Race BMX build

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Race BMX build
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 19:07 Quote
My 8 yr old son just started racing BMX. He currently rides a junior cruiser but I want to build him a 20 inch race bike.

If you have all the money in the world what frame or other components would you recommend?

Posted: Dec 13, 2020 at 12:42 Quote
If I had to pick anything, I'm kind of old school in my beliefs but the new carbon tech/etc is really annoying.

I would go with a Supercross Rs7 or Yess,
Answer Dagger forks, Answer carbon bars, bombshell still makes fantastic components aswell. Their SL wheelsets are fairly bombproof and still light.

So much has changed, even being out of it for only 5 years..

Posted: Jan 1, 2021 at 4:31 Quote
I wouldn't ever use a carbon fork personally. I had a Redline Flight carbon frame, and built it up with an Odyssey R32.

Also.. Speedco Velox carbon frame, Standard 125R frame, S&M Steel Panther frame, Shimano DXR cranks, Profile Elite cranks and hubs, Thomson Elite stem.

Posted: Jan 4, 2021 at 13:48 Quote
depends how crazy you wanna go with it but for me personally probably stealth hubs or profile elites or a chris king. something high engagement.

alienation acme carbon rims. sapin spokes butted or cx rays

for cranks probably carbon or drop the money on rnc ti cranks.

id get a standard byke co frame. the one chromo race frame they have is 3.8 pounds.

tires probably something like the mitas speedo lt 1.90 the one version at that width is like the lightest bmx tire at that size on the market. go skinnier rear if you want. carbon pivotal post with one of the light race pivotal seats.

i think its pauls but their v brakes are light and their lever is super light.

answer has the dagger forks in carbon. S&M odyssey standard or idk maybe ciari race forks. depending on the frame chosen kink ceramic titanium headset or a king tapered one.

eleven or ciari stem. super light. lots of sizes.

or just replicate this
https://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/2013/10/21/crumpton-bmx-worlds-lightest-proxl/#:~:text=I%20imagine%20that%20quite%20a,kg%2C%20(11.89%20pounds).

might need to swap a few things out for sizing reasons but yeah lol. if it was just about spending money.

Posted: Jan 5, 2022 at 18:56 Quote
At that age dont worry too much about breaking carbon parts. On that note have seen a lot of parents go all out and get a really nice bike only to have the kid crash hard once and never see them again. Maybe just look at a decent complete around the 600- 700 dollar range. That will get you some decent stuff and if they give it up you wont be stuck with a 2000 dollar bike that you cannot get your money out of. If the frame is good on your purchase you can always upgrade it a little at a time and keep the old stuff to either sell or put back on if you want to sell it. My daughter has been at this for 10 years so I have seen just about everything out there.

Posted: Jan 10, 2022 at 11:46 Quote
core-macneil-rider wrote:
depends how crazy you wanna go with it but for me personally probably stealth hubs or profile elites or a chris king. something high engagement.

alienation acme carbon rims. sapin spokes butted or cx rays

for cranks probably carbon or drop the money on rnc ti cranks.

id get a standard byke co frame. the one chromo race frame they have is 3.8 pounds.

tires probably something like the mitas speedo lt 1.90 the one version at that width is like the lightest bmx tire at that size on the market. go skinnier rear if you want. carbon pivotal post with one of the light race pivotal seats.

i think its pauls but their v brakes are light and their lever is super light.

answer has the dagger forks in carbon. S&M odyssey standard or idk maybe ciari race forks. depending on the frame chosen kink ceramic titanium headset or a king tapered one.

eleven or ciari stem. super light. lots of sizes.

or just replicate this
https://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/2013/10/21/crumpton-bmx-worlds-lightest-proxl/#:~:text=I%20imagine%20that%20quite%20a,kg%2C%20(11.89%20pounds).

might need to swap a few things out for sizing reasons but yeah lol. if it was just about spending money.

Even though this is a year old, I’ll chime in. My son is 8, ended 2021 as NAG 3

Frame, plenty of great frames available. The top 5 at that age are all on aluminum frames , even though some carbon frames are available. I won’t tell what frame is best , kids can win on most high end frames without issue. Fork, get carbon, the stem is important for bike fit, bars get carbon and get a set to get the rider in the proper position. Wheels, they count a lot. Carbon hoops and good hubs, we have E6 with Crupi hubs and Ti spokes. Now for the most important, proper length cranks and gearing.

Previous Page | Next Page

Active Forum Threads
9 mins ago - NOBL or We Are One
14 mins ago - Quality / Custom DJ frame
15 mins ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"
21 mins ago - Shimano M7 Chainring Bolts
22 mins ago - Geometry & Suspension design - what creates bike characteristics
24 mins ago - The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
53 mins ago - Shimano lever and caliper compatiblity
55 mins ago - Tyre suggestions: DJ, BMX and skate park?
56 mins ago - [STOLEN BIKES] Post Your Stolen Bike Ad Here (Europe Only)
1 hours ago - PB BuySell Needs a Feedback System
1 hours ago - Trek Slash 2021 ?
2 hours ago - Vallee Bras Du Nord - Anyone been?
2 hours ago - USA-Psychic for Love +27603493288 - Win Lost Love Back in Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, lost love spell caster
2 hours ago - 【+27603493288】Astrologer and Best Lost Love Spell Caster in Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida
2 hours ago - 100 (or more) days of biking in 2022!
2 hours ago - California Psychic healer How to get back you’re ex 【+27603493288】 Love back solutions in Maryland, Alabama, Alaska, Arizona
2 hours ago - Group of Automotive Hotness
2 hours ago - Onyx Vesper Hub Problems
2 hours ago - help with c2w scheme bike, sub 3k suggestions
2 hours ago - Shimano I Spec EV to Sram Matchmaker lever
2 hours ago - How to get back you’re ex 【+27603493288】- psychic healer - Love back solutions in New York, Texas, California
2 hours ago - Drivetrains for ebikes need serious improvement
3 hours ago - Modern FS bikes for tall guys (^ 6’4”)
3 hours ago - 2015 Norco Range Derailleur Hanger
3 hours ago - Giant Trance X

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005836
Mobile Version of Website