New shock tuning

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
New shock tuning
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 16:36 Quote
Hi guys, I recently got a new shock and need some advice on tuning. Here is what happened:

I used to run on Fox 36 front and DPS back (210 PSI). I recently bought a new DPX2 and changed the old DPS. For whatever reason, I feel the new shock is actively trying to throw me over the handlebar. The new DPX2 has 240PSI to match the same sag like the old DPS. I turned the rebound nob per Fox's manual.

So my question is: what can I do to make the new shock behave "nicer". Should I reduce the PSI? Should I increase/decrease the rebound damping?

Thank you very much for your advice!

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 2:37 Quote
I would just set up SAG for, let's say, around 25% and slow down the rebound. You just need to find right set up for you, but usually if it tries to give you OTB, the rebound may be the issue. Manual is one thing. Personal feeling is the other one..

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 9:54 Quote
Thanks a lot. You are talking about slow down the rebound on the shock not on the fork right? Thank you

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 11:51 Quote
It depends..

As RS setup says. It is almost same for FOX

Sometimes it is good to set up both. When you have too fast rebound in fork, it means fork rebounds too quickly causing a 'pogo' effect where the wheel bounces off of the terrain unpredictably. Traction and control are decreased. It is quite jumpy on the track. You should feel it

Too slow, the fork does not extend quickly enough after absorbing a bump. The fork stays compressed through
successive bumps, reducing travel and increasing impact firmness. Available travel, traction and control are
decreased.

For the rear:

Optimal rebound damping allows the shock to extend at a controlled speed, support the rider's
weight through and after the bump, and maintain traction and control.

Rebound that is too fast causes the shock to extend too quickly after the shock compresses which can cause the bicycle and rider to bounce or pitch forward. This can result in loss of control and stability. Or OTB from the preload state..

Rebound that is too slow prevents the shock from extending quickly enough to regain contact with the ground or prepare for the next impact. The shock remains in a more compressed state into the next bump which reduces available suspension travel and bump absorption. It is also quite hard ride.

You have to experiment. Or you need to follow some bumps and try to feel the shock and fork. Or do slowmo video to see how it is extending/damping

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.004888
Mobile Version of Website