Press fit bottom brackets

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
Press fit bottom brackets
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2020 at 11:18 Quote
looking at the current Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt series and I see that all models have pressed fit bottom brackets.
Are there any concerns over these compared to threaded bottom brackets?
greater maintenance?
issues over replacement?
Many thanks for any feedback.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2020 at 17:22 Quote
wwh wrote:
looking at the current Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt series and I see that all models have pressed fit bottom brackets.
greater maintenance?
issues over replacement?

Lots of people have dislikes with press fit, a lot of it comes down to the fact that the threaded is the old way of doing it and there was not really a good reason to change it. They also have had creaking issues although I have not had issues with the BB92 on my Rocky bike. Home mechanics like myself needed to buy a new tool to install and remove press fit which sucked. I really hated the move to press fit.

All that being said, I am sure the manufacturing process saves a little money not having to thread the frame. Now that I have used press fit for a while now I have become fine with it. My Shimano 24mm PF92 BB is the lowest maintenance and longest lasting piece of my bike. Tied with the cranks and stem of course.

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2020 at 12:10 Quote
ptrcarson wrote:
wwh wrote:
greater maintenance?
issues over replacement?

Lots of people have dislikes with press fit, a lot of it comes down to the fact that the threaded is the old way of doing it and there was not really a good reason to change it. They also have had creaking issues although I have not had issues with the BB92 on my Rocky bike. Home mechanics like myself needed to buy a new tool to install and remove press fit which sucked. I really hated the move to press fit.

All that being said, I am sure the manufacturing process saves a little money not having to thread the frame. Now that I have used press fit for a while now I have become fine with it. My Shimano 24mm PF92 BB is the lowest maintenance and longest lasting piece of my bike. Tied with the cranks and stem of course.

i appreciate you taking the time to respond and educate me.
Many thanks

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2020 at 14:00 Quote
wwh wrote:
greater maintenance?
issues over replacement?

My observation on my last Rocky, a 2018 Instinct, was that the PF system worked flawlessly. No creaks for the life of the bike and I got three seasons out of the bottom bracket. There are three basic catches though: 1) you must use sleeve retaining compound and should use a plastic bb cup eg Shimano; 2) you need to be comfortable around a bearing extractor/press; and 3) you better like Shimano cranks, they're quickly becoming the only crank with a 24 mm spindle, and you DO NOT want to run a 30 mm spindle or DUB in a PF 92 shell. I put a more thorough explanation up at wrenchcenter.com

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2020 at 16:13 Quote
Agree with all the above. Only problem I've had is with non Shimano, metal outer pf's.
It's real easy to have them not go in straight & score the bb interface. Shimano, being plastic is easy to replace even without a proper bearing press(though not recommended).

O+
Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 13:47 Quote
cjeder wrote:
wwh wrote:
greater maintenance?
issues over replacement?

My observation on my last Rocky, a 2018 Instinct, was that the PF system worked flawlessly. No creaks for the life of the bike and I got three seasons out of the bottom bracket. There are three basic catches though: 1) you must use sleeve retaining compound and should use a plastic bb cup eg Shimano; 2) you need to be comfortable around a bearing extractor/press; and 3) you better like Shimano cranks, they're quickly becoming the only crank with a 24 mm spindle, and you DO NOT want to run a 30 mm spindle or DUB in a PF 92 shell. I put a more thorough explanation up at wrenchcenter.com

great info, thanks!

Posted: Dec 22, 2020 at 11:58 Quote
I'm looking at getting a RM bike here in the spring and was worried about the press fit vs thread in bb. I saw a lot of posts trying to shy people away from changing a press fit themselves. Now, I'm an industrial mechanic by trade and changing bearings is common on my job. No where have I seen heat/cold mentioned in the install process. ie toss the new bearing in the freezer for a while, and take a hairdryer ( or very carefully a heat gun on low), warm the area until its hot to the touch, then bam new bearing should slide right in. Easy peasy, in theory at least.

O+
Posted: Dec 26, 2020 at 14:38 Quote
Tombonombona wrote:
I'm looking at getting a RM bike here in the spring and was worried about the press fit vs thread in bb. I saw a lot of posts trying to shy people away from changing a press fit themselves. Now, I'm an industrial mechanic by trade and changing bearings is common on my job. No where have I seen heat/cold mentioned in the install process. ie toss the new bearing in the freezer for a while, and take a hairdryer ( or very carefully a heat gun on low), warm the area until its hot to the touch, then bam new bearing should slide right in. Easy peasy, in theory at least.

I don't do that but I have found it easy with the least expensive park tool press.

Posted: Dec 26, 2020 at 18:11 Quote
I thought pf was gonna be a nightmare. Turned out to be quite the opposite. I weigh just a tick over 200 lbs and my bike's pf bb has been trouble free going on two years now (knock on wood). If it worries you, you can always buy a crankset that will accept a wheels mfg thread together bb.A pf bb would not keep my from buying the bike I want.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007389
Mobile Version of Website