Enduro bro clipless pedals - Looking for Look pedals feedback vs Shimanos

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Enduro bro clipless pedals - Looking for Look pedals feedback vs Shimanos
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 6:20 Quote
Back to clips after a long flat pedal period. Got myself for free a pair of Shimano M530s but not too impressed with them. After only a couple of months worth of use they're rusting badly and starting to rattle. Also, my AM702 shoes make almost no contact with the platform (not talking about the cage, but the actual platform on the sides of the mechanism) in contrast with the Saints I had some years ago which almost felt like a flat pedal. Since they were freebies, I'm now looking into a more "premium" pedal.

Not too interested in Saints. I had a set right when they were released ('17 or '18?) and while the platform was ace, I found them unreliable with the locknuts coming lose several times while riding and the pins were more an hindrance than nothing, making fast clip ins harder. I'm not too interested in the "have some grip while unclipped" concept, I want to clip in as fast and easy as possible.

I'm quite curious about the Look X-Track En-Rage Plus pedals. Does anyone has experience with Look pedals? The price is right, they are supposed to have a very supportive platform and Look has a reputation for durability in the roady world.

If not Look, then I guess I'd settle with XT M8120s. Any user experiences with these around here? Would love to know on how do they compare with Saints.

Thanks!

Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 7:01 Quote
I switched to clipless and bought Mallet DH. I freaking love them. I switched from flats to clipless when i got new bike and i prefer it a lot. Maybe because i bought good pedals when i switched? Would highly recommend them.

Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 15:39 Quote
Shimano clipless pedals just work and last forever. They aren't the lightest or sexiest, but I've never destroyed one, unlike some other popular brands. The ability to adjust the binding tension is great as well.

FL
Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 16:25 Quote
I ride the Saint clips and I have the exact same problems with the locknut always coming loose. The plastic tool to tighten that one up is a joke comapred to the 17mm nut on the lower end pedals. I really don't understand why Shimano went with those rubbish locknuts on their premium pedals! But apart from that they work without problems. The XTs I had before worked a treat with easy maintenance and nothing to complain about. So when you don't need that platform, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 8120s
Cheers

Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 17:23 Quote
maybenotaprofile wrote:
I ride the Saint clips and I have the exact same problems with the locknut always coming loose. The plastic tool to tighten that one up is a joke comapred to the 17mm nut on the lower end pedals. I really don't understand why Shimano went with those rubbish locknuts on their premium pedals! But apart from that they work without problems. The XTs I had before worked a treat with easy maintenance and nothing to complain about. So when you don't need that platform, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 8120s
Cheers

Good to know I was not the only one that had those issue. Me, you, and an french online publication seem to be one of the few reporting this. But it was indeed a faff, I couldn't trust the pedals, besides that you had to use the crappy Shimano tool that also required the pedal to the removed from the crank. At the time I got the pedals warrantied, but then the new ones also had issues and ended up with a refund.

I was indeed quite found of the Saint platform (but could live without the pins). If I was sure that that issue was a first batch problem corrected afterwards, I would certainly buy another pair. Do your Saints happen to be from an early batch as well?

I'm curious about the M8120 because some report that they feel remarkably similar to the Saints

Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 17:32 Quote
How come you're not interested in Time ATACs?

FL
Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 18:36 Quote
meebo wrote:
I switched to clipless and bought Mallet DH. I freaking love them. I switched from flats to clipless when i got new bike and i prefer it a lot. Maybe because i bought good pedals when i switched? Would highly recommend them.

100% can agree. I can’t stand spd’s and riding mallets almost feels like riding flats

Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 19:46 Quote
I'm on the X-Track En-Rage (not Plus).

Axle is stronger than Shimano. Impacts that certainly would've bent a Shimano or Time appear to have had zero effect on the Looks.

Retention has a similar feel, but can release when twisting in the roll axis, making them less secure than Shimano.

Posted: Dec 13, 2020 at 0:05 Quote
Explodo wrote:
How come you're not interested in Time ATACs?

I like the concept of the Time Speciale 8, but they're about 20% more expensive than the rest and I have doubts about the cleat durability. I really value fit and forget stuff.

@R-M-R , do you have the standard or the "easy release" Look cleats? Also, if you don't mind, for how long have you had the Looks? I can get the En-Rage Plus for a very good price, but reports of its durability are few and far between

Posted: Dec 13, 2020 at 0:07 Quote
Standard. Also tried with Shimano Single Release, which felt the same.

Posted: Dec 13, 2020 at 0:51 Quote
Thanks
Weird behaviour. I'll pass on those then, I move my feet a lot and even with Shimano I need to have tension on the top quarter or so.

Posted: Dec 13, 2020 at 1:11 Quote
For me, Shimano and Look offer not quite adequate retention for trail riding. Close, but not as secure as I'd like and I'm not keen on how they have free float until a hard stop, then almost zero movement within the resisted range before release.

Time Z Control, however, work great for DH. I have maybe one accidental release per trail ride on the Looks, but I don't think I've ever had an accidental release downhilling on Times. The release angle is greater and the "elastic float" is smooth and feels perfect. Shame about the stack height and stance width.

Posted: Dec 13, 2020 at 1:23 Quote
I've got the Look En-Rage Plus Ti.
I've had them for a bit over a year. No problems at all so far. They taken a few solid hits so far and barely have a mark on them. Cleats seem to be wearing just fine. I'm still on the first set and usually ride twice a week.
I've not needed to open them up for a service yet, but when I do, I'll have to either purchase or machine a specific tool as the end cap has 3 holes in it.
I've not used any Shimano platform clipless for any reasonable amount of time, but those that have have had great durability from them too.

Posted: Dec 13, 2020 at 1:55 Quote
Just realized that detail on the Looks as well, so one more reason to pass. The Speciale 8 seem to have an identical cap as my old Aliums did, which I could easily operate with circlip pliers

So, right now:
- Time Speciale 8
- Shimano XT M8120
- Shimano Saints (bottom of the list)

Posted: Dec 13, 2020 at 14:15 Quote
Decided to exclude the Saints from the list. Already had a pair in the past, so willing to try something new.

Now down to the Time Speciale Vs the XTs

Would really enjoy to get more feedback on the Speciale 8

Thanks all

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008509
Mobile Version of Website