2020 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO pro upgrades?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2020 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO pro upgrades?
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2021 at 13:17 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
I got to demo an EVO for several hours yesterday. The dropper post is garbage and absolutely needs to be replaced. Everything else on the bike is really nice.

I would encourage swapping the Code brakes for something better -- TRP or Magura. You'll suffer less arm pump, especially on rocky descents or over brake bumps.

Id be interested to know what model Evo you demo'd? The brakes on the 2020 Evo pro are Code RSC's, not exactly poor stoppers considering they are designed for downhill bikes.

As far as droppers go, whilst a Specialized proprietary part (command post), if the air pressure is set high enough, the saddle will impale your crown jewels up well inside your body (assuming you have a set). You can't say that the command post is poor in its movement. Those things are so brutal on extension, I'm surprised they actually stay inside the seat tube altogether and don't fire out to orbit.

If the Evo you rode was a lower spec model, an alloy version from 19-20 or the Comp 21 version, then yes I would agree with the brake comment.

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 at 15:02 Quote
MitchNapier wrote:
iliveonnitro wrote:
I got to demo an EVO for several hours yesterday. The dropper post is garbage and absolutely needs to be replaced. Everything else on the bike is really nice.

I would encourage swapping the Code brakes for something better -- TRP or Magura. You'll suffer less arm pump, especially on rocky descents or over brake bumps.

Id be interested to know what model Evo you demo'd? The brakes on the 2020 Evo pro are Code RSC's, not exactly poor stoppers considering they are designed for downhill bikes.

As far as droppers go, whilst a Specialized proprietary part (command post), if the air pressure is set high enough, the saddle will impale your crown jewels up well inside your body (assuming you have a set). You can't say that the command post is poor in its movement. Those things are so brutal on extension, I'm surprised they actually stay inside the seat tube altogether and don't fire out to orbit.

If the Evo you rode was a lower spec model, an alloy version from 19-20 or the Comp 21 version, then yes I would agree with the brake comment.

It was the 2021 Expert with Code RS brakes. Not poor stoppers, but I've been spoiled by the power and consistency in my TRP DH-Rs. It's not a must-change feature, but I would swap the brakes long before before the bars or stem.

Have you tried the X-Fusion Manic from this year? It's not like the previous droppers where you could put a coin on the seat, release the dropper, and try to get the coin stuck in the ceiling. They return at a pretty normal speed. But it's a bit sticky and definitely not smooth like many other brands out there. For me, it also stuck out of the seat post quite a bit, meaning there's probably room for a larger dropper, as well. I'm short, so this was a good thing with the frame design, meaning I could actually run more than 150mm drop on an S3. Wouldn't have been able to do that in the past.

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 at 18:48 Quote
Is have a 2020 EVO Pro S2 and it came with 170mm GX Cranks.

The specialized command dropper has been flawless for me so if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Also I ordered the Cascade Link yesterday and will update after a few rides.

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2021 at 20:04 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
It was the 2021 Expert with Code RS brakes. Not poor stoppers, but I've been spoiled by the power and consistency in my TRP DH-Rs. It's not a must-change feature, but I would swap the brakes long before before the bars or stem.

Have you tried the X-Fusion Manic from this year? It's not like the previous droppers where you could put a coin on the seat, release the dropper, and try to get the coin stuck in the ceiling. They return at a pretty normal speed. But it's a bit sticky and definitely not smooth like many other brands out there. For me, it also stuck out of the seat post quite a bit, meaning there's probably room for a larger dropper, as well. I'm short, so this was a good thing with the frame design, meaning I could actually run more than 150mm drop on an S3. Wouldn't have been able to do that in the past.

Ah right I thought it may have been a different model. Wouldn't think there would be many 2020 SJ Evo's sitting in the shop still!

Code RS are still good brakes just no contact adjustment. Yeah fair enough, brakes are a pretty polarizing subject especially with the difference in feeling they all have. Whatever floats your goat.

No I didn't realise they changed the post to an xfusion one for this year. Maybe someone had a nasty incident and they banned the command post!

I swapped my command post out for a Oneup V2 dropper before it left the shop, because the command didn't drop low enough for my height. The Oneup V2 is great and has next to no collar at the top so you can get it really low down in the seattube for max clearance. Only downside is I buzz my ass on the rear tire all the time because the seat is so low and out of the way! Sometimes gets sticky but its usually just time for a regrease and to check pressure (has never dropped) and its good to go.
Oh and they run the 34.9mm seattube diameter?! I just put a sleeve in to give the big middle finger to the standard gods...

Posted: Feb 16, 2021 at 7:55 Quote
The 2020 has the Code RSC brakes. I do think they should have spec’d longer droppers, I’m 5’8 and the 150mm dropper is way too short.

It’s odd they put a cheaper dropper and brakes for 2021 especially since it’s the expert model not a comp.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2021 at 12:38 Quote
JeCo07 wrote:
The 2020 has the Code RSC brakes. I do think they should have spec’d longer droppers, I’m 5’8 and the 150mm dropper is way too short.

It’s odd they put a cheaper dropper and brakes for 2021 especially since it’s the expert model not a comp.

I would say they have done it because they have the S-works in the lineup now.

Even though its probably cheaper to upgrade components on a 21 expert to s-works level, most people would just say bugger it, ill buy the s-works as it has all the good bits already. Plus you'd get the s-works "my pockets are deeper than yours" phenomenon which is worth heaps to a lot of people! Great marketing tactic from Specialized IMO. People love to out do each other. Sad but true and I'm even guilty of it...

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 18:54 Quote
I got the S2 and it came with 170mm cranks. I put a cascade link on, S-works carbon bars, deity 35mm copperhead stem, 165mm Carbon Cranks and airliner rear insert. Bike is perfect.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 15:17 Quote
Anyone with the 27.5 version ever run a 29r front wheel / fork? Curious how this may ruin the bike.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011688
Mobile Version of Website