Flat pedals to restore confidence

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Flat pedals to restore confidence
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 16:04 Quote
I’m thinking about running flat pedals for the winter. I think it may help me with confidence in the bike. I took sometime off and I feel like I’m whimping out in certain areas. I haven’t used flats in along time and I hope it works. Anyone else try this approach?

Posted: Dec 8, 2020 at 1:41 Quote
I was shite with clips, flats for me! I can put a foot down anytime!

Posted: Dec 8, 2020 at 1:56 Quote
I used to ride clipless, and it made me develop bad habits (like jumping the bike with my legs). Now I’m going back and relearning on flats so I can develop the right technique.
Clipless never scared me on techy stuff. Being clipped in just means I’m sending it and committing lol.

Posted: Dec 8, 2020 at 2:22 Quote
Proper flats and you are winning... Not all are equal.

Posted: Dec 8, 2020 at 4:31 Quote
Artjr wrote:
I’m thinking about running flat pedals for the winter. I think it may help me with confidence in the bike. I took sometime off and I feel like I’m whimping out in certain areas. I haven’t used flats in along time and I hope it works. Anyone else try this approach?
A lot of people are switching between flats and clips for various reasons (improve technique, terrain, just for fun etc...). Just be sure to get proper flat pedals (i.e. DMR, Nukeproof Horizons etc..) and shoes (5-ten etc..) to maximize fun. Some of us never went back to clips later... Big Grin

Posted: Dec 8, 2020 at 5:10 Quote
Yeah, the amount my 5.10’s stick to my DMR Vaults is insane. Feels like being clipped in lol

FL
Posted: Dec 8, 2020 at 6:19 Quote
5.10's with OneUp composite flats, if I place my foot wrong it is very difficult to set it right.

Posted: Dec 8, 2020 at 15:55 Quote
Shimano A530 are perfect for me, clips on one side and flats on the other.

Posted: Dec 10, 2020 at 5:55 Quote
I picked up some Vaults to use regular winter hiking boots on my 4 season fatbike last winter and I never took them off when the snow melted. As others said, good flats plus 5.10s or other bike specific flat-soled shoes hold your feet like glue. With 5.10s I feel like my feet are more planted than with my Shimano SPDs I used for the prior 12 or so years. On the odd occasion where you do slip a pedal though, there will be blood. Worth it. Clipless has been relegated to the gravel bike only.

Posted: Dec 10, 2020 at 6:39 Quote
I don't think it has been mentioned, but 5.10s and a decent flat pedal are a great combo! Very confidence inspiring for me as I always feel like I'm connected, but can take my foot off anytime. Which is super important to me as I have a really bad ankle (2 plates, 12 screws, some wire, synthetic bone graft/cement).

Posted: Dec 10, 2020 at 6:53 Quote
m1dg3t wrote:
I don't think it has been mentioned

LOL!

Posted: Dec 10, 2020 at 7:32 Quote
magicstop wrote:
LOL!

Wink Big Grin

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2020 at 9:05 Quote
Artjr wrote:

Flats are not a bad thing, but they aren't a fix for any riding issue. They can be a tool, but just putting them on won't help directly.

If you're having issues with confidence (we all are, it just depends on how gnarly it is before self-preservation kicks in...), the trick is primarily to build up gradually. Find a challenging tech section with easy entry and exit, and session it. Slow down a lot and get composed before dropping in, then let the bike roll through, knowing you can regain control on exit if it gets fast. Repeat that section (and others like it) a handful of times, to get used to letting go of the brakes and allowing the bike to work.

Once you have that mentality of sections where you can slow down, and sections where you need to get off the brakes and let it run, you'll be able to break every trail down into segments like that. The better you get, the smaller a piece of ground you need to brake and settle, and the longer, steeper sections you can let loose on. It's just a matter of continuing to work that progression.

If you're not feeling confident on a particular day (perhaps because it's wet, you're tired, etc.), don't sketch down with your foot out, dragging the brakes. That builds bad habits. Instead, slow nearly to a stop before technical bits, breaking the trail down into smaller bites. Or, just ride lower-angle terrain that you can ride with confidence. It's massively better skill-building to rip an easy trail with good form, than it is to sketch down something with poor form. If you do the latter, you'll just reinforce those bad habits of being rigid and defensive. If you do the former, you'll reinforce the good habits of staying loose and looking far down the trail.

Posted: Dec 10, 2020 at 12:05 Quote
I was a clipless all the time rider up until three years ago or so. My first dh bike I put flats on it because that’s what my friends ride. Turns out I actually prefer them now.

Deity Deftrap for $50 if you want to try name brand for a less expensive buy in, the dmr Vault is over $150. I can’t feel much of a difference between the two honestly.

O+
Posted: Dec 11, 2020 at 9:40 Quote
I learned on flats. Got all my skills (jumping, tech, etc) and then switch off between clips and flats. Helps me keep up my skills for both so I can stay on top when racing with clips or fun rides with flats. I would get a composite pedal, tougher than the metal, and have a few more benefits like pedal grip in the wet and it gives me a bit more confidence. I own the Deity Defttrap pedals and they are great! plenty of other great options too. Good Luck!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010699
Mobile Version of Website