Need recommendation on which bike to purchase

PB Forum :: 29ers
Need recommendation on which bike to purchase
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 17:08 Quote
Just got back into MB this summer, like a lot of people. My old/current bike is a Trek 8000 hardtail. I have been reading/watching many bike reviews to get some guidance on which is the best entry level full suspension bike to buy (whenever they become available). Looking to spend $2000-$2300. Will ride most any type of trails. If there is a bike that’s worth the extra $500 or so extra money I could go as high as $2800, if the extra $ make a difference in the quality of the bike. Again I’m just getting back into ridding. I haven’t gotten to aggressive just yet, but I want a bike that I can learn and progress my skills, but not get too much of a bike for my beginner level. Some of the bikes I’ve been considering is the YT Jeffsy Base, If the Jeffsy Comp is worth the extra $700 would consider. Commercial Meta TR Origin or if the extra $ worth it the Ride or Ride SRAM. Marin Rift Zone 2 or if $ worth it the Rift Zone 3. Polygon Siskiu T8. Also the Vitas Mythique VRX. Which won the Pinkbike value trail bike of the year, but I don’t think it went up against some of the bikes I have listed. Also have Giant Trance 29 3 on my list. Any suggestions which bike is the best value for the level I am at would be appreciated. I don’t have anyone I know who rides, so I don’t have anyone with experienced to help give me some guidance. Thanks in advance!

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 19:12 Quote
Everything you mentioned would work well for general 'trail riding'. The truth is- mountain bikes have all gotten really good. I don't think you can really go wrong so long as you buy a trail bike.

Stock is low on most models... so my advice?

Buy whatever you like the look of (literally, like color/design), which you can find in stock and in budget. $2300 is plenty to get a very nice bike from most brands.

So, what do you like the color of? Is it in stock anywhere?

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 19:32 Quote
The higher price models usually come with better drivetrain and suspension. Sram sx isn't that great, nx or deore are better. Also base models don't always have dropper seat posts.

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 21:26 Quote
A dropper post is a definite option I want. As far as colors go, the matte blacks or sand I like, but most have good color schemes. Thanks for the info on the levels of the drivetrains and suspension. I was trying to figure out how the levels went. I’ve been on several email lists to notify me of the ones I’m looking at when they come in stock. None of the bikes have been in stock for awhile. Today I got several emails about the Mythique VRX being in stock and no more than 5 minutes after getting the email I check on their website and it was out of stock again. I liked the price and since it won the best value trail bike from the guys who really know bikes, I think I would have pulled the trigger. But in the back of my mind I’m thinking is the Jeffsy or the Meta a better bike or is the extra cost of those not really worth the added cost. Like Fabris mentioned they all will be good bikes, especially from what I’ve been riding.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 12:13 Quote
As the others have said, you really can't go wrong. If given a choice, prioritize frame and suspension over components and brakes - they make a bigger difference to the ride, and are much harder to upgrade.

You won't really know which bike is best for you until you buy it and ride it for a while (probably a full season or two). At that point you can upgrade bikes or components as needed, but don't sweat it. Given availability, just buy something in stock and don't look back.

And make sure it fits! Fortunately most manufacturers have come into alignment on sizes, so go by their size charts. If between sizes, check out how the Stack and Reach of that bike compare to other bikes, and move up or down accordingly.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv23 0.005031
Mobile Version of Website