What bike for tall guy?

• Previous Page
Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 6:06 Quote
I'm considering buying my first full suspension bike, but having trouble figuring out what fits and not. As this is my first bike, I'm looking at lower end bikes. The bikes I'm considering are Ibis Ripley AF, Vitus Escarpe 29 CR, Orbea Occam H30/H20 and YT Jeffsy Base 29, with the Ibis leading at the moment. This is not really a "what bike is best" thread, but more a question of what fits me. I'm a tall guy at 198cm/6'6", with inside leg 97cm/38" and 204cm/80" armspan. This puts me more or less at the top edge of what the manufacturers recommend for the bikes in XL/XXL.

As a beginner, I'm not able to tell what the difference in the geometry numbers mean in real life, so I'm asking you. Will any/all of these bikes fit me? If not, will it be enough to use spacers / swap out the stem for extra reach?

Thanks!

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 6:30 Quote
guleboj wrote:
I'm considering buying my first full suspension bike, but having trouble figuring out what fits and not. As this is my first bike, I'm looking at lower end bikes. The bikes I'm considering are Ibis Ripley AF, Vitus Escarpe 29 CR, Orbea Occam H30/H20 and YT Jeffsy Base 29, with the Ibis leading at the moment. This is not really a "what bike is best" thread, but more a question of what fits me. I'm a tall guy at 198cm/6'6", with inside leg 97cm/38" and 204cm/80" armspan. This puts me more or less at the top edge of what the manufacturers recommend for the bikes in XL/XXL.

As a beginner, I'm not able to tell what the difference in the geometry numbers mean in real life, so I'm asking you. Will any/all of these bikes fit me? If not, will it be enough to use spacers / swap out the stem for extra reach?

Thanks!

There may be a few that fit you, but to be sure just buy a Geometron / Nicolai G1

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 7:00 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
guleboj wrote:

Thanks!

There may be a few that fit you, but to be sure just buy a Geometron / Nicolai G1

With my limited budget, that unfortunately is out of the question. Frown

Specialized Stumpjumper Alloy in size S6 might be an option, but I'm not sure if I want that bike.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 7:15 Quote
Any 29in YT in XXL is good, I'm 6'4" and manage to run 27.5, so 29 should be even better; otherwise, Commencal, Transition, and even Trek may work for you.

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 8:03 Quote
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:
Any 29in YT in XXL is good, I'm 6'4" and manage to run 27.5, so 29 should be even better; otherwise, Commencal, Transition, and even Trek may work for you.

If comparing to the Ibis Ripley AF, the jeffsy xxl has 10mm extra reach and 9mm extra stack. Is that diff enough to make the jeffsy work while the Ripley does not?

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 8:26 Quote
I would say yes based on the wingspan and inseam measurements you provided. I am 6'6" tall with a 36" inseam and I am on an XXL YT Jeffsy and I use every mm of reach and stack it offers. (mm and 10mm difference at the extreme end of the reach and stack dimensions is quite a large difference actually.

I also have a 2011 Stumpjumper fsr 29er in XXL and it fits me quite well too.

Being as tall and lanky as we are, we will always have to compromise somewhere when it comes to production bikes.

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 8:41 Quote
Have a look at BIRD too Smile I'm 6ft4 and went for the XL Aeris 145 the newer stuff they have looks really good and hands down some of the best customer service I have ever had.

Http://www.bird.bike

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 9:16 Quote
Not sure what your availability is like in Norway but I would probably shy away from the Ibis. I am 194cm with long legs and felt that the XL Ibis was too small for me. There are always ways around it with longer stems ect and ultimately I think it comes down to what is available to you.

Some mainstream brands that are on the bigger end:

Santa Cruz XXL
Norco XL - I was really surprised to see the reach numbers on the sight being over 510mm for the XL
Guerrilla Gravity XL - a little more niche but reach over 520mm
YT XXL
Specialized S6 - new sizings look great!
Yeti XL - a little smaller but still decent sizing (I was comfortable on my XL SB130 with 50mm stem)

Again at this point I think it just comes down to what you can get your hands on as well.

Good luck!

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 9:26 Quote
Judging by op saying he was looking at the Stumpjumper alloy and the Geometron is out of his budget I'm assuming he is looking at the £2000 mark thereabouts, do that puts Yeti's etc out of the question. Can someone tell of a cheaper brand that has long reach numbers for their given sizes?

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 14:26 Quote
probably a tall bike.

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 14:32 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Can someone tell of a cheaper brand that has long reach numbers for their given sizes?

Jeffsy base model was mentioned already. That is the only one I am aware of in the OP's price range, and is a very capable bike to boot. Availability may be another issue due to the COVID mess.

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 15:50 Quote
Yeah, my budget is around 2300-2700€, which makes it hard.

The reason I ask about the Ibis Ripley in particular is because I can get a great deal through a colleague who works with the brand. However, no matter how good the deal is, it still has to fit..

The YT Jeffsy seems like a good choice, but availability is a question, and so is their customer service.

Bird Aether 9 looks even better size wise, but a bit over budget unfortunately.

Any thoughts on the Stumpjumper Alloy, or the Trek Fuel EX 5? Both seem large enough (S6 / XXL), but not sure about the bikes themselves.

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 17:27 Quote
guleboj wrote:
The YT Jeffsy seems like a good choice, but availability is a question, and so is their customer service.

I am in the USA, so I cannot speak for the European Customer Service, but my experience was better than average, and I am very picky about CS. I think the YT CS issues (at least in the US) are blown out of proportion by the few that have a loud voice on these forums.

guleboj wrote:
Any thoughts on the Stumpjumper Alloy,
I don't think you can go wrong with a Stumpjumper. Like I said, I have a 2011 Stumpjumper FSR 29er, and I feel like it is still a very relevant bike even though it is 10 year-old tech and geo. I cannot see how a new Stumpy would be a disappointment to anyone.

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 18:51 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
guleboj wrote:

I am in the USA, so I cannot speak for the European Customer Service, but my experience was better than average, and I am very picky about CS. I think the YT CS issues (at least in the US) are blown out of proportion by the few that have a loud voice on these forums.

I have dealt with YT CS and honestly, they were great. They responded quickly to my emails, and they got me a XXL Jeffsy chainstay in ~2 months during a pandemic. I have ragged on them previously, but looking back on the experience, I don't think that any other company could have done any better given the circumstances.

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 21:41 Quote
guleboj wrote:
Yeah, my budget is around 2300-2700€, which makes it hard.

The reason I ask about the Ibis Ripley in particular is because I can get a great deal through a colleague who works with the brand. However, no matter how good the deal is, it still has to fit..

Bird Aether 9 looks even better size wise, but a bit over budget unfortunately.

Any thoughts on the Stumpjumper Alloy, or the Trek Fuel EX 5? Both seem large enough (S6 / XXL), but not sure about the bikes themselves.

I would say look for a reach of around 520mm, +- 10, and run some high rise bars. I'm 6'3 and I find 500 is about my upper limit for a well rounded bike. Admittedly this is pretty subjective. Most bikes have reach to stack ratios that change in the different sizes, so the bigger sizes have lower stack relative to reach, which is why 40mm + rise bars are probably worth trying for you.

Size specific chain stays are a HUGE plus as longer stays put more weight on the front and don't force you to weight your arms as much. Of the bikes you listed, I think a S5 Stumpy (not S6, but still a very big bike) is you best bet. I'm basing this off of front center / chain stay. I would definitely say prioritize balanced geo over having the longest reach you can get. Too short of a rear center will lead to looping out on climbs and front wheel wash outs through corners.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011533
Mobile Version of Website