XT 12 Speed disappointment

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
XT 12 Speed disappointment
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 15:34 Quote
I've been riding the 11 speed xt groupset issue free for years and got 12 speed recently. It works well in dry, clean conditions but is a disaster in wet. It grinds badly with some mud in there and shifting is really sloppy.

The mech is also much longer than 11sp and I keep catching it on obstacles . Is anybody else having the same issues ? I bought this groupset after reading all the great reviews of it but am left wanting to go back to 11sp !

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 0:32 Quote
Never want to change from 11 to 12 speeds. Read lots of issues as well as good things but all in all too finicky and anything slightly off is going to effect shifting as a result.

Had a go of my Buddy's SLX 12 speed and that 50t + big cog felt way too low a gear for me and wasn't impressed with it overall.

Never considered the effect you've experienced with catching mech on obstacles but suppose it's the fact the mech sits lower to accommodate big cog, not the fact the cage is longer.

Reckon you should go back to a reliable 11 speed set up, if it ain't broke.......... 2 cents

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 3:51 Quote
Same here, staying with 11 speeds. Cheap, reliable, light, what's not to like. I am glad people are moving to 12, so 11 speed stuff is constantly on sale Wink

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 6:09 Quote
I don’t regret moving to sh 12sp from 11, I think it works better, shifts smoother but is absolutely more finicky. B tension is very key, even 1/8 a turn can make a big difference.
I try and avoid muddy rides, but even when I can’t everything gets noisy and gritty, but might make sense as the chain is narrower.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.004926
Mobile Version of Website