Fox 38, 3 position.

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 18:38 Quote
HI,
Im looking at the Commencal clash essential 2021 that has the fox 38, with the fit grip damper and the 3 position lever that replaces the high/low speed compression controls on the top of the left stanchion. I also noticed that the rebound control looks different. I was wondering if the 3 position lever thing is better than the high low controls. And if there would be any way to change it from the 3 position to the high/low controls.
Safe Riding

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 22:15 Quote
You can buy the Grip2 damper aftermarket as an upgrade.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 0:56 Quote
daroost wrote:
HI,
Im looking at the Commencal clash essential 2021 that has the fox 38, with the fit grip damper and the 3 position lever that replaces the high/low speed compression controls on the top of the left stanchion. I also noticed that the rebound control looks different. I was wondering if the 3 position lever thing is better than the high low controls. And if there would be any way to change it from the 3 position to the high/low controls.
Safe Riding
Regarding to your question 3 position lever is better for you.
For average Joe having less possibilities is better because with having LSC, HSC, LSR, HSR settings can lead to some very confusing state of mind Big Grin

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 10:28 Quote
Yeah I was seeing how simple it was. I have gotten myself pretty deep and my friend let me borrow his bike with high/ low rebound and compression and I believe it would be a better option. Do you guys know where I could buy the after market grip 2 for a fox 38, like the link or website? Thank you.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 11:06 Quote
daroost wrote:
Yeah I was seeing how simple it was. I have gotten myself pretty deep and my friend let me borrow his bike with high/ low rebound and compression and I believe it would be a better option. Do you guys know where I could buy the after market grip 2 for a fox 38, like the link or website? Thank you.

1) Google "Fox 38 Grip2 damper" and you'll see what you need. Your LBS can help you install it. Or, since these things sit at MSRP, you can ride stock for a season and send your fork back to fox to service it and have them do the upgrade then. A grip damper take-off isn't worth anything, since everyone else is going to be like you and want to upgrade to the grip2 vvc.

More realistically, especially on a longer travel bike like the clash, having independent high/low speed compression and rebound isn't going to do anything for you performance wise. It's nice to have if you can tell exactly what's going on underneath you, but an extra ~400 spent on lessons or a season pass for park riding will make you an infinitely better rider than throwing a new damper at a fork that's already decent.

I'd get the bike - use it as is - play around with tire pressure and tokens in the fork. If you can't tell (blind) what 1-2 psi in the tires feels like or one token in the fork, you probably won't benefit a ton from having the extra dials. Regularly service the stock 38 and it'll feel great - no *need* to throw top-end parts at the bike. If you have the upgrade bug, a rear shock on the clash would be a better first step.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 19:33 Quote
[Quote="parkourfan"]
daroost wrote:
I'd get the bike - use it as is - play around with tire pressure and tokens in the fork. If you can't tell (blind) what 1-2 psi in the tires feels like or one token in the fork, you probably won't benefit a ton from having the extra dials. Regularly service the stock 38 and it'll feel great - no *need* to throw top-end parts at the bike. If you have the upgrade bug, a rear shock on the clash would be a better first step.

Great advice!
Once you have a truly high performance fork like that FOX Factory with full Grip2 damper controls it CAN get weird really fast. The compression setting aren't too difficult to get dialed in when you're riding a lot and paying attention, it's the rebound settings that can start hindering the performance. HSR & LSR not set correctly can actually make a very nice fork feel as if it's "broken" or damaged. I felt rebound settings that were set incorrectly and it felt like there was damage to the air spring.

~JSV

ps-I just noticed too, I thought he was referring to the FOX36? The original is about the 38! Wow that's a heavy chunk-0-metal. They don't have a dual crown in that yet right? That's still just a single crown model no? That's gotta' be the largest anyone's going w/a single crown fork I would think.
I took a better look at that bike, yeah that looks slick. I would think though IMO, if I were sinking the extra $$ modifying suspension on that MSRP I'd rather put it toward a carbon frame myself, but that's just me(!) Still looks like a nice bike
JV

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 20:56 Quote
[Quote="ScaryGuiTarS"]
parkourfan wrote:
daroost wrote:

Great advice!
Once you have a truly high performance fork like that FOX Factory with full Grip2 damper controls it CAN get weird really fast. The compression setting aren't too difficult to get dialed in when you're riding a lot and paying attention, it's the rebound settings that can start hindering the performance. HSR & LSR not set correctly can actually make a very nice fork feel as if it's "broken" or damaged. I felt rebound settings that were set incorrectly and it felt like there was damage to the air spring.

~JSV

ps-I just noticed too, I thought he was referring to the FOX36? The original is about the 38! Wow that's a heavy chunk-0-metal. They don't have a dual crown in that yet right? That's still just a single crown model no? That's gotta' be the largest anyone's going w/a single crown fork I would think.
I took a better look at that bike, yeah that looks slick. I would think though IMO, if I were sinking the extra $$ modifying suspension on that MSRP I'd rather put it toward a carbon frame myself, but that's just me(!) Still looks like a nice bike
JV

Yeah, I was looking at the yt capra comp but I’ve just heard to many mixed things about it.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 23:44 Quote
daroost wrote:

Its quite obvious that you got "need to upgrade", you ignore all posts advise you to go with current damper and just want someone to say to you "yes you should upgrade, it will all be 100% better after this upgrade".
You should, this will make you happy - just not for the suspension quality reason Big Grin

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004880
Mobile Version of Website