2021 Float X2 Noise

PB Forum :: Fox Racing Shox
2021 Float X2 Noise
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 22, 2020 at 13:23 Quote
I've just received my new bike with a 2021 float X2 and I'm hearing a loud whistling noise when compressing the shock.

I've removed it and checked the bearings so I'm confident it's coming from the float x2.

Any ideas?

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 18:22 Quote
dhc-murphy wrote:
I've just received my new bike with a 2021 float X2 and I'm hearing a loud whistling noise when compressing the shock.

I've removed it and checked the bearings so I'm confident it's coming from the float x2.

Any ideas?

I remember reading in some review that the shock had some sort of buzzing noise that wore off as the shock broke in, seems similar to the sound in your video. I'm not sure if that's what the issue with yours is or not, or if that's just the normal sound it makes. Can't hurt to run it by fox and see what they say. The 2021 x2 that just came on my new norco sight makes a similar noise, but mine sounds a lot more squelchy, and the climb switch doesn't seem to do anything at all. I'll be sending mine off for warranty.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 22:11 Quote
dhc-murphy wrote:

Any ideas?

really glad I found this. Exact same noise coming from my brand new x2. Did the noise ever go away? How did this end?

Posted: Mar 14, 2021 at 10:51 Quote
Darwin66 wrote:
dhc-murphy wrote:

Any ideas?

really glad I found this. Exact same noise coming from my brand new x2. Did the noise ever go away? How did this end?

Nope, still there. Never got around to messaging fox. It doesn't bother while I'm on the bike so I kinda forget about it. No issue with the performance aswell.

Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 13:24 Quote
dhc-murphy wrote:
Darwin66 wrote:
dhc-murphy wrote:

Any ideas?

Nope, still there. Never got around to messaging fox. It doesn't bother while I'm on the bike so I kinda forget about it. No issue with the performance aswell.

Sounds kinda like air in the damper to me. Seems to be a common issue with X2. Fox should fix that under warranty, but if you know of a local suspension shop that does damper work a simple oil change will probably fix the problem if you don't wanna mail it off and wait for Fox.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 12:59 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
dhc-murphy wrote:
Darwin66 wrote:

Sounds kinda like air in the damper to me. Seems to be a common issue with X2. Fox should fix that under warranty, but if you know of a local suspension shop that does damper work a simple oil change will probably fix the problem if you don't wanna mail it off and wait for Fox.

It's going for a service shortly so I will report back when it's done.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 14:54 Quote
dhc-murphy wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:
dhc-murphy wrote:

It's going for a service shortly so I will report back when it's done.

The few rebuilds that I've done on them makes me think that X2's are pretty ruggedly constructed and well made, but just susceptible to getting air in the damper oil. I'm betting that it's because they run a relatively low IFP pressure of 150psi. I think that air pressure spikes way above that in the can when the shock compresses and then a little air burps past the shaft seal in the bearing body and into the oil. I think that may be why they specify rebuild at 125hrs instead of having a 50hr air can service. With a rebuild you get fresh oil, an IFP recharge, and new bearing body-to-shaft seals, and keeping the service interval short at 125hrs gives less time for air to accumulate in the damper oil. ...but this is all purely speculation based on a few rebuilds. A more experienced mechanic might say otherwise.

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
dhc-murphy wrote:

Any ideas?

I received a vitus sommet this week and the fox X2 shock has the same sound, sorry how you have it configured (LSR -HSR - LSC- HSC) for a long time I used rockshox and I'm like starting with fox. Cheers

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004994
Mobile Version of Website