Is EXO+ worth it?

• Previous Page
Posted: Jan 4, 2021 at 8:09 Quote
Hello all,

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, I just can't find a good consensus online. I'm wondering if I should go with the EXO+ casing for a set of 2.8 Minions that I'm getting, but I'm also concerned they will feel too much like a 60 TPI gravity tire and not enough like a supple plus tire which is what I prefer. In your experience, is this casing worth the added weight, and does it generally feel nice and soft like standard EXO or is it hard as a rock?

Appreciate any help!

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 4, 2021 at 9:01 Quote
EXO and EXO+ feel identical to me. Most recently, I switched from a 2.5 Exo DHF to a 2.5 Exo+ DHF (front) and a 2.8 Exo+ to a 2.6 Exo DHR (rear).

Now granted - this is on a long travel ebike with tire inserts. So there’s a lot going on the will mute casing differences. If you’re on a light-ish bike with no inserts and plus tires the casing impact could be more significant.

Posted: Jan 4, 2021 at 10:26 Quote
sfb123 wrote:
Hello all,

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, I just can't find a good consensus online. I'm wondering if I should go with the EXO+ casing for a set of 2.8 Minions that I'm getting, but I'm also concerned they will feel too much like a 60 TPI gravity tire and not enough like a supple plus tire which is what I prefer. In your experience, is this casing worth the added weight, and does it generally feel nice and soft like standard EXO or is it hard as a rock?

Appreciate any help!

EXO+ adds barely any weight and I really doubt you could feel the difference in the sidewall. The sidewall will lack the "wooden" feel of DD or a DH casing if that's what you're worried about. Probably under an extra ~100 grams of their silkshield as an extra layer.

Personally, I don't think it adds the amount of pinch flat protection they're claiming since I've pinched exo+ (and exo) no problem. I do feel that it adds sidewall durability and some all-over slash protection across the whole tire, which is what I'd want out of a modern, high-volume trail tire.

If you're worried about ONLY being able to run properly low pressures on those 2.8's (pinch flat resistance and extra sidewall support), an EXO casing and lightweight insert could be the way to go. Those minions run small enough that the regular sized tannus inserts (~150 grams) could work, and it's barely any more weight than going from EXO to EXO+. If you're in super rocky terrain, want to run super low pressures, want to ride like a hack, etc. EXO+ and an insert is pretty bulletproof for a rear tire. Could definitely get away with no insert and matching the rear casing in the front.

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 17:38 Quote
parkourfan wrote:

EXO+ adds barely any weight and I really doubt you could feel the difference in the sidewall. The sidewall will lack the "wooden" feel of DD or a DH casing if that's what you're worried about. Probably under an extra ~100 grams of their silkshield as an extra layer.

Personally, I don't think it adds the amount of pinch flat protection they're claiming since I've pinched exo+ (and exo) no problem. I do feel that it adds sidewall durability and some all-over slash protection across the whole tire, which is what I'd want out of a modern, high-volume trail tire.

If you're worried about ONLY being able to run properly low pressures on those 2.8's (pinch flat resistance and extra sidewall support), an EXO casing and lightweight insert could be the way to go. Those minions run small enough that the regular sized tannus inserts (~150 grams) could work, and it's barely any more weight than going from EXO to EXO+. If you're in super rocky terrain, want to run super low pressures, want to ride like a hack, etc. EXO+ and an insert is pretty bulletproof for a rear tire. Could definitely get away with no insert and matching the rear casing in the front.

Thanks for the detailed response! I ended up doing the + casing for both and might get one of those inserts in the rear as well just to be sure.

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 18:04 Quote
I’m gonna hijack this to expand the question: are people running EXO+ with a casing as a replacement for DD or does that not feel equivalent?

I’ve been running the Tough/Fast Rolling WTB casings on my enduro bike but would occasionally flat the rear tire. Put an insert in the rear and fixed the whole problem. Now I’m wondering if I should swap the front to EXO+ and rear to DD for my next set of tires and just throw inserts in both.

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 19:36 Quote
gafoto wrote:
I’m gonna hijack this to expand the question: are people running EXO+ with a casing as a replacement for DD or does that not feel equivalent?

I’ve been running the Tough/Fast Rolling WTB casings on my enduro bike but would occasionally flat the rear tire. Put an insert in the rear and fixed the whole problem. Now I’m wondering if I should swap the front to EXO+ and rear to DD for my next set of tires and just throw inserts in both.

I think you’re asking if people are running INSERTS with EXO+ casings. My 2 cents, I just came off a DHR2 maxterra exo+ 2.4 WT with a Tannus tubeless insert. The tire held up pretty well on rocky terrain. I did however get a nice size puncture between the treads which required a plug.

