a lot, though, go with dpx2 or RS super deluxe.

Posted: Dec 14, 2020 at 9:21 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
Do the rebuild yourself.
I will look into doing it myself. Appreciate the help!

Posted: Dec 16, 2020 at 8:21 Quote
The Monarch is rebuild-friendly - you can pump up the IFP with a shock pump if you get the RS adapter.

I changed damper oil in my Monarch RT and rebled it. It worked OK, but no lockout.

So I took it apart again. The lockout is accomplished with a blue hat-looking piece. It's attached to a rod but the hat+rod can be pulled out by hand. IFP pressure drives it down and the lockout lever pushes it back up.

Mine was just stuck in the up position. I unstuck it, pushed it down and rebled the shock. Works correctly now.

Posted: Dec 18, 2020 at 11:13 Quote
I’m not sure that doing it your self the first time is cheaper unless you already have most of the tools.

You need:
200 hour rebuild kit
RS IFP fill fitting
High pressure shock pump
Oil
Loc Tite
Pick(s)
Vice with soft jaws
Shaft clamps
Sockets and ratchet
Torque wrench would be good
Oil catch
Am I forgetting anything?

Posted: Dec 18, 2020 at 13:18 Quote
Probably want something like Slickoleum for the seals and RedRum for the air can.

Shocks often don't need a full rebuild, just new oil and rebleed and 300psi in the IFP is often enough to fix one.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005396
Mobile Version of Website