Rooftop box for bike

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Rooftop box for bike
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 11:24 Quote
I‘m looking for a rooftop box for my car to transport one, if possible two mountain bikes. They are both 29er size xl. I don‘t mind taking the wheels off to fit them inside the box.

Has anyone tried this and knows a box that is big enough?

The reason I‘m asking is because on longer trips I prefer having the bikes inside the car but because our family got bigger this is no longer possible. I know that buying a van would be the correct way to solve this problem but I like my car and I don‘t want to change it.

Posted: Dec 26, 2020 at 2:50 Quote
Marc1977 wrote:
I‘m looking for a rooftop box for my car to transport one, if possible two mountain bikes. They are both 29er size xl. I don‘t mind taking the wheels off to fit them inside the box.

The reason I‘m asking is because on longer trips I prefer having the bikes inside the car but because our family got bigger this is no longer possible. I know that buying a van would be the correct way to solve this problem but I like my car and I don‘t want to change it.

I own a Thule rooftop box and it’s not big enough to hold bikes. Those cargo boxes are not meant to be carrying 2 bikes especially XL 29er mountain bikes. Lol

I would recommend installing a hitch at the rear of your car to hold your 2 mountain bikes while having that rooftop box for other things.

Posted: Dec 29, 2020 at 1:08 Quote
JNRX wrote:
Marc1977 wrote:

I own a Thule rooftop box and it’s not big enough to hold bikes. Those cargo boxes are not meant to be carrying 2 bikes especially XL 29er mountain bikes. Lol

I would recommend installing a hitch at the rear of your car to hold your 2 mountain bikes while having that rooftop box for other things.

Thanks for your reply. I was looking at Thule boxes. The Motion XT XXL would fit one bike if I take the wheels off and the air out of the fork. This could be one option but if I can find a bigger box I take it.

Posted: Dec 29, 2020 at 1:46 Quote
Some time ago I was about to contact Thule for this. You never know if they take suggestions :-)

I would also prefer to put the bike in a box for travelling long distances.

Ideally it would be a travel case I could take on flights, but that also has fixation options for a roof rack, or that can just stand on a hitch rack (like they have their own cargo box)

Have been looking for other brands too - strange it doesn't seem to exist...

Posted: Dec 29, 2020 at 2:11 Quote
Thule has a hardcase travel case for bikes but is is not cheap. 700$ ish.
https://www.rei.com/product/870814/thule-roundtrip-transition-bike-case

But I would look into two travel hard cases for bikes. Then strap or bolt down with U-bolts on your roofrack. Use some good backing strips around the holes... dont want to rip out the bolts and have a flying box on the highway. Security strap is always nice.

Cheap: https://bionc.en.alibaba.com/product/60550743469-807758114/Fyrlyt_29_mtb_bike_transport_carrying_box_hard_travel_bicycle_case_for_ari_travel.html

And if you want really basic: your carton bike box fits your bike for sure. So get some alu L-profiles, some alu sheeting and make a frame around the box, rivet and seal & glue with kit. Lid on the top. simple pad lock. Shove bike in bikebox, bikebox in the alubox and done.
Bolt alu box on roof or hitch frame.

Posted: Dec 29, 2020 at 23:27 Quote
KoenR wrote:
Some time ago I was about to contact Thule for this. You never know if they take suggestions :-)

Ideally it would be a travel case I could take on flights, but that also has fixation options for a roof rack, or that can just stand on a hitch rack (like they have their own cargo box)

What did the guys from Thule say? If they need help they can always ask me :-)

I have a bag I can take on flights. It's an EVOC. There I have to take the handlebar and derailleur off else the bike doesn't fit. For the car I don't mind having a bigger and heavier box if it allows me to keep these parts on the bike.

Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 7:02 Quote
Marc1977 wrote:
KoenR wrote:

What did the guys from Thule say? If they need help they can always ask me :-)

I have a bag I can take on flights. It's an EVOC. There I have to take the handlebar and derailleur off else the bike doesn't fit. For the car I don't mind having a bigger and heavier box if it allows me to keep these parts on the bike.

it was just a plan - in the end I didn't get to it Facepalm

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 2:12 Quote
looks like if I release the air from the forks I can fit both bikes in a Thule Motion XT XXL

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 3:52 Quote
With the ROCKBROS mountain bike travel case, I can easily bring my bike when travelling. I like how this travel case was made from high-quality 600D Oxford fabric material for the outer layer, making it sturdy and long-lasting. It also comes with pockets inside to store our bike’s tools, plus outside pockets for small items. One thing that this travel case has amazed me is its triple protection features. First, there is room for the wheels, which feature fixing buckles to prevent crashing between the tires. 

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 7:24 Quote
Marc1977 wrote:
looks like if I release the air from the forks I can fit both bikes in a Thule Motion XT XXL

Looking at your pictures I'd like to provide pointers for safe shipping/boxing of bikes:
(1) Take the pedals off and zip tie to frame or the correct cranks;
(2) Protect or remove brake rotors or face rotors UP with nothing on top of them - the underside of a box lid may bend a rotor facing up;
(3) Do not lay the bike on derailleur/derailleur hanger;
(4) Do not lay the bike on the chainring(s);
(5) Remove derailleur and zip tie to frame
(6) Protect fork stanchions with cloth or foam
(7) Place something like a bleed block or cardboard between brake pads.
(Cool Put any removed bolts back in their respective spots or bag them and tape to frame for safe keeping
(9) Zip tie the handlebar to the top tube to prevent sliding/twisting and damaging cables and hoses.

Good luck and hope it fits.

EDIT: forgot to add this - put a blanket under/between the bikes to protect them from rubbing/scratches.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 12:42 Quote
If I was using a box on a regular basis for transporting bikes, then as an idea,
place cling film over parts of your bike and spray expanding foam in parts,
bit by bit you could create a supportive form that matches your bike, expanding
foam is easily sawn and shaped when set, and you can re apply where needed.

For a seperated partition, use a piece of stiff cardboard and repeat with the cling film
and expanding foam. After a bit of practice you could have a box that you just lay your
bike into without all the messing with padding this and wrapping that and being reasured
its protected.

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 13:21 Quote
thanks for the help. I‘ve been using it for a few months now using two old duvets for cushioning. It‘s going well.

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 16:37 Quote
Marc1977 wrote:
thanks for the help. I‘ve been using it for a few months now using two old duvets for cushioning. It‘s going well.

Awesome. Thanks for the update.

Posted: Jan 31, 2022 at 6:34 Quote
I'd just buy a van

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014774
Mobile Version of Website