What size first BMX for 6'2 old dude?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
What size first BMX for 6'2 old dude?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 10:16 Quote
Hey in UK and lockdown is still here. I've dabbled in different sports. I've got a old MTB 26 hardtail. I've been going to a couple of pump BMX tracks. One is a small fun pump track. Really fun and playful the other is a normal pump track.

I've debate on getting a BMX for a while now.
My hardtail is ok on the pump track but a bit too big and not as playful.

I'd ideally like a BMX that's good for pump tracks and for dirt jumps.

I'm 6'2 I'm never going to hit big jumps am fairly heavy.

What size wheels and TT should I be looking at?

I'm thinking 24" and about 21 TT.

Any suggestions I would really appreciate.

Cheers

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 23:25 Quote
I think that 23" or 58 cm is perfect for you. Longer cranks give you more control. The crank size is 185 mm. {Cranks are measured from the midpoint of the axle to the center of the pedal hole (L)}. Also, you can get BMX bars with a rise ranging from 7″ to 11″. A taller bar gives you more leverage when forcing your bike around.

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 23:37 Quote
Cheers mate. I'm looking for a 22" BMX ATM. Reckon that is exactly what I need. TT around 22 as well think it'll be a good mix.

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 23:58 Quote
My 24inch wheel P'track/DJ build is 22" TT. I wish it was longer an I'm 'only' 5'11" in me boots! BMX wise your'e defiantly looking at at proXXL at least, maybe proXXXL. I've never ridden 22" wheel BMX but they do feel nice when I've sat on them in a shop.
I think a race type BMX would siute you better for P'track as they have longer rear ends and cranks compared to park or trail BMX's

back in the day my friend had a custom Standard made for him, 22.5" TT an 16" chain stays, it was enormous! but, It rode beautifull!! He was 6'2"ish

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 2:18 Quote
How does your 24" ride?
Don't want a race BMX as I want to hit dirt jumps on it as well as mucking around on the pump track.

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 2:39 Quote
I like it, as an old dude (46) that's too old for BMX, I find it the perfect mix between MTB DJ stability an BMX agility in that, it still has the stability of MTB jump bike ( Like I don't feel like I'm gonna go OTB an smash my teeth on the floor :'D ) but not too much. I must add Mine is a 24" jump bike with a rigid suss corrected fork. I've tried some BMX criusers an just found them a bit dead feeling.
Still wish it was a little, like half inch longer as I'm too old for tricks. Just wanted a P'track an bowl carver

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004818
Mobile Version of Website