Do forks not come with service kits anymore?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Do forks not come with service kits anymore?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 5:11 Quote
So I bought a ZEB that I recently decided to get the lowers custom sprayed. Turns out that almost no places have stock of replacement wiper seals... I did find one place I ordered from but still not received them and not had confirmation of dispatch yet. So I'm left here potentially with the fork in bits with no possibility to get hold of service kits of which Rockshox used to always provide in the box alongside a shock pump. All I received with my ZEB was a shitty mudguard, some tokens, decals, cable ties and a leaflet. At least if they are gonna cut costs by not providing us with all the stuff they used to provide in the box they could at least make sure of stock elsewhere, it's been nearly a year and still insufficient stock of wiper seals is a joke. And to think for a full service kit they charge £60 and £30 for a pump, both of which used to be included in the price of a fork.
Is FOX, Ohlins ect also doing this?

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 6:31 Quote
I think DVOs come with a pump, at least they used to.

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 7:27 Quote
I can confirm Ohlins give you sweet FA. My recent Lyrik was the same as yours. Never had a new Fox that didn't come with a bike. TBH I have never heard of forks coming with service kits and would have been very surprised to see one! I get all my service stuff from TF Tuned, but looks like they don't have the 38mm RS stuff.

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 7:45 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
I can confirm Ohlins give you sweet FA. My recent Lyrik was the same as yours. Never had a new Fox that didn't come with a bike. TBH I have never heard of forks coming with service kits and would have been very surprised to see one! I get all my service stuff from TF Tuned, but looks like they don't have the 38mm RS stuff.

Yea my Lyrik dual position in 2017 came with a service kit, wiper seqls, o rings for damper ect, shock pump, a proper manual tokens ect, only thing it didn't was the cheap plastic mudguard you get now but I rather trade that crap for a service kit at least. It wouldn't be so bad if they actually had stock and at reasonable prices of replacement seals ect but they release these forks then don't release seals ect, even suspension tuners here have no stock so imagine if you send your fork in for a 'service' all they are doing is changing the oil and charging full wack.

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 8:33 Quote
Nowadays, forks don't even come with proper lube and oil inside so ...

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 8:44 Quote
Seems these greedy companies are doing an Apple...no charger included with latest Iphones.. to think 2017 is now considered the good old days XD. I mean lets be honest it costs them f all in chinese labour and materials to provide these extra bits, I rather pay them the extra £10 it costs them to make it and get it included in the box.

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 9:23 Quote
Danzzz, I really hope I'm not coming across as a pedantic dick, but it's etc (abbreviation of etcetera) rather than ect. Just letting you know, hopefully without causing any offence. tup

Completely agree with you about the seals. So many companies cutting costs nowadays and their products not being what they once were.

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 9:50 Quote
Fair enough, I've seen it spelt ect so many times I've never really thought about it.. I'm not an English connoisseur.

Anyway it is disappointing, knowing it wasn't so long ago we were getting all that stuff included, the shock pump fair enough I can live without multiple of those but what would it cost them to throw a few extra seals in. Having said that my Yeti frames never came in a genuine Yeti box either, not always with manuals also, Shimano stuff seems to have been cut down too, they provide levers separately but no compression nut or barbs and apparently no manuals too now, so Rockshox aren't the only culprits....sure they all put it down to their carbon footprint and not their profit margins.

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 9:58 Quote
It seems to be the way so many companies are going. Too much looking at the bottom line, without much consideration for customer satisfaction.

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 10:19 Quote
Well such things are only going to push me towards the small companies, in my mind if the big companies don't have good parts support and customer care and charge almost the same as premium niche brands then they have nothing going for them... No point buying mainstream if you get none of the perks.

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 20:14 Quote
Really? If I buy a set of brakes they don't come with extra brake pads. Seals are a wear item and are just about always purchased as part of a service kit. Hell when you buy a new bike they don't even include tokens/volume spacers with it.

The lack of inventory is a separate issue that if you wanted to pissed at Rockshox over would be totally reasonable. I didn't have any issue getting fox 36 seals in the fall of last year, just have to cross your fingers you get a fork that doesn't squeak.

Lots of reasons to support the smaller brands.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005401
Mobile Version of Website