Timing for Trailforks data to the Edge 830 / 530 / 1030 Plus

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Timing for Trailforks data to the Edge 830 / 530 / 1030 Plus
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 12:02 Quote
I have a Garmin Edge 830.
I submitted quite a bit of data to Trailforks from September through October.
I went ahead and paid for Trailforks to have access to the Garmin basemaps.
The Garmin Basemaps haven't been updated since July.
Newer Garmin Edge models also come with the Trailforks maps 'baked in' to the device, so to say.
Therefore the new official Garmin Edge 830 map updates this week do not have any of the data I submitted to Trailforks back in September. -as Trailforks didn't have their basemaps updated in time for Garmin's map update this week.

Trailforks and Garmin REALLY should have done a better job communicating and timing these updates. If Garmin simply dumps the Trailforks garmin basemap data into their own map updates, it's really bad that Trailforks doesn't have this data updated in time for the Garmin official map updates.

So the data I submitted in Sept - Oct will ultimately be nearly 1 year from submission until they get to the official Garmin update (in another half year when they update).
-This refers to the maps that come ON the new Garmin devices (not downloaded from Trailforks website).
This is a pretty big letdown. Hopefully both companies can time things better as they seem to have some type of partnership to supply the data.

For anyone else in the same boat, you will need to download each individual GPX file for the missing trails, add them to your Garmin Routes, make them 'always visible' under route settings.

Mod Plus
Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 11:03 Quote
The baked in map on the Edge X30 devices have nothing to do with the custom basemaps downloadable on the Trailforks website. Their update timing is not linked.

We send Garmin a dump of all the trail data formatted for their platform 3 times a year. But I'm not sure when and how often Garmin itself pushes out updates.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 20:24 Quote
canadaka wrote:
The baked in map on the Edge X30 devices have nothing to do with the custom basemaps downloadable on the Trailforks website. Their update timing is not linked.

We send Garmin a dump of all the trail data formatted for their platform 3 times a year. But I'm not sure when and how often Garmin itself pushes out updates.

Thanks for clarifying, that's good to know.
Also, I owe an apology - I was wrong about the Garmin map update. I keep mine updated but it just now in January told me a map update was available, but it was for a 2020 (v2) update... so it looks like it was one of last years updates pushing to my device late, not a 2021 (which I assumed was the case). (so the issue was garmin pushing a late map update and me not paying attention to the year on it).

I'll most likely just use the downloads direct from Pinkbike and manually enable GPX files for recent trails. Or just buy an old Sony waterproof phone and run the Trailforks app. Cool

Mod Plus
Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 8:36 Quote
I actually quite like mounting an old phone to the bars when navigating a new trail network.
https://www.trailforks.com/help/view/135/

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.004868
Mobile Version of Website