Sidewall protection seems legit tho and I’m a fairly aggressive rider at 210lbs running 27 to 28 psi in the rear

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 19:45 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
gafoto wrote:

I think you’re asking if people are running INSERTS with EXO+ casings. My 2 cents, I just came off a DHR2 maxterra exo+ 2.4 WT with a Tannus tubeless insert. The tire held up pretty well on rocky terrain. I did however get a nice size puncture between the treads which required a plug.

Sidewall protection seems legit tho and I’m a fairly aggressive rider at 210lbs running 27 to 28 psi in the rear

Was that the EXO+ in the back or front?

Instead of DD front and back (insert in the rear) I’m thinking about running EXO+ front / DD rear with inserts in both. Or maybe none in the front. I guess I don’t ride hard enough to trash my front tire right now.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 20:26 Quote
gafoto wrote:

It is dependent on the insert (I think you meant insert, not casing) but I would not consider EXO+ with an insert as equivalent to DD. DD is an extra layer of rubber on the sidewall and helps if you tend to slash tires or fold the casing during hard cornering. EXO+ is a Kevlar-like layer under the tread and helps if you tend to puncture the tread on rocky terrain.

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 21:04 Quote
Exo+ is silkshield, which is used in their other tire lineups. Both exo and exo+ will feel flimsy at low pressure.

DD and DH are a different ballgame. Again, both of these have a second layer of carcass, rubber bumper inserts, and have a rather wooden, lifeless ride quality to them. Probably not necessary for most trail riding, and I think most riders believe an insert will give a better ride quality, regardless of what WAO and other well-respected companies and reviewers will say.

It’s also worth thinking about whether you have skinny rim beads (which help to puncture tires upon impact) and bend more easily on aluminum sets. Inserts would help more there.

Personally, I run a 120/140 trailbike with a fairly long rear center, and ride it pretty aggressively. There’s an insert AND normally a heavier weight enduro tire in the rear, no insert and lighter weight casing up front. Run pretty much the same PSI front and rear from this, which I find balances predictability with protecting the rear rim if something bad happens.

Inserts or heavy tires front and rear are really for park/dh use or if you do shuttle style terrain, imo. Not saying that you can’t ruin a front tire or rim, it’s just not going to happen as often. To OP, it sounds like you’re on the right track. A proper digital pump or reliable gauge will be your friend figuring things out with that new setup. Hope it works out for you!

FL
Posted: Jan 6, 2021 at 5:20 Quote
I've done some extremely rocky terrain (windrock bike park in tennessee) with worn EXO tires F/R (DHF - Aggressor) with zero failures. I've since replaced the tires with EXO again, pick your lines properly and dont smash into sharp rocks. I understand it's inevitable you'll get a flat, so if you're worried about it, run some inserts. The tannus seems light enough to not worry about the added weight.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 6, 2021 at 5:32 Quote
parkourfan wrote:
Exo+ is silkshield, which is used in their other tire lineups. Both exo and exo+ will feel flimsy at low pressure.

You are right. Exo+ is Silkshield which extends around the entire casing, not just under the tread. "Silkworm" is under-the-tread only.

For anyone interested, Maxxis' has very readable descriptions of all their tire tech here: https://www.maxxis.com/technology/bike-technology

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 22:54 Quote
I run Exo front Exo+ rear and haven't had issues. I have years of riding BMX and being light on my feet though so I can make most anything live lol

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 7:46 Quote
gafoto wrote:
gafoto wrote:

Instead of DD front and back (insert in the rear) I’m thinking about running EXO+ front / DD rear with inserts in both. Or maybe none in the front. I guess I don’t ride hard enough to trash my front tire right now.
I personally find that the exo+ with no insert feels very vague in turns and the sidewall isn’t great without running super high tyre pressure so not much grip. So I think my next tyre will be dd if that helps at all

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 8:43 Quote
gafoto wrote:
gafoto wrote:

I run DD aggressor rear, exo+ DHF front for pedally days. The extra stiffness in the rear plus the added flat protection is what I was going for. I ride hard but don't feel I need the extra stiffness or protection in the front. I run a DD assegai in the front for bike park days and I can definitely feel the extra heft compared to the exo+ DHF.

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 8:45 Quote
Beecee336 wrote:
gafoto wrote:

I run DD aggressor rear, exo+ DHF front for pedally days. The extra stiffness in the rear plus the added flat protection is what I was going for. I ride hard but don't feel I need the extra stiffness or protection in the front. I run a DD assegai in the front for bike park days and I can definitely feel the extra heft compared to the exo+ DHF.

This is the summer setup I plan to run, but was worried about how the DD aggressor pedals since I climb a good bit here in the PNW. Mounting my EXO+ DHF this week to match my fresh DC, DHRII to finish off the winter. I was glad to find a double down, dual compound in the aggressor unlike the DHRII. Excited to give it a shot!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014464
Mobile Version of Website