Garmin 530 + Trailforks usage

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Garmin 530 + Trailforks usage
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 18:21 Quote
Hey folks,

Just picked up an edge 530 today after being on a 500 for the past 6 years. In using trailforks on the 530 can I simply use as a map while I'm riding, or is the only way to use trailforks is to have a route downloaded onto my garmin?

Would love if I could just use it as a map, but can't seem to figure out how! Thanks y'all

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 22:47 Quote
mattandhisbike wrote:
Hey folks,

Just picked up an edge 530 today after being on a 500 for the past 6 years. In using trailforks on the 530 can I simply use as a map while I'm riding, or is the only way to use trailforks is to have a route downloaded onto my garmin?

Would love if I could just use it as a map, but can't seem to figure out how! Thanks y'all

On the 530, log into the Trailforks app on your Garmin - it will then pop up on your phone to authorize, (I think). This will unlock the Trailforks basemap, which overlays on top of OSM. (Or you can disable the city maps if you only want the trails).
You can then go into the ride profile in navigation settings and make sure that Trailforks is enabled. It should be enabled by default in the MTB profile.
You still have the option of loading routes through the Trailforks app, but at that point it's an entirely different thing. The Trailforks basemap will no longer have anything to do with the CIQ app, which loads routes.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 5:45 Quote
ztbishop wrote:
mattandhisbike wrote:
Hey folks,

On the 530, log into the Trailforks app on your Garmin - it will then pop up on your phone to authorize, (I think). This will unlock the Trailforks basemap, which overlays on top of OSM. (Or you can disable the city maps if you only want the trails).
You can then go into the ride profile in navigation settings and make sure that Trailforks is enabled. It should be enabled by default in the MTB profile.
You still have the option of loading routes through the Trailforks app, but at that point it's an entirely different thing. The Trailforks basemap will no longer have anything to do with the CIQ app, which loads routes.

So I believe I did that correctly. Will I be able to see the trails while I'm riding them, because when I zoom in onto a local trail on thr nav screen I dont think I saw the trailforks map when I tried it

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 14:37 Quote
Yeah - assuming you are using a mountain bike profile, and you made sure the trailforks map is enabled under the profile > navigation settings > maps.

If it's still not visible there, I would check the Trailforks website and make sure the maps exist and see if maybe it has a recent submitted date. I just made a post about this to try and figure out the timing, but it seems that it can take a long time for a trail submission to make it into the Trailforks garmin base maps.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 14:40 Quote
I would check other areas to see if the Trailforks maps are enabled. They would show up as thicker colored lines (much more visible than the openstreetmap trail lines). Does the Trailforks basemap show as enabled under the navigation - map settings?

Here is what I do if the trails aren't in the Garmin basemap yet.
-Download the GPX file for each trail from Trailforks (or another site if they aren't in trailforks).
-Save them to the Garmin.... I think there is a 'new' folder or something along those lines. I don't recall exactly how to do it without affecting your stats.
-Go to your courses on the garmin device, open each of the GPX files you saved and set 'always visible'.

It's not quite as nice because you can't change the line width - but I think you can at least change the color.

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 19:00 Quote
ztbishop wrote:
Yeah - assuming you are using a mountain bike profile, and you made sure the trailforks map is enabled under the profile > navigation settings > maps.

If it's still not visible there, I would check the Trailforks website and make sure the maps exist and see if maybe it has a recent submitted date. I just made a post about this to try and figure out the timing, but it seems that it can take a long time for a trail submission to make it into the Trailforks garmin base maps.

This worked perfectly! So stoked that I can see trail maps at places I ride now without picking up my phone!!!

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
I just purchased a Garmin Edge 530 as well. As a Trailforks PRO user I expected to turn it on, log in to my Trailforks account, and kazzam, have all the same Trailforks data displayed as on my phone app. I was recalling looking forward to the "fork-sight" feature to show me upcoming trail junctions. But nada. The only options available are to download 1.)My Routes, 2.) Popular Routes near me, or 3.) worldwide famous routes (far away from me). I have stumbled opon some information on the trailforks website which instructs the user to download a Trailforks basemap for my region (as a gpx file) and then upload that to my Garmin device. I'm not sure how to do that exactly but will give it a go shortly. Nonetheless, I'm disappointed that it's not as "integrated" as advertised.

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
If you are trying to navigate with the Garmin 530, i'd say just look elsewhere. Super janky UI plus not great GPS tracking (my icon was constantly spinning around) = a returned item. I bought a iphone SE (2016) and quadlock mount. Could not be happier, it is perfect

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005723
Mobile Version of Website