Pivot trail 429 enduro or switchblade

PB Forum :: Pivot Cycles
Pivot trail 429 enduro or switchblade
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Dec 28, 2020 at 16:31 Quote
I’m 200 lbs what bike do y’all recommend for me I want a bike that is light also

Posted: Dec 29, 2020 at 20:02 Quote
Both are good bikes. The weight will be similar, the trail 429 enduro is heavy for its travel. Switchblade has won best mtb of the year from BikeRumor. I would personally go with a Switchblade

Posted: Mar 31, 2021 at 10:28 Quote
What kind of rider are you and where you ride makes a big difference in my opinion. Smash smash go Switchblade. If a less harsh rider and terrain go 429.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2021 at 10:56 Quote
Like mtnbikerva1 said, you're going to have to elaborate a bit more about how you ride and where you ride.

The 429 is a lower travel trail bike/ downcountry where as the Switchblade is closer to a lower travel Enduro bike/ longer travel trail bike.

IMO
- If you want a trail bike the priorities going up/ far 429
- Want a bike that priorities the down/ going fast Switchblade

You're not going to go wrong either way. It's interesting to see how the 429 has VERY similar geo numbers to my 5.5. And I'd be super interested to see how the Switchblade feels since it's built around the same amount of travel as the 5.5 and some other similar numbers just being a little longer in the front with bigger wheels.

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2021 at 18:45 Quote
Yeah, I've been thinking between the two also. I like really long rides, I currently have a 125/130 bike, and it feels sketchy on fast descents, it is a little older and has dated. I ride pretty aggressively but I love an active bike that easy to throw around when I jump. I don't know which to go with?

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 19:54 Quote
i have a new trail 429 enduro and it’s pretty amazing. hands down best climbing and pedaling bike i have ever ridden. Been on lots of bikes

it’s heavy but it does not feel like it. bike is super plush for its 120 travel but as many reviews stated it feels much more than 120.

it’s not an enduro bike but can handle most of what you throw at it

that being said i picked up a switchblade and it’s in route. i always wanted a switchblade but couldn’t pass up the trail when i saw it at the LBS

so let’s see how different they are really are from each other. the geo numbers are very similar and beside travel they are very similar bikes. the enduro trail in low setting actually has a slacker hta than the switch

i have a feeling they will very similar bikes

if you have a chance to to demo the trail 429 you will be pleasantly suprised

O+
Posted: May 17, 2021 at 20:55 Quote
Eloo37 wrote:
i have a new trail 429 enduro ...

it’s heavy

Find this hard to believe. What does your weight in at?

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 21:36 Quote
right under 30 lbs. the non enduro is under 28 i believe. all depends on the build. the xt/xtr enduro is on the heavier side. alum cranks, and the xt/xtr is heavier than the x01 build

it’s doesn’t not feel heavy at all on the trail

O+
Posted: May 18, 2021 at 11:12 Quote
5.5 as of this season

This is bout 29lbs (might even be 28 but don't have a digital scale)....So an even lighter frame with lighter components weighing more?

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 14:17 Quote
i am specifically discussing the Enduro version where the components are not actually lighter but beefier.

the fox 36 and dpx2 which is found more on all mountain or enduro bikes. additional capabilities comes with a weight cost.

the sram x01 groupset is more than .6 lbs less in weight to compared to the Shimano Xt/Xtr groupset

it looks like the pics you posted is a Mach 5.5. i had one for about 6 months. i can tell you that the bike has not gone through a major frame redesign for a couple of years. the new trail is a bigger and larger bike. that in itself will cause a weight difference

bike weight is predominantly coming from components. alum cranks, burly suspension all add to weight.

i plan to change some components out and try to drop some weight. looking at some carbon wheels and cranks and changing out the groupset back to Sram. i should be able to drop atleast a 1 or 1.5 lbs.

but i knew what i was getting into going the enduro version

O+
Posted: May 18, 2021 at 14:32 Quote
huh didn't realize there was such a weight difference on the drivetrain alone. But the geo numbers between the 429 and the 5.5 aren't that different

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 15:44 Quote
I'd own a switchblade if it weren't for the pressfit BB. I loved riding it.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 16:16 Quote
sram x01 cassette and cranks are much lighter. Shimano doesn’t make a carbon crank. on the enduro version they use the raceface affect R. a enduro style crank

i had a yt izzo which spec oem was pretty light. once i changed out the tires to some minions and longer bar i added over 1.5 pounds. the more capable the more weight

but as i mentioned the bike does not feel heavy at all

really impressed

O+
Posted: May 18, 2021 at 18:15 Quote
Explodo wrote:

Get a wheelsmfr threaded BB and be done with it. You also a single issue voter?

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 18:59 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Explodo wrote:

Get a wheelsmfr threaded BB and be done with it. You also a single issue voter?

Balancing a selection of pros and cons works like that. It fell out of the lead due to PF. All that bike thinking and I can still not insult people just for having a different opinion. Wild, eh?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015481
Mobile Version of Website