What bike for tall guy?

Author Message
Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 21:46 Quote
I'm 6ft5in, or 196cm. I'd say look at the geo numbers and stick with something that is 500mm reach or above. Personally, I feel like I could maybe use an extra 15 to 20mm of reach on my bike. Which has 500mm reach. But I've also been riding bike for 30 years and raced downhill back in the day. For a beginner, that is roughly the same height as me, 500 to 510 mm reach on a bike is what I would be looking for as well.

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 22:38 Quote
Here are a couple of threads on the subject. I recommend considerably more reach than 500 - 510 mm for your height.

6-5 trail bike options
Bikes and Brands for Tall People

Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 9:59 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Here are a couple of threads on the subject. I recommend considerably more reach than 500 - 510 mm for your height.

6-5 trail bike options
Bikes and Brands for Tall People
So everyone should buy a geometron? Not everyone wants to be stretched out to the max. So riders like it, some don't. Like I said, I'd be potentially happier with an 15 to 20mm of reach on my bike. But I wouldn't recommend to a NEW rider to go get something that would potentially make them feel a little awkward. Especially, considering the fact that bikes in general aren't going to be much longer than what I have suggested.

Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 14:13 Quote
If you don't like the advice, feel free to not take it ... but then, why even ask?

No one said anything about everyone being on a Geometron. Maybe most - but not all - people who are 6'5" should be on one, though.

Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 17:31 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
If you don't like the advice, feel free to not take it ... but then, why even ask?

No one said anything about everyone being on a Geometron. Maybe most - but not all - people who are 6'5" should be on one, though.
I agree, most probably could benefit from it. Myself included. If I could afford it, I'd have one.

Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 18:24 Quote
Not sure on pricing over there, Pole Evolink in XL is nice and big

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 9:06 Quote
I'm only 5'8 and my reach is 460mm stem 50mm and I could easily go longer, if anything I wouldn't mind more to offset the cramped seated position of higher seat tube angles and the fact when standing 460mm definitely doesn't feel too big at all, I reckon I could ride 500mm without issue and a shorter stem. Only caveat is the wheelbase gets longer too and makes switchback more difficult.

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 13:42 Quote
I am 6'7" ish (200cm) and ride an XXL Nicolai/Geometron G1. It does not feel big to me at all, but neither do a lot of things that would seem huge to small folks.

I know the original poster of this thread has a limited budget, and doubtless a new Geometron is out of the stated budget, but I can't help but point out that buying direct from Geometron for U.S. riders is A LOT cheaper than many people would think. There is no U.S. distributor, so no state/local sales tax. If you are where I am that saves 10% right off the bat. Like all Euro/UK brands, the list price includes taxes (VAT/GST, whatever else). Geometron therefore automatically deducts 20% off the list price of their builds. There is an import duty, but that is between 3-4% for an unassembled bike, taxed as "bike parts." That and shipping of about $200.

All that said, a full XT build with shipping and import duties will run about $6500 shipped to the US, with a really nice parts spec. This of course depends a bit on the current exchange rate.

Another bonus is if you want to run a part that Geometron does not spec (like a Fox 38 which is more expensive in the UK than I could even believe), you can just have the bike built without that part, and the MSRP of the spec'd part will be deducted from the price, and you supply it yourself from a different, potentially cheaper source. That also saves a bit for people who like to swap out parts to their own preference, as there is no cost of the swapped out part as it never really was part of the build in the first place.

Compare all that to a brand new enduro bike from other companies, and it is generally a better parts spec for less money. But you do not get much if any carbon...

They pop up on the Buy/Sell every now and then. Might be an option for OP if he has patience.

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 14:45 Quote
Only issue is Chris Porter won't supply frame only, forcing you to buy it with the EXT, so you are looking at £3200 just for an alloy frame and shock which is more than op wants to spend on the whole build lol

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 18:41 Quote
guleboj wrote:
I'm considering buying my first full suspension bike, but having trouble figuring out what fits and not. As this is my first bike, I'm looking at lower end bikes. The bikes I'm considering are Ibis Ripley AF, Vitus Escarpe 29 CR, Orbea Occam H30/H20 and YT Jeffsy Base 29, with the Ibis leading at the moment. This is not really a "what bike is best" thread, but more a question of what fits me. I'm a tall guy at 198cm/6'6", with inside leg 97cm/38" and 204cm/80" armspan. This puts me more or less at the top edge of what the manufacturers recommend for the bikes in XL/XXL.

As a beginner, I'm not able to tell what the difference in the geometry numbers mean in real life, so I'm asking you. Will any/all of these bikes fit me? If not, will it be enough to use spacers / swap out the stem for extra reach?

Thanks!

I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam and ride an XL Ripley. It's definitely on the small side and I'll be looking for something with a bit more stack on my next bike. If you really want to stick with Ibis and don't mind a little extra weight/travel I'd consider the Ripmo AF. I've spent a little time on one and found it to be a bit of a better fit overall.

