Supreme DH Linkage?

PB Forum :: Commencal
Supreme DH Linkage?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 9:07 Quote
So for the future I was thinking of getting a Supreme DH bike and the high pivot suspension linkage got me fascinated. Does it keep the chain from falling off? Whats the purpose? Is it worth it? And just to be clear I'm talking about the latest Supreme DH models, with that special idler wheel

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 10:37 Quote
From what I understand the purpose of the high pivot is all about speed and stability. With the main pivot being at about the same Hight as the rear wheel at full compression, it provides a rearward axel path different to other mainstream linkages. This gives the feel that the wheel just gets up and out of the way when impacted. The benefits of this are endless; with the axel path going back, the bike stays about the same wheelbase throughout its entire travel making it extremely stable on larger hits and when going through rock gardens it wont get squirrely, it actually seems like you accelerate when the suspension compresses. It also corners amazingly. As for the idler; yes it will prevent the chain from coming off but that's not what it was designed for. It is designed to prevent pedal kickback (when the pedals rotate counterclockwise when the rear suspension is compressed). Because of the rearward axel path the chain growth is astronomical on these types of bikes. The idler reroutes the chain to reduce growth and virtually eliminates pedal kickback. I'm not an engineer, just someone whos done a lot of research and who owns one, so I know how the ride feel is.

Here's more information if you need it:
https://bikerumor.com/2020/06/05/aasq-71-high-pivot-witchcraft-forbidden-commencal-deviate-starling-actofive-dispel-myths/#:~:text=The%20main%20advantage%20of%20the,t%20hook%20up%20on%20impacts.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 21:24 Quote
matt-mcmillan wrote:
From what I understand the purpose of the high pivot is all about speed and stability. With the main pivot being at about the same Hight as the rear wheel at full compression, it provides a rearward axel path different to other mainstream linkages. This gives the feel that the wheel just gets up and out of the way when impacted. The benefits of this are endless; with the axel path going back, the bike stays about the same wheelbase throughout its entire travel making it extremely stable on larger hits and when going through rock gardens it wont get squirrely, it actually seems like you accelerate when the suspension compresses. It also corners amazingly. As for the idler; yes it will prevent the chain from coming off but that's not what it was designed for. It is designed to prevent pedal kickback (when the pedals rotate counterclockwise when the rear suspension is compressed). Because of the rearward axel path the chain growth is astronomical on these types of bikes. The idler reroutes the chain to reduce growth and virtually eliminates pedal kickback. I'm not an engineer, just someone whos done a lot of research and who owns one, so I know how the ride feel is.

Here's more information if you need it:
https://bikerumor.com/2020/06/05/aasq-71-high-pivot-witchcraft-forbidden-commencal-deviate-starling-actofive-dispel-myths/#:~:text=The%20main%20advantage%20of%20the,t%20hook%20up%20on%20impacts.

Wow that's really nice. Definitely going to add the Supreme to my bike wishlist!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009009
Mobile Version of Website