Bearing Eyelet Tool Warning

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
Bearing Eyelet Tool Warning
| Next Page
Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 3:23 Quote
Glad to have found this as I dug into swapping out my 2018 Instinct shock for a used replacement (so I can get the damn thing rebuilt without being unable to ride) and discovered the proprietary tooling needed to deal with this simple thing.

Warning, a standard $100 Amazon blind puller set will not work. The 8mm puller simply is not sharp enough nor has enough of a gap between the bearing and the sleeve to get any grip. Just pulls out. Tried with enough puller expansion force that it was deforming. No love. Maybe a higher quality one with sharper edges and harder tool steel would work.

Anyway, @shibuya7, thanks for the heads up on the 2021 eyelet set. I just ordered a set to put on the new shock. I can't order the new tool because its back ordered but I will add it to the kit for future use, and take the risk of sending the shock away with the old style cups still on it.

To confirm, the 2021 Altitude cups are a direct fit no issue?

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 6:30 Quote
cwoodffr wrote:
Glad to have found this as I dug into swapping out my 2018 Instinct shock for a used replacement (so I can get the damn thing rebuilt without being unable to ride) and discovered the proprietary tooling needed to deal with this simple thing.

Warning, a standard $100 Amazon blind puller set will not work. The 8mm puller simply is not sharp enough nor has enough of a gap between the bearing and the sleeve to get any grip. Just pulls out. Tried with enough puller expansion force that it was deforming. No love. Maybe a higher quality one with sharper edges and harder tool steel would work.

Anyway, @shibuya7, thanks for the heads up on the 2021 eyelet set. I just ordered a set to put on the new shock. I can't order the new tool because its back ordered but I will add it to the kit for future use, and take the risk of sending the shock away with the old style cups still on it.

To confirm, the 2021 Altitude cups are a direct fit no issue?

I need to replace the shock on my 2018 C70 and have had issues with getting the eyelet bearings removed in the past for service. I heard from RM that the 2021 eyelet bearings are a touch smaller than the 2018. "The current ones are 16 x 8 x 5 and the older bearings are 19 x 8 x 6". Did any of you have issues using 2021 bearing eyelets and the bearing eyelet tool?

Thanks for any feedback from this older thread!

Posted: Sep 19, 2022 at 15:57 Quote
Hi folks, Initially I also used this tool to remove the bearing eyelet caps of the installed Fox Float DPX2, but finally I ordered - actually by mistake - a Rock Shox Super Deluxe with bearing eyelet, and guess what? This is perfectly fitting (after 5 min. sanding the original Aluminium spacers) into the frame (Altitude 2020). Doing a service is now no pain in the ass, just unscrew the bearing eyelet of the shock. Used this setup now for 1500 km without a problem.
Can only recommend this

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
So, I ordered the new tool for my 2019 Instinct just before I found this thread. :-( At least I can return it. Anyone know where you can find the Endurobearing tool in Canada? Or anyone know an alternate method for getting the eyelet cups out?

Not super excited about all the special tools it seems I need to maintain this...

Thanks!

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
jamesinnorthvan wrote:
So, I ordered the new tool for my 2019 Instinct just before I found this thread. :-( At least I can return it. Anyone know where you can find the Endurobearing tool in Canada? Or anyone know an alternate method for getting the eyelet cups out?

Not super excited about all the special tools it seems I need to maintain this...

Thanks!

Disregard, figured it out. Thx

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006352
Mobile Version of Website