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 19:08 Quote
trlcruiser16 wrote:
guleboj wrote:
I'm considering buying my first full suspension bike, but having trouble figuring out what fits and not. As this is my first bike, I'm looking at lower end bikes. The bikes I'm considering are Ibis Ripley AF, Vitus Escarpe 29 CR, Orbea Occam H30/H20 and YT Jeffsy Base 29, with the Ibis leading at the moment. This is not really a "what bike is best" thread, but more a question of what fits me. I'm a tall guy at 198cm/6'6", with inside leg 97cm/38" and 204cm/80" armspan. This puts me more or less at the top edge of what the manufacturers recommend for the bikes in XL/XXL.

As a beginner, I'm not able to tell what the difference in the geometry numbers mean in real life, so I'm asking you. Will any/all of these bikes fit me? If not, will it be enough to use spacers / swap out the stem for extra reach?

Thanks!

I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam and ride an XL Ripley. It's definitely on the small side and I'll be looking for something with a bit more stack on my next bike. If you really want to stick with Ibis and don't mind a little extra weight/travel I'd consider the Ripmo AF. I've spent a little time on one and found it to be a bit of a better fit overall.

Depends on your body proportions. At 6’3.5” with long torso and arms with shorter legs, the Ripmo AF is on the small side when it comes to seated pedaling position. It’s also one of those bikes where the geo chart doesn’t match up particularly well with my bike.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 2:30 Quote
Thanks for all your replies! And thanks for the links/list, R-M-R. Helps a beginner a lot.

My conclusion this far is that there are brands that offer bikes for extra tall people like me, but they are mostly over my limited budget.

I have planned to try out a demo Ripmo AF XL (which I guess is similar in size to the Ripley) as soon as the current lockdown has ended. Based on your replies, I am thinking it will be too small, but wont hurt taking a look. If its not big enough, I think I'm down to three choices around 2300€:

1. YT Jeffsy Base 29 - XXL
2. Trek Fuel EX 5 - XXL
3. Specialized Stumpjumper Alloy - S6

My local dealer tells me that the stumpy is sold out in all of Europe, so I guess that wont be an option. I find the Jeffsy more attractive vs the Trek, but I guess the price is a question as the 2021 line is not yet released. All this research, looking at the more expensive bikes, I am tempted to push my budget a bit (dont tell my wife..). If I push it to ~3000€, I end up with the following options:

1. YT Jeffsy Comp 29 - XXL
2. Trek Fuel EX 7 - XXL
3. Bird Aether 9 (cheapest version w/deore) - XL
4. YT Izzo Comp - XXL
5. Commencal Meta TR 29 Ride - XL

The Bird is the largest option, but the Jeffsy is more tempting because of the carbon frame. I'm not quite sure the price difference is worth it tho, especially considering I'm a beginner. What do you think?

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 2:47 Quote
guleboj,

The Ripmo AF XL is only a few millimeters larger than my Bird AM9 Large. I'm 183 cm. You probably want something larger.

Regarding the carbon frame: Yes, it's carbon, but we need to ask what carbon actually does for us. It's not always stiffer or stronger and "vibration absorption" properties are a myth when we have 2.5" of rubber and air at the ground and many other sources of damping throughout the frame. So it's just a matter of weight. You're tall, so you're probably not super light. The mass of you plus bike, water, and gear is probably 100 kg. If a carbon frame saves 1 kg, which is a greater than average weight savings, that's only 1% of the total weight.

If carbon is tempting, consider the Bird Aether carbon, as it's larger than the aluminum. Probably better to go with the aluminum and save your marriage, though. Wink

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 5:01 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
guleboj,

The Ripmo AF XL is only a few millimeters larger than my Bird AM9 Large. I'm 183 cm. You probably want something larger.

Regarding the carbon frame: Yes, it's carbon, but we need to ask what carbon actually does for us. It's not always stiffer or stronger and "vibration absorption" properties are a myth when we have 2.5" of rubber and air at the ground and many other sources of damping throughout the frame. So it's just a matter of weight. You're tall, so you're probably not super light. The mass of you plus bike, water, and gear is probably 100 kg. If a carbon frame saves 1 kg, which is a greater than average weight savings, that's only 1% of the total weight.

If carbon is tempting, consider the Bird Aether carbon, as it's larger than the aluminum. Probably better to go with the aluminum and save your marriage, though. Wink

Demoing the Ripmo AF would be mostly to try something at all (in a time where there are very few available options). If it feels OK after all - great, if not - look for something larger.

Carbon: Yeah, I get what you mean, and I dont think I really need the carbon. And your pretty much spot on regarding weight. What about the other upgrades from a 2300€ bike to a 3000€ bike, is it worth the ~700€ extra? My impression is that you are pushing me towards the longest possible bike, which would be the Bird Aether 9 from my options. You own a Bird yourself, so I guess you would recommend them?

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 11:49 Quote
@guleboj

As a fellow tall guy, for all round active enduro riding I say punt for a reach of about 510 assuming a stem length of 40mm and a seat angle of 75-76.

If you care more about down than up, then reduce the reach to 490.

If you want more all day epic with BIG climbs stick to 510 but stem up to 50-60mm

The bike is going to be long, this translates into a bike that is more difficult than bikes of old to lift the front end up over obstacles, off lips/drops etc.
With that in mind don’t go longer than 440 on the chainstays, it just exacerbates the issue.

Being so tall definitely run 175 cranks


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006255
Mobile Version of Website