Bike storage

• Previous Page
Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 15:21 Quote
I'm looking at storage solutions and seeing my mtb's hanging vertically makes me wonder on the force exerted on the connection between the uppers and lowers in the fork. Anyone that has experienced issues with this ... Thinking thin XC and long trail forks - the longer trail forks looks like a possible issue? Any thoughts?

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 15:37 Quote
Do you ride your bike on a cloud? Surely the wear and tear on your bike is a billion times more actually riding the bike than just hanging on a wall

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 17:34 Quote
sdaly wrote:
Do you ride your bike on a cloud? Surely the wear and tear on your bike is a billion times more actually riding the bike than just hanging on a wall
Not really factual there, thanx for trying though.

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 18:28 Quote
What answer are you looking for? They will be fine

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 3:03 Quote
Honestly, as I'm looking at my winter enduro hardtail hanging on the wall for 6 month, 15.5kg.
That puts an estimated 13kg (or more) pivoting on the seals inside the Lyric. I'm not sue whether this is good for the fork, or what that continuous angle of force actually does to the fork - if anything. So I was hoping to gather an educated answer from someone .

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 5:21 Quote
take the whole bike a apart and store it in a climate controlled room.

Hang it on the wall.... its a bike...

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 12:30 Quote
General IQ here seems to be more downcountry than trail

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 12:43 Quote
You already have your mind made up, do whatever you want. A bike hanging on the wall is not seeing any movement in the fork bushings, and it's not even on the same scale as banging down a trail with your OCD ass on it. Your baby will be just fine

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 13:26 Quote
dieskim wrote:

It seems to go the same way as questions asked...
Also don't ride off-road with it, there are all kinds of hostile forces applying to the bike. Probably best to just leave it hanging, thats the safest way...

FL
Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 13:44 Quote
It'll be fine, it's a small static load compared to much higher dynamic loads that occur when riding. It won't affect the seals as the load will be through the bushings, not the seals. If you have floor space then you can buy something like Bikestow (if you are in UK, not sure if the ship worldwide), or something similar. If you are really worried then hang them by the rear wheel, but it's really not an issue.

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 14:01 Quote
Davec85 wrote:
It'll be fine, it's a small static load compared to much higher dynamic loads that occur when riding. It won't affect the seals as the load will be through the bushings, not the seals. If you have floor space then you can buy something like Bikestow (if you are in UK, not sure if the ship worldwide), or something similar. If you are really worried then hang them by the rear wheel, but it's really not an issue.

But then what about the shock!?!?

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 16:03 Quote
Just lower your hook so the rear wheel is resting on the floor. That way you can preserve your floor space, the bike won't fall over, and you won't have the entire weight of the bike... hanging still.

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 17:09 Quote
But then I'll get a flat spot in my tire

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 17:19 Quote
dieskim wrote:

Aren't you a pompous twat.

You can look for issues where none exist all you want, but your bike will be fine to hang like that. In fact, it will prolly do it some good since the seals will stay lubed.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 18:32 Quote
m1dg3t wrote:
dieskim wrote:
it will prolly do it some good since the seals will stay lubed.

Mate, that's the first on point comment.

Saying "the bike" can take it... It's not "the bike" taking the force I'm questioning, just your nicely tuned expensive fork.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011010
Mobile Version of Website