What AM/Enduro would you buy for $6k max?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
What AM/Enduro would you buy for $6k max?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 1, 2021 at 11:48 Quote
I’m in the market for a bike upgrade. Currently running a YT jeffsy, which I’ve been absolutely in love with. But it’s time to move into a 29” wheel and get an updated geo.

I say $6k max, might be OK with up to $6300-$6500 for the right bike.

I’ve considered:

Capra Elite
Canyon Spectral 29” 9.0
Spot Mayhem
Guerilla Gravity Gnarvanna
Intense Carbine
Commençal Meta

Any others I should be looking at? Obviously I’m heavy on the direct sales brands because I can get more bike for the coin. I’m handy and don’t mind wrenching on my own so shop backup means less to me.

Interested in people’s opinions.

Posted: Jan 1, 2021 at 11:51 Quote
Capra will likely be updated soon so don't buy that. If you want 29" and you are gravity oriented get the Specialized Enduro comp and spend the remainder tricking it out a bit. I'm running the sb165 myself, would have recommended that but it's 27.5 and the sb150 is a bit short on travel imo.

Posted: Jan 4, 2021 at 11:51 Quote
Pole evo link 156.....the new propain enduro looks ok. The transition sentinel is what I got.

Posted: Jan 4, 2021 at 13:29 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Capra will likely be updated soon so don't buy that. If you want 29" and you are gravity oriented get the Specialized Enduro comp and spend the remainder tricking it out a bit. I'm running the sb165 myself, would have recommended that but it's 27.5 and the sb150 is a bit short on travel imo.
I'm in a similar boat to the OP and am strongly considering the Enduro Comp. $4500 US and doesn't really need anything out of the box besides tires and maybe a longer dropper post.

Gnarvana and Commencal Meta were also on my list. Both local to me which is a plus when going DTC but heavy bikes. A heavy drivetrain, like the NX on the Enduro, can be swapped. Nothing you can do about frame weight.

Keep in a mind that a good shop can usually pull their weight if any warranty issues pop up.

What about a Scott Ransom or Santa Cruz Megatower? Both of those bikes are still getting lots of love even though they've been out for a few years.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 18:16 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:

If something is going to get updated soon but OP is ready to buy now why would it make a difference if a new bike was announced even 1 day after the purchase?

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 18:45 Quote
PhatBrett wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:

If something is going to get updated soon but OP is ready to buy now why would it make a difference if a new bike was announced even 1 day after the purchase?

Because you can get something better and more up to date for the same money? I don't see your logic. That's like knowing PS5 will come out tmrw for £500 but you will pay £500 for PS4 today instead....

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 18:52 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
I’m in the market for a bike upgrade. Currently running a YT jeffsy, which I’ve been absolutely in love with. But it’s time to move into a 29” wheel and get an updated geo.

I say $6k max, might be OK with up to $6300-$6500 for the right bike.

I’ve considered:

Capra Elite
Canyon Spectral 29” 9.0
Spot Mayhem
Guerilla Gravity Gnarvanna
Intense Carbine
Commençal Meta

Any others I should be looking at? Obviously I’m heavy on the direct sales brands because I can get more bike for the coin. I’m handy and don’t mind wrenching on my own so shop backup means less to me.

Interested in people’s opinions.
I would go for the Guerilla Gnarvanna if I had a budget that high and wanted a bike to do everything. But you might also want to take a look at the Santa Cruz Megatower, but again, I would get the Gnarvanna.

Posted: Feb 6, 2021 at 15:40 Quote
In had the same budget and ended up with the Scott Ransom 910.

Posted: Feb 6, 2021 at 21:40 Quote
I'm somewhat perplexed about the specifics of these kind of questions. Maybe it's just me, but if there isn't a very specific requirement for a particular bike to classify as enduro, and all mountain MAY be a lot of it's use/purpose, it really would come down to travel and geo--I would think.

HT angle ST angle BB, those things can get very specific if it's only getting used in enduro, especially racing. I even see many companies extending the travel on some trail oriented frames along with heftier forks so that AM/Trail bikes can start to offer the same riders with enduro capabilities.

I'm very impressed with what Specialized added to their SJ EVO, which is meant to be a bit more slack then the standard SJ, by adding the possibility to not only use the flip-chip, but also add 3 user adjustable angles to the head tube. That's impressive. I would say that bike seems to be sitting almost exactly in the middle of these categories more than almost any other design I've seen. Again of course manufacturers have frames more specifically capable for rowdy enduro, but that switch-ability in it's price range, along with some top components in its better builds, would be the closest thing that comes to mind.

Please I'm not trying to influence the decision, just sharing a thought. I've learned more from this thread than I have to offer anyway. It's just the desire for dual capability is growing in this market and it interests me. When in doubt I guess, choose the design that would handle the gnarliest terrain you'll encounter, and it's typically capable of the lesser task. That MIGHT NOT apply to a fully equipped DH bike though. They're not user-friendly in situations other than what they're built for.

~JSV

Posted: Feb 6, 2021 at 21:51 Quote
May end up with a Propain Tyee. I just realized that the US distribution facility is an hour north of me and they let you pick up in person. So I could check it out before buying. Would have to wait for one to get into stock, but seems like a good all rounder.

Posted: Feb 6, 2021 at 22:19 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
May end up with a Propain Tyee. I just realized that the US distribution facility is an hour north of me and they let you pick up in person. So I could check it out before buying. Would have to wait for one to get into stock, but seems like a good all rounder.

Not a bad choice at all, but if you spec it to your liking and they custom build it aren't you then in agreement to purchase it?

Posted: Feb 6, 2021 at 23:56 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:

Not a bad choice at all, but if you spec it to your liking and they custom build it aren't you then in agreement to purchase it?

Thinking I could go check a pre-built one. Size test etc. then order if it’s good.

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 17:47 Quote
The new Capra Blaze model looks super sweet! Commencal has some super nice bikes around that max price too. But those Propains are super awesome bikes and for you, convienient.

Posted: Feb 11, 2021 at 16:36 Quote
I love the Commencal idea, because you can get their top of the line models for the $6K budget.

I really like the new(ish) Transition Sentinel, too. That thing looks amazing. Good luck getting one, though. Cry I think I'd be selling my kids into slavery by now if they had any of those left.

Posted: Feb 11, 2021 at 18:51 Quote
@Falcon991 - I was checking out that Transition Sentinel and that IS pretty slick w/a reasonable price tag. At first glance it reminded me of the Process 153 BEFORE Kona changed these frame designs. I actually loved that 2018 Process frame design, wish they didn't change it. Closest thing to that design from Kona now is the Process X, but I'd want to ride one of those new Sentinels first If I was looking at Kona again. That Sentinel X01 build is loaded.

~JSV

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005793
Mobile Version of Website