Which bike should I get? Commencal clash origin vs Polygon Siskiu t8

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Which bike should I get? Commencal clash origin vs Polygon Siskiu t8
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 10:36 Quote
Hi guys I am buying a new bike soon and I can’t make up my mind between these two choices. https://www.commencalusa.com/Mobile/clash-origin-graphite-2021-c2x31920168
https://www.polygonbikes.com/product/mountain/siskiu-t8-2/
I know they are both pretty different bikes, and I need some other opinions. I do a lot of technical trail riding, but I also enjoy bike parks and try to send off whatever I can on the trail. I go off some big ledges with flat landings and I do not know if the siskiu has enough travel for landing flat or a big case on a regular jump. I know that the siskiu will climb better and the drivetrain on the siskiu is stronger. I like the long travel aspect of the Commencal clash with the slack, aggressive geometry and I know it will handle jumps and drops better. My local trails have a considerable amount of climbing, but not anything that crazy, for the most part it is relatively flat and technical. I do like to take any trail and ride it kind of like a single track and flowy. Thanks for your opinions.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 11:37 Quote
I just want to preface this by saying I agree with you that the clash looks appealing geometry wise.
That being said:

The commencal does not have a dropper post. This is the biggest issue with the bike. If you buy the clash origin you will want to upgrade that ASAP.

The drivetrain on the polygon is a 12 speed 10-51 tooth SLX (which is actually a really nice drivetrain)

The drivetrain on the commencal is a 10 speed 10-46 tooth deore (the deore is supposed to punch above it's weight, but the SLX is definitely better)

I rode a cannondale jekyll (180/165) last season and it was a lot of fun for me, even on the flatter trails, but I just don't think the geo and extra 40mm of travel is worth losing out on a dropper.

Basically, if you buy the clash, buy a dropper (You might be able to get one for about $100 US if you buy certified refurbished from pnw components https://cycled.pnwcomponents.com/collections/internally-routed-dropper-posts)

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 23:52 Quote
AdinK wrote:
Hi guys I am buying a new bike soon and I can’t make up my mind between these two choices. https://www.commencalusa.com/Mobile/clash-origin-graphite-2021-c2x31920168
https://www.polygonbikes.com/product/mountain/siskiu-t8-2/
I know they are both pretty different bikes, and I need some other opinions. I do a lot of technical trail riding, but I also enjoy bike parks and try to send off whatever I can on the trail. I go off some big ledges with flat landings and I do not know if the siskiu has enough travel for landing flat or a big case on a regular jump. I know that the siskiu will climb better and the drivetrain on the siskiu is stronger. I like the long travel aspect of the Commencal clash with the slack, aggressive geometry and I know it will handle jumps and drops better. My local trails have a considerable amount of climbing, but not anything that crazy, for the most part it is relatively flat and technical. I do like to take any trail and ride it kind of like a single track and flowy. Thanks for your opinions.
I would personally think am I going to upgrade this bike heavily? If not go for the polygon as it’s substantially better spec compared to a commencal for the same price but if you are wanting to upgrade it and don’t mind putting money into it like a dropper probably a better damper in the fork or a new fork then I would go for the commencal

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 3:55 Quote
I have a polygon siskui t7 and i would go with the clash if i were you because the commencial will be alot more revised compared to the polygon mine has cable rateling when ever i turn my bars and the suspension platform isent that good compared to other bikes i think it comes down to what you are doing if you are just rideing trails small jumps go polygon but if you are doing big jumps and going downhill go with the commencial. I was doing big jumps and dh on my polygon and wish id payed alittle for for a longer travel bike.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 3:57 Quote
Also one of my friends got the commencial clash ohlins edition and loves it and the bike is dead silent no ratles and he does what sound simmilar to what your doing

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 5:40 Quote
If I get the clash I do plan on buying a dropper post and upgrading the yari to lyrik status at some point. I think the biggest questions for me are which bike will be able to take more abuse? Will the clash climb anywhere near the siskiu? Will the siskiu handle park riding?

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 5:41 Quote
MTBer888 wrote:
Also one of my friends got the commencial clash ohlins edition and loves it and the bike is dead silent no ratles and he does what sound simmilar to what your doing

Can he climb well on that bike?

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 5:48 Quote
Dragonfly- wrote:
I just want to preface this by saying I agree with you that the clash looks appealing geometry wise.
That being said:

The commencal does not have a dropper post. This is the biggest issue with the bike. If you buy the clash origin you will want to upgrade that ASAP.

