What bike is for me?

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 12:49 Quote
Hey guys, I've been looking at bikes for a while and it's finally time to choose one...I ride a lot of flow and jump trails but I am also on a xc/trail race team, I want an enduro bike with no more than 170/160mm of travel and no less than 150/140mm of travel. I need a bike that can climb, hit jumps, and shred the downhill. A do-it-all bike with a budget of $3700, meaning 3500 on a website because of shipping or 3700 used.
I've looked at commencal, propain, privateer, santa cruz. I do not want yt or canyon. Anyway some help on what I should get would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 14:45 Quote
There are lots of great bikes that could meet your needs. A few come to mind that you didn't already mention. Specialized Stumpjumper Evo, Status, Ibis Ripmo AF, Polygon, Marin Alpine Trail, etc. All of those bikes can be found within your budget new with solid builds. The Ripmo AF might be the most well-rounded of the ones I listed. If it was my money I'd probably go Ripmo AF or Status. The Status is only $2600 new which leaves you a lot of money left over. The Commencal Meta build for $3500 is solid but that bike will be a tank and I wouldn't want to ride it on more mellow trails. I hope that helps.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 16:32 Quote
WalrusRider wrote:
There are lots of great bikes that could meet your needs. A few come to mind that you didn't already mention. Specialized Stumpjumper Evo, Status, Ibis Ripmo AF, Polygon, Marin Alpine Trail, etc. All of those bikes can be found within your budget new with solid builds. The Ripmo AF might be the most well-rounded of the ones I listed. If it was my money I'd probably go Ripmo AF or Status. The Status is only $2600 new which leaves you a lot of money left over. The Commencal Meta build for $3500 is solid but that bike will be a tank and I wouldn't want to ride it on more mellow trails. I hope that helps.

Status is unobtanium in many areas and incredibly heavy, plus it supposedly doesn't climb well compared to what OP was looking for.
Privateer - read the thread on here. Lots of disappointment with the build quality and QC. That, plus the weight and super steep seat angle, means it's a winch up and smash down brawler, meaning it's out for trail/xc use.

In that price range, ripmo af all day long. If you bash on wheels (or want to drop some weight and add better hubs), carbon wheels with a good warranty+inserts would be in your future. Reviews are overwhelmingly positive, and I think its 'BKXC' that runs a carbon ripmo for that popular 50-state shred series, so you can kind of see it go across different terrain if you're into that kind of thing.
Vitus sommet CR is good bang for the buck, and would have better customer service thanks to CRC as opposed to the other DTC brands you didn't want. However, not great for trail/XC.
The shorter travel vitus (escarpe?) would be a nice option, and it uses the same front triangle as the bigger travel rig IIRC.
The newest meta is too much of a brawler to be fun/fast on mild trails, and santa cruz is really out of the price point; though the hightower would be a good option for you, the relative value just isn't there.
Other options if you can find them in stock would be the reign and stumpjumper evo, both of which kind of straddle your given price point (i.e. aluminum is cheaper/crappier spec than what you'd probably want, and the carbon versions with 'good value' are about a thousand bucks more).

My ideas on your budget/application - you certainly don't need more than 150 in the rear and 160 in the front if you're doing mostly jump/flow trails. Plenty of aggressive 130/140-150 trailbikes can handle flow trails and big jumps just fine - it's a matter of how much you want to beat them up. If you're racing XC/trail and actually care about results, you need something much, much more efficient than anything recommended here. Think trance 29er, the new stumpy with the flexstays (yuck), etc. Anything that's genuinely good for XC/mild trail will get beaten to shit if you do more than a few big park days on it. Anything that can handle park days is going to be 31+ lbs in that price range and climb/traverse like a soggy POS compared to the more efficient bikes. However, if you need to balance "racing XC" with "shredding DH" you're going to make some big compromises in one way or another. A ripmo AF with light/fast rolling wheelset for trail days and throwing some inserts and heavy tires on the stock alloy wheels for the DH would be a fine 'one bike' solution.

The used market is pretty shit right now, and will most likely continue to be for the next year at a minimum.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 17:36 Quote
WOW! thanks so much for the input my races aren't as important to me because I more enjoy mtb for the sport so I'm leaning towards "trail bike" 160/150 or 150/140 is what I would prefer but I'm willing to get more travel just don't want to, this really helps me out, I really like that the Ripmo has dvo on it stock but the geometry and overall looks aren't doing it for me anyway thanks for the great responses.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 9:41 Quote
You'd be surprised at how well the new Specialized Enduro can climb and you'd be even more surprised at how fast you can go downhill with confidence. My 2020 Enduro climbs better than my old 2020 Stumpjumper. I realize that the Enduro has a little more travel than you're looking for but it really is that good. You could probably find a used comp model in your price range.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 9:56 Quote
ewp2005 wrote:
Hey guys, I've been looking at bikes for a while and it's finally time to choose one...I ride a lot of flow and jump trails but I am also on a xc/trail race team, I want an enduro bike with no more than 170/160mm of travel and no less than 150/140mm of travel. I need a bike that can climb, hit jumps, and shred the downhill. A do-it-all bike with a budget of $3700, meaning 3500 on a website because of shipping or 3700 used.
I've looked at commencal, propain, privateer, santa cruz. I do not want yt or canyon. Anyway some help on what I should get would be much appreciated. Thank you.
If I had that budget, I would probably buy an ibis ripmo af in the deore trim, sell the normal deore and buy an slx or gx group set to replace it. That should end up right at your budget point, or you could choose a better suspension package to go along with the deore. The first suggestion would also probably work if you selected the DVO coil shock instead of the standard one.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 12:38 Quote
How long are you willing to wait for your new bike? If I was shopping for a new bike right now I'd be less concerned with debating bike A which has a fork that will make me faster than Gwin vs. bike B that has the one seat tube angle to rule them all vs bike C that has realized the plutonic ideal of rear suspension kinematics and more concerned with bike A is expected to ship in 3 months, bike B in 6 months and bike C in 9 months.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 21:54 Quote
I'll third the Ripmo AF. I take mine to the bike park, ride flow trails, chunk, jumps, XC, anything I throw at it. Good Swiss Army knife bike even though its on the heavy side of the spectrum.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 6:11 Quote
You need at least 160mm travel F & R, a motor, and the bike can't be less than $6500. Anything less and you should just quit and move to a different hobby/sport.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
(@m1dg3t) You saying I need a e-bike? lol

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005214
Mobile Version of Website