CX vs road tires compatibility

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
CX vs road tires compatibility
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 7, 2021 at 8:58 Quote
Hello everyone,
Does someone try to use CX tires (33 mm) on a road bike like Giant Defy Advanced Pro ?
What are the final width once inflate of 33 mm CX tires ?
Thx in adavance for your kind reply.

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 at 9:54 Quote
final width depends on the inner diameter of your rim, so very hard to predict.

If you plan to use the cx tyre on asfalt you can try and see if it fits. If you plan to take it offroad you also have to take into account that the tyre takes up debris that can scratch your frame if it's really a tight fit....

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 15:18 Quote
aFinal width will depend on the width of the rim you are mounting the tires on, but a 33mm tire should typically measure out at 33 mm when mounted. If you are trying to mount a cx tire on an older road bike you will probably be SOL as they had tight clearances - my Brodie Roadie will just fit a 25mm slick tire. I was just reading that the current Domane's will take a 38 mm tire. I'd take a tape measure to the chain stay area of the bike as that's typically the tightest place and see how much space you have. Then if its doable but tight I'd think about how upset you will be if you get a bunch of tire rub on the chainstays before you try to mount something up.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 5:08 Quote
Thank you very much guys
I think your advice will be very usefull
As a mountain XC rider i know how much I hate loose surface like sand for example and i was wondering to try to fit these tire on my current road bike just to try before spending another 2-3 K$ on a CX bike !!!

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 10:06 Quote
bizounneux wrote:
Thank you very much guys
I think your advice will be very usefull
As a mountain XC rider i know how much I hate loose surface like sand for example and i was wondering to try to fit these tire on my current road bike just to try before spending another 2-3 K$ on a CX bike !!!

Before you drop any $ on a new bike for drop bar dirt riding, consider a gravel bike or an adventure bike as well. CX bikes are designed for CX racing and while they are pretty flexible, they do make compromises for the sport. You may find that buying an endurance style road bike that has disc brakes and takes road plus / fat tires or a gravel bike that splits the difference between vintage XC mountain biking and modern road biking is much more suited to your needs.

Lots of great new designs out there. Test ride a bunch and see what tickles your fancy before you commit to a CX bike. Kona and Norco have some good options that aren't stupidly expensive.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004761
Mobile Version of Website