TRP Slate T4 vs Shimano XT 4 pot

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
TRP Slate T4 vs Shimano XT 4 pot
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 22:47 Quote
I am looking for new brakes, as I dont really like my guides. I can afford new slates or used xt 4 pots. Which should I go for? For does trp feel in comparison to shimano? How does trp compare to sram?

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 3:19 Quote
Kamiizoo wrote:
I am looking for new brakes, as I dont really like my guides. I can afford new slates or used xt 4 pots. Which should I go for? For does trp feel in comparison to shimano? How does trp compare to sram?
Neither. Magura MT5 is the same price, more powerful and without inconsistent bite point (Shimano).

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 7:43 Quote
onyxss wrote:
Kamiizoo wrote:
Neither. Magura MT5 is the same price, more powerful and without inconsistent bite point (Shimano).
I have heard bad things about Magura levers. Plastic and break super easily.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 8:27 Quote
Kamiizoo wrote:

This is probably a good article for you:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ridden-and-rated-5-four-piston-brakes.html

I know the TRP's have modulation through the roof relative to most other brakes. They may not be the most powerful, sure, but that modulation won't lose your front end when you need to really grab that left brake lever. Heck, I run resin pads on my SLX calipers for more modulation. I'll admit that the front doesn't quite have as much power as I want with a 2-piston SLX though...probably because it's a 29er with soft tires.

The previously recommended Magura's are good too, but Magura parts can be a little harder to find. A big advantage of TRP/Shimano is they use widely available pads that you will likely find at any shop. Might be valuable if you're on the road with your bike one day.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 9:06 Quote
I really like my TRP Slates, especially with Shimano Saint/ Zee D02S Sintered Brake Pads installed.
If you buy them new the come with a two year warranty.
The levers are definitely way different than the Shimano Xt's or Sram Guides.
I have a pair of Guides as well and now prefer the lever feel of the Slates, but it is definitely a personal preference thing.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 9:19 Quote
mtnbikermitch wrote:
I really like my TRP Slates, especially with Shimano Saint/ Zee D02S Sintered Brake Pads installed.
If you buy them new the come with a two year warranty.
The levers are definitely way different than the Shimano Xt's or Sram Guides.
I have a pair of Guides as well and now prefer the lever feel of the Slates, but it is definitely a personal preference thing.
how is the lever feel compared to shimano? I am thinking I want xt instead, I prefer more touchy brakes. I just want something that isn't as touchy as shimano.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 9:20 Quote
Remonster wrote:
Kamiizoo wrote:

This is probably a good article for you:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ridden-and-rated-5-four-piston-brakes.html

I know the TRP's have modulation through the roof relative to most other brakes. They may not be the most powerful, sure, but that modulation won't lose your front end when you need to really grab that left brake lever. Heck, I run resin pads on my SLX calipers for more modulation. I'll admit that the front doesn't quite have as much power as I want with a 2-piston SLX though...probably because it's a 29er with soft tires.

The previously recommended Magura's are good too, but Magura parts can be a little harder to find. A big advantage of TRP/Shimano is they use widely available pads that you will likely find at any shop. Might be valuable if you're on the road with your bike one day.
thanks for the detailed response. I prefer a more touchy brake, just want something a little less so than Shimano. I guess I will go Shimano

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 1:55 Quote
Kamiizoo wrote:
onyxss wrote:
Kamiizoo wrote:
I have heard bad things about Magura levers. Plastic and break super easily.
Those plastic complaints refer mainly to MT7 original levers.
You take MT5 with HC1 levers - metal levers. They are as break-prone as any other brakes.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 4:26 Quote
onyxss wrote:
without inconsistent bite point (Shimano).

I've had various Shimano brake setups over the years, and have never had that issue.

XT M800 levers, XT M785 calipers with Goodridge hose, 180mm XT RT86 discs and semi-metal pads feel awesome.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005357
Mobile Version of Website