Types of Jumps

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Types of Jumps
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 12:57 Quote
So I'm building some trails and I decided to add a small jump line to spice things up, but the problem is I don't know what kind of jumps to put. Any Ideas? I don't want anything too big.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 8:38 Quote
It sounds like the best jumps would be a tabletop or a rollable double. A tabletop is a rollable gap jump with a bunch of dirt in the middle. This makes it very good for progression. A rollable double is 2 rollers put together so that you can pump, manua, or jump them. Here is a diagram: https://ninja-mtb-ninjamountainbik.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/jump_anatomy.jpg

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 11:22 Quote
p-m-z wrote:
It sounds like the best jumps would be a tabletop or a rollable double. A tabletop is a rollable gap jump with a bunch of dirt in the middle. This makes it very good for progression. A rollable double is 2 rollers put together so that you can pump, manua, or jump them. Here is a diagram: https://ninja-mtb-ninjamountainbik.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/jump_anatomy.jpg

Thanks for the advice, I'll try and make it work

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 15:05 Quote
NoMaDicMTBer wrote:
So I'm building some trails and I decided to add a small jump line to spice things up, but the problem is I don't know what kind of jumps to put. Any Ideas? I don't want anything too big.

building a step up on an upward slope can be a good way to get alot of air time while still being close to the ground and therefore low consequence. a small drop with a very long landing starting right at the lip is also a good beginner/progression feature, the faster you hit it the bigger the drop.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 18:12 Quote
It really depends on your skill level and what your comfortable hitting. If your pretty comfortable but don’t want much risk, go with a table. If you want something intermediate and flowy go with a long and low. But like Ben Rogers said, a steep lipped step up would be the best for learning tricks, or polishing up on ones you already know.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 20:10 Quote
BenRogers10 wrote:
NoMaDicMTBer wrote:

building a step up on an upward slope can be a good way to get alot of air time while still being close to the ground and therefore low consequence. a small drop with a very long landing starting right at the lip is also a good beginner/progression feature, the faster you hit it the bigger the drop.

I actually started making a step up today

bmwhanley wrote:
It really depends on your skill level and what your comfortable hitting. If your pretty comfortable but don’t want much risk, go with a table. If you want something intermediate and flowy go with a long and low. But like Ben Rogers said, a steep lipped step up would be the best for learning tricks, or polishing up on ones you already know.

I think I will make a tabletop along with the step up, how high and long should the tabletop be?

FL
Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 22:44 Quote
Build the jump to fit the trail flow (if that makes sense) like, you don't wanna come around a tech,blind corner an find a 6 ft high moon booter in front of you. Or a fast straight section, hit a launch an see the landing fly past underneath you an brace for hard,flat landing...

The best thing about jumps is, you Will be constantly repairing an re'shaping. So start small an mellow. Judge the length by the speed of the trail then, as you gain in abilities you can re'build to your skills an desire.
Another thing to give thought, small tech roller/ rythym sections can be just as fun an challenging as huge booter doubles.As you can jump,pump an manual roll em in all sorts of combo's.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 6:57 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
Build the jump to fit the trail flow (if that makes sense) like, you don't wanna come around a tech,blind corner an find a 6 ft high moon booter in front of you. Or a fast straight section, hit a launch an see the landing fly past underneath you an brace for hard,flat landing...

The best thing about jumps is, you Will be constantly repairing an re'shaping. So start small an mellow. Judge the length by the speed of the trail then, as you gain in abilities you can re'build to your skills an desire.
Another thing to give thought, small tech roller/ rythym sections can be just as fun an challenging as huge booter doubles.As you can jump,pump an manual roll em in all sorts of combo's.

Me and my friends are always improving the jump line for the maximum flow, good thing I found clay-rich dirt around the trails, it really makes it easier to sculpt the way you want it and holds up longer.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 10:41 Quote
NoMaDicMTBer wrote:
Me and my friends are always improving the jump line for the maximum flow, good thing I found clay-rich dirt around the trails, it really makes it easier to sculpt the way you want it and holds up longer.

If you want to save yourself a lot of shoveling and are confident in your carpentry skills you can make a gap jump then build a wide bridge spanning the gap to create a table.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 11:18 Quote
BenRogers10 wrote:
NoMaDicMTBer wrote:

If you want to save yourself a lot of shoveling and are confident in your carpentry skills you can make a gap jump then build a wide bridge spanning the gap to create a table.

Ill see what my friends think about that. I'm sold on that idea though. My dad would probably have to help me with the wood but it doesn't seem to hard to make

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 15:23 Quote
Aight, after a couple hours of work I have figured out a hybrid of BenRoger10's idea

I am going to incorporate the idea of making a wood tabletop, except where the step up is, the tabletop will be there to jump up onto and go on for a couple feet and have a nice drop off with a landing (if that makes any sense) so it will be like a step up but with the wood bridge

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 17:19 Quote
NoMaDicMTBer wrote:
Aight, after a couple hours of work I have figured out a hybrid of BenRoger10's idea

I am going to incorporate the idea of making a wood tabletop, except where the step up is, the tabletop will be there to jump up onto and go on for a couple feet and have a nice drop off with a landing (if that makes any sense) so it will be like a step up but with the wood bridge

Sweeet! If u want, u could send a pic when your done!

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 20:31 Quote
You thinking something like this?
photo
photo

p-m-z wrote:
NoMaDicMTBer wrote:

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 20:54 Quote
payettetrails wrote:
photo
photo

p-m-z wrote:
NoMaDicMTBer wrote:

Kind of, but keep the main tabletop and substitute the ways to get up to it with some jumps to make it a step up if that makes sense

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 21:29 Quote
I think this does show what you are talking about...in the second pic, where it is just framed, you are looking in the direction you would ride it. The bottom section of framing is curved to launch you up to the flat top, and the angled section in the middle is just there for safety. The first pic is looking back at it from down the trail, at the surface you would ride down.

NoMaDicMTBer wrote:
payettetrails wrote:
photo
photo

p-m-z wrote:

Kind of, but keep the main tabletop and substitute the ways to get up to it with some jumps to make it a step up if that makes sense

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.034771
Mobile Version of Website