Anyone running a shock boot/cover?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Anyone running a shock boot/cover?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 11:36 Quote
I have a habit of blowing my rear shock, (Rockshox deluxe) on my Giant Trance in the winter time. I believe the issue is that ice cold water or snow gets up into the shock since it is positioned so low by the bottom bracket. Which causes an issue with the seals.

Does anyone run a shock boot like this and if so do you think it would help in this situation?

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/lizard-skins-rear-suspension-boot-black?variant=12180288208971&gclid=CjwKCAiA6aSABhApEiwA6Cbm_5k7O5ZFYi14GsvccCm_eMg4OZZ63ZGBkwnD0c_JK1ondZfe54g2bBoCJBcQAvD_BwE

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 13:31 Quote
It's possible water is freezing on the shaft and damaging the seals. I feel it's unlikely, as ice doesn't stick to the shaft with much force and the shock is a little warmer than the surroundings, so water shouldn't freeze on the shaft until well below 0°C.

Your problem may be due to one or more of the following:

• The oil gets thick and bypasses the seals
• Thick oil changes the friction between a seal and shaft, causing a lip to deform
• The oil gets thick and creates too much damping force, damaging or displacing a seal or causing oil to bypass the seals

If ice really is the cause, then yes, a shock boot could help. Another option would be a fender or cover over the shock.

If the problem is due to oil properties, use a thinner oil in the spring chamber and, ideally, the damper.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004550
Mobile Version of Website