The drivetrain on the polygon is a 12 speed 10-51 tooth SLX (which is actually a really nice drivetrain)

The drivetrain on the commencal is a 10 speed 10-46 tooth deore (the deore is supposed to punch above it's weight, but the SLX is definitely better)

I rode a cannondale jekyll (180/165) last season and it was a lot of fun for me, even on the flatter trails, but I just don't think the geo and extra 40mm of travel is worth losing out on a dropper.

Basically, if you buy the clash, buy a dropper (You might be able to get one for about $100 US if you buy certified refurbished from pnw components https://cycled.pnwcomponents.com/collections/internally-routed-dropper-posts)
I’m aware that the drivetrain and pretty much all the specs on the siskiu are better, but do you think it will handle park riding? And I do plan on buying a dropper for the clash if I get that one.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 12:58 Quote
AdinK wrote:
If I get the clash I do plan on buying a dropper post and upgrading the yari to lyrik status at some point. I think the biggest questions for me are which bike will be able to take more abuse? Will the clash climb anywhere near the siskiu? Will the siskiu handle park riding?

About the yari to lyrik upgrade: Turns out, the only real difference between these forks is the damper which you can upgrade (https://www.jensonusa.com/RockShox-Charger-21-RC2-Kit-LyrikYariPike) for about $350 dollars.

Second, the Clash will be able to handle more bike park abuse (that's what its made for) compared to the siskiu.

The siskiu will climb much better, but if that's not a priority for you it will climb just fine. I treat climbs as a way to get to the descents and just ride the fire road as often as not so I don't care much if my bike is a bit harder to climb on as long as its more fun on the descents. The Clash will climb and it has a lockout switch on the shock, so I'd imagine you'd probably just lock it out and grind the climb out.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 7:09 Quote
Dragonfly- wrote:
AdinK wrote:
If I get the clash I do plan on buying a dropper post and upgrading the yari to lyrik status at some point. I think the biggest questions for me are which bike will be able to take more abuse? Will the clash climb anywhere near the siskiu? Will the siskiu handle park riding?

About the yari to lyrik upgrade: Turns out, the only real difference between these forks is the damper which you can upgrade (https://www.jensonusa.com/RockShox-Charger-21-RC2-Kit-LyrikYariPike) for about $350 dollars.

Second, the Clash will be able to handle more bike park abuse (that's what its made for) compared to the siskiu.

The siskiu will climb much better, but if that's not a priority for you it will climb just fine. I treat climbs as a way to get to the descents and just ride the fire road as often as not so I don't care much if my bike is a bit harder to climb on as long as its more fun on the descents. The Clash will climb and it has a lockout switch on the shock, so I'd imagine you'd probably just lock it out and grind the climb out.
So the clash would be able to handle more all around abuse and last longer? Will the clash do well on regular trail riding?

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 22:41 Quote
If you are going to upgrade the clash that much you may aswell spend abit more and get the clash ride 2021 which has a roch shox zeb up front and a rock shox super deluxe in the back.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 22:44 Quote
AdinK wrote:
MTBer888 wrote:
Also one of my friends got the commencial clash ohlins edition and loves it and the bike is dead silent no ratles and he does what sound simmilar to what your doing

Can he climb well on that bike?

If you get a bike like the clash the main reason you are getting it is to be commfortible on the decents we ride a short down hill and then ride back to the top and he has no problem and no complaints keeping up.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 22:47 Quote
MTBer888 wrote:
If you are going to upgrade the clash that much you may aswell spend abit more and get the clash ride 2021 which has a roch shox zeb up front and a rock shox super deluxe in the back.
Doesn't the ride have an sx drivetrain on it? I know the sx is supposed to be pretty bad but people say that the nx also sucks even though I love mine. but yeah, the ride might be a good option.

Posted: Jan 16, 2021 at 7:01 Quote
Dragonfly- wrote:
MTBer888 wrote:
If you are going to upgrade the clash that much you may aswell spend abit more and get the clash ride 2021 which has a roch shox zeb up front and a rock shox super deluxe in the back.
Doesn't the ride have an sx drivetrain on it? I know the sx is supposed to be pretty bad but people say that the nx also sucks even though I love mine. but yeah, the ride might be a good option.
Yes it does have the sx... not interested in paying 2800 for a bike with a plastic derailleur

Posted: Jan 16, 2021 at 14:55 Quote
I think I will get the siskiu just because of the better component specs and the dropper because I’m not doing any particularly insane jumps and I can put some extra volume spacers in the back shock of the siskiu

Previous Page |

 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv23 0.005674
Mobile Version of Website