Upgrade an older Overdrive 29'er?

PB Forum :: Diamondback
Upgrade an older Overdrive 29'er?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 4:47 Quote
Picked up an older (2012) Overdrive 29'er as first mountain bike and while I like the bike overall, there's a couple things I'd change if given the chance. I'd change the forks and go with some better brakes for starters as it has rim brakes. I would need to change wheels to do discs. My question is though, is it worth upgrading or do I just go with another bike?

Thanks

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 17:38 Quote
Unlikely to be worth it. New wheels, fork, and brakes, plus a dropper seatpost, may cost more than you paid. Probably better value to find a later-model used bike with these things already in place, though supply is currently scarce.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 19:21 Quote
I'm starting to see that myself. Might just upgrade to a cheap but better forks and leave it at that. And ride it. Thanks

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 11:18 Quote
Like others have said, there's a lot more work involved when converting from rim brakes to disc brakes as you will need to buy new parts to make it work. But if you're invested into the bike and plan on keeping it for a while, then it could be a fun project to take on and then enjoy riding when you're all done. That's pretty much what I did with my 2015 Overdrive a few months ago. I bought it new for $450 almost 5 years ago and rode it off & on throughout the years, but really started to ride it a lot more in 2020. I thought about selling it for a quick couple hundred bucks, but finding a replacement was going to be hard (current supply & demand on bikes), plus I like the bike and decided to do a few upgrades.

I started upgrading with a new fork, then changing the 3x8 drivetrain into a 1x8 setup, and then quickly into a 1x10 setup, upgraded the cockpit (handlebar, grips, stem, saddle) and then got a dropper post which is great to use, and put some money into some new tires & brake pads and new discs (fortunately my bike came with disc brakes). In the end I spent close to $1200 in the past few months, which was more than I originally wanted to spend, but the bike is so much better now and much more enjoyable to take on my daily rides around the neighborhood trails. Plus, I learned a lot since I did all of the work myself, and I'm a lot more knowledgeable & competent to work on bikes now. I no longer plan on getting rid of my Overdrive and enjoy riding it a lot more now.

So, if you like your bike and want to take on a fun project, then by all means go for it. But just know what your end goal is for it so you don't just dump a bunch of money into it and realize you don't want it anymore.

Posted: Feb 11, 2021 at 11:54 Quote
I had no idea they sold the Overdrive with rim brakes? I have a 2012 OD (the sport) as well. Bought it from amazon new as my first bike and have been riding it ever since. I have upgraded everything on it for the most part, and probably (definitely) have put more in parts on it than what I paid for it. I think the seat, seat tube and bars are the only original parts left.

I converted to a different BB, crank, oval chain ring and upgraded to a 10spd. Built new wheel sets, changed to shimano XT brakes, GX drivetrain. First upgrade was getting rid of the factory fork, which is pretty bad. I went with a X-Fusion Slide RL2 and it has been good.

I originally started out with a 2011 and broke the frame in 2013 or 2014. Went through performance bike to warranty and Diamonback ended up sending me a whole new bike a model year newer.

Overall, it is a good bike with some decent components on it, but with all the factory parts on there, I was constantly tuning and fixing things. Its been pretty bomb proof after I swapped most everything. I did just order a Ripley AF so it will be my spare bike moving forward since it isnt worth anything.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004503
Mobile Version of Website