What do I hate Presta so much ?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
What do I hate Presta so much ?
O+
Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 15:27 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
Dkutassy wrote:
Enjoy using your shrader valves.

The rest of us terrible mechanics will continue to effortlessly use presta with no issues what so ever like we have for the past hundred years.
I enjoy using schraders in every other application as well, without a single issue. On another note, the industry that suffers the most from the lack of usefull engineering is the one you so acclaim to belong to. Mechanics my ass.
Facts butthurt you, again not my issue

You are the only one that seems butt-hurt here. Sorry that the fact I like presta gets you that way. Sometimes when so many people don't have the same problems with breaking their [insert bike part here] as you do maybe the problem isn't the part. There are also lots that prefer schreder, good on you guys.

I gave lots of reasons I like Presta and you basically told me I was an idiot for having a different opinion than you. I don't need you to think I know what I am doing but I am also not the one breaking my valves so there is that.

Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 15:39 Quote
ptrcarson wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
Dkutassy wrote:

The rest of us terrible mechanics will continue to effortlessly use presta with no issues what so ever like we have for the past hundred years.
I enjoy using schraders in every other application as well, without a single issue. On another note, the industry that suffers the most from the lack of usefull engineering is the one you so acclaim to belong to. Mechanics my ass.

You are the only one that seems butt-hurt here. Sorry that the fact I like presta gets you that way. Sometimes when so many people don't have the same problems with breaking their [insert bike part here] as you do maybe the problem isn't the part. There are also lots that prefer schreder, good on you guys.

I gave lots of reasons I like Presta and you basically told me I was an idiot for having a different opinion than you. I don't need you to think I know what I am doing but I am also not the one breaking my valves so there is that.

Absolutely nothing wrong in having an alternative opinion and there is something wrong in throwing around insults because someones views don't align with anothers....especially when talking about a topic as boring as valve stems.

However my opinion is Schrader is superior but I'm not willing to go drilling into a £2000 carbon wheelset to remedy that. My reasons other than the fact I have broken many Presta valves is the same reasons for everything laid out in this article.

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/this-is-why-its-time-to-stop-using-presta-valves/

O+
Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 15:51 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
ptrcarson wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:

Absolutely nothing wrong in having an alternative opinion and there is something wrong in throwing around insults because someones views don't align with anothers....especially when talking about a topic as boring as valve stems.

However my opinion is Schrader is superior but I'm not willing to go drilling into a £2000 carbon wheelset to remedy that. My reasons other than the fact I have broken many Presta valves is the same reasons for everything laid out in this article.

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/this-is-why-its-time-to-stop-using-presta-valves/

Hey man, no worries on your opinion, I had no issue with anything you said. I though it was quite ridiculous how @adespotoskyli participated in this convo that was all I was talking about.

I would be sad to have to use Schreder but I would get over it in probably 5 seconds and likely never think of it again. Just like I never thought of my presta valves until I saw this thread.

Happy trails

Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 17:24 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Lol don't make this a copy of the AXS thread..you're both wasting your own time

I was more or less trolling him with the last post

Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 17:28 Quote
[Quote="Pigglet13"][Quote="Dkutassy"]
adespotoskyli wrote:

Interesting observation. A few of my riding mates are mechanical engineers and their bikes are often Donald ducked due to poor maintainance. I’ve got a foot in both camps, started out as a mechanic and then trained as an engineer and I’m often astounded at the lack of mechanical sympathy/ineptitude of mechanical engineers when it comes to mechanical objects. Anyhoo, 30 years of playing with peddle bikes and I have yet to knacker a presta valve. I’ve gummed a couple up with stans race sealantbut ive done the same on the schrader valves on my quad using goo.
I can’t get excited about valves. Boobs I can get excited about, valves....non!

I'm on the mechanic side with industrial equipment but learned a lot about engineering just kind of as a hobby (scared of dropping $100k+ for college). I have plenty of complaints about stuff engineers designed on forklifts lol. Also a few complaints about the engineers who designed the massive anhydrous ammonia refrigeration system that I now maintain.

Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 18:18 Quote
Well just because an 'engineer' designed something doesn't mean it's flawless, if that was the case there would be no such thing as technological advancement. I think a lot of artists that get millions that display shit in the Tate modern ect have no artistic talent or drawing ability and yet they are raking in millions whilst me at home imo who can draw far better is earning nothing from that. Just because someone gets accepted into university and follows it through with a career doesn't mean they are wizzards in their field. I've been to doctors on a few occasions knowing I have an ear infection only to be told no I don't, go back a week later when it's worse 'yea you've got an ear infection, here's some antibiotics'... Or a dentist that thinks it's ok to take Asprin and Ibuprofen at the same time.. as you get older you realise this shit, from my perspective I couldn't give a shit what people have on a piece of paper, ofc education and experience counts for something but it doesn't tell the whole story whatsoever.

Hell I have first hand experience of this, I was working in a locomotive repair place as office staff with no engineering background or education... I was on one of the units inspecting and reported a fault to one of the engineers...it was basically a faulty waterpump, he didn't have a clue how to fix it, I told him what to do, a guy who is not an engineer telling a guy who has operated on the same locomotives for 5 or more years needs to be told by a f*cking administrator how to fix a waterpump... This is the way society works nowadays, plebs in high positions and as managers on 100k salarys while graduates from university are lucky if they get a checkout job in Walmart. But as the saying goes 'it's who you know, not what you know'

Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 22:52 Quote
ptrcarson wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
Dkutassy wrote:

What you or I or anyone likes it's irrelevant. It's a shitty design and that's the reason it's not used anywhere else. It doesn't offer any advantages over a shrader and is flimsy, that's it. It's not what you like, it's what it is.

Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 23:08 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Lol don't make this a copy of the AXS thread..you're both wasting your own time
It's allready a copy, a lot of "mechanics" express what they like and think it's a valid argument. It's like ketchup over mustard it seems

Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 23:15 Quote
[Quote="Dkutassy"][Quote="Pigglet13"]
Dkutassy wrote:

I'm on the mechanic side with industrial equipment but learned a lot about engineering just kind of as a hobby (scared of dropping $100k+ for college). I have plenty of complaints about stuff engineers designed on forklifts lol. Also a few complaints about the engineers who designed the massive anhydrous ammonia refrigeration system that I now maintain.
backround in the industrial equipment, tell us where else in the indusrty did you see presta's instead of schrader style valves?

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 at 6:46 Quote
[Quote="adespotoskyli"][Quote="Dkutassy"]
Pigglet13 wrote:

backround in the industrial equipment, tell us where else in the indusrty did you see presta's instead of schrader style valves?

No where and that's completely irrelevant because we don't use pneumatic systems. For heavy industrial applications that see 24 hour 7 days a week operation anything pneumatic is to unreliable especially if exposed valve stems exist. Even if we did it's a completely different application with design standards that are like comparing apples to jack hammers.

I don't care what valve we use for bicycles. If presta were unreliable and a better option exists than the bike industry undeniably would have switched a long time ago. They love pushing new standards on us so they can sell more stuff. The saying goes if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Presta valves ain't broken and they operate perfectly for the application on bicycle wheels.

You're literally the only person here who has a major problem with it while a few other people just like shrader for familiarity. Your mind simply cannot accept any possibility of you being wrong because you're a narcissistic jerk. So you come up with crazy reasons why your view is right and everyone else absolutely has to be wrong.

The other option is a simple three step process.
1. Drill valve stem hole to fit shrader.
2. Install shrader valve.
3. Enjoy riding your bicycle.
It's harder to make a large hole small for us on presta but it's easy to make a small hole large.

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 at 7:30 Quote
[Quote="Dkutassy"][Quote="adespotoskyli"]
Dkutassy wrote:

No where and that's completely irrelevant because we don't use pneumatic systems. For heavy industrial applications that see 24 hour 7 days a week operation anything pneumatic is to unreliable especially if exposed valve stems exist. Even if we did it's a completely different application with design standards that are like comparing apples to jack hammers.

I don't care what valve we use for bicycles. If presta were unreliable and a better option exists than the bike industry undeniably would have switched a long time ago. They love pushing new standards on us so they can sell more stuff. The saying goes if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Presta valves ain't broken and they operate perfectly for the application on bicycle wheels.

You're literally the only person here who has a major problem with it while a few other people just like shrader for familiarity. Your mind simply cannot accept any possibility of you being wrong because you're a narcissistic jerk. So you come up with crazy reasons why your view is right and everyone else absolutely has to be wrong.

The other option is a simple three step process.
1. Drill valve stem hole to fit shrader.
2. Install shrader valve.
3. Enjoy riding your bicycle.
It's harder to make a large hole small for us on presta but it's easy to make a small hole large.
Prestas are ureliable and a better option is schrader. That's it.
There are special nuts for centering prestas in schrader sized holes, every decent kit comes with them like the mavic tubless valve kit. For a guy so deep in to the biking scene and with much experience you seem to know nothing of the basics.
Biking industry is the definition of f*ck ups, especially with all the marketing jargon circling it and new standards every other week coming out as the next big thing since sliced bread. On the other hand I have yet to see the benefit of your favorite valve over a schrader exept is best at failing and that you like it. Not really convincing, and since you made it clear about your credentials why don't you enlighten us? The reason prestas are droped is precicely because are flimsy and offer no advantage whatsoever. Like it or not, your opinion is invalid, especially when you have been unable to support it.

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 at 7:40 Quote
Dude why do you waste hours of your life trying to convince people what you think? I agree Schrader is better imo, Presta was only introduced to bicycles because rims were getting so narrow on road bikes that they wanted to make the hole smaller and the valves are a couple grams lighter, now rims are getting wider they have no excuse to not drill the holes wider again for Schrader but as shown above some people don't have an issue with Presta and that's fine, you can't go judging people based off their experience and more so insult them and effectively call them stupid. I could argue why do you run a small chamber air shock on your Privateer when coil is better in almost every way except weight, of which frame weight is not even a problem on an enduro bike.... But I'm not going to call you stupid and look down on you for running an air shock. People have opinions and preferences regardless if it aligns with your own opinions or logic.

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 at 8:25 Quote
Never get anywhere arguing with idiots so last comment.

I never said presta was better and I don't prefer one valve over the other. They both perform their tasks well. In 10 years of cycling I have not had one - single - failure of a presta valve. The design is perfectly adequate for the application. If they were a problem I'd just drill out my rims and install shrader. But they haven't been a problem so I don't bother.

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 at 8:49 Quote
Dkutassy wrote:
Never get anywhere arguing with idiots so last comment.

I never said presta was better and I don't prefer one valve over the other. They both perform their tasks well. In 10 years of cycling I have not had one - single - failure of a presta valve. The design is perfectly adequate for the application. If they were a problem I'd just drill out my rims and install shrader. But they haven't been a problem so I don't bother.
Problem is they don't perform their task equally well, shrader is superior in every aspect. End of story.

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 at 9:09 Quote
I use schrader but when I go tubeless (hopefully soon) I'll use presta. There is one issue with my schraders at the moment when u put the pump on they say adiós and disaper half way thro the rim

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019319
Mobile Version of Website