SB165 Mullet

PB Forum :: Yeti
SB165 Mullet
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 21:02 Quote
My SB165 arrive tomorrow. Just the frame.

I am considering Mullet it after I demoed a 29er, Ive been on 650 for the last few years.

Has anyone done this with a 170mm 29 44 offset?

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 8:40 Quote
Not on an SB165, but I am running this on my YT Capra 29 with the flip chip on HIGH and it works well with the smaller rear wheel.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 6:55 Quote
weepweepweep wrote:
My SB165 arrive tomorrow. Just the frame.

I am considering Mullet it after I demoed a 29er, Ive been on 650 for the last few years.

Has anyone done this with a 170mm 29 44 offset?

I have the sb165 but not mullet, if you 100% prefer 29 then just return the frame or sell it on and get a 29er. It's too expensive and nice a frame to just keep it because you bought it and bodge it into a half 29er...for me I don't need bigger wheels, this thing is a plow anyway with 180mm ZEB up front.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 15:48 Quote
I have it setup like such. I’m not a big wheel fan but this is a good way to get the benefits of a big wheel up front while still keeping it playful.

Here is the setup: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WcAGEJT29LTCkIllvwVWTi30kGoiFM0t/view?usp=drivesdk

But I agree, if you really want a full 29’er don’t mullet this bike and be bummed later down the road.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 17:50 Quote
I was speaking to yeti about this and got a good setup for this mullet ride.

I will let you know how it goes.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 18:40 Quote
That’s where I got the specs for my setup : )

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 18:43 Quote
Im gonna use a Mezzer fork because I liked it on my SB6, its just gonna take some time to dial in I think.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 5:59 Quote
What is the advantage running a 29 and 160mm fork vs a 27.5 180mm fork ran softer though, don't they feel pretty much the same over bumps but the longer fork takes drops better or is 29 miles better than 27.5 rolling over stuff?

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 6:57 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
What is the advantage running a 29 and 160mm fork vs a 27.5 180mm fork ran softer though, don't they feel pretty much the same over bumps but the longer fork takes drops better or is 29 miles better than 27.5 rolling over stuff?

I would say rollover-plowability for sure, which translates to straight-line speed in the rough. Some say the different wheel sizes and contact patch help with turning radius compared to running just 29/29 but I'm no physics/engineering expert...

It also puts you in a more rearward position so the stability on descents feels nice. If you have a really long front triangle it might not be so good on turns until you get used to it...

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 7:08 Quote
Staktup wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:

I would say rollover-plowability for sure, which translates to straight-line speed in the rough. Some say the different wheel sizes and contact patch help with turning radius compared to running just 29/29 but I'm no physics/engineering expert...

It also puts you in a more rearward position so the stability on descents feels nice. If you have a really long front triangle it might not be so good on turns until you get used to it...

Does it make the back end feel harsh in comparison to the front then or does it feel pretty balanced in that respect? And what setup did Yeti recommend, 160 or can you get away with a 170 fork to keep it more inline with the Specialized Enduro in terms of plowability?

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 7:15 Quote
You can use a 170 fork but that's mainly for parks fwiw. 160 is better to climb.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 10:19 Quote
weepweepweep wrote:
You can use a 170 fork but that's mainly for parks fwiw. 160 is better to climb.

In the uk we don't climb much, it's either pedal on flat or hit the bike park, just wondered if the bb would be way too high and the front end having no grip with 170mm and a 29 wheel.

Tbh tbough I'm perfectly happy with the 180mm and 27.5 combo, never tried a 29, but my setup seems more than plush enough, rolling over half foot obstacles are hardly a problem and doesn't feel harsh at all. I'd have to be smacking into 1 foot high square edges at speed constantly to see a need for a bigger wheel...and I don't know any trails like that.

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 16:54 Quote
I'm doing a mullet build now. Will revert back.

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 11:32 Quote
So on this note and before seeing this, watching the video where the Bike Magazine guy spoke of how he experimented with such. I’ve done some number calculating and come to a choice and to now experiment with and see what I think

SB165 with Fox DHX2 and 500 lb spring
650B DT Swiss XM1501 rear wheel
Maxxis minion DHF 2.5 DD rear tire
Fox 36 Performance 160mm fork
ENVE M930 29 front wheel
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 front tire

I had an opportunity come up to be able to grab an SB165 locally, so I took it. Now, considering the choice of my front wheel (can you tell I’m an advocate for 29ers) I am wanting to be able to keep using my ENVE wheel as I have thoroughly enjoyed them. So the test now as this gets built and able to test it. See if the geometry is somewhat close to the stock geometry, and see how it climbs and descends at that juncture.

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 14:55 Quote
If you have a spare 29 rear wheel can you see if it fits the sb165 frame at the back? I'm wondering if it is possible to actually try a full 29er setup on the sb165 as the chainstays are the same length but wider than the sb150, but maybe something else gets in the way. Only want to know this if Cascade brings out a link for the sb165 it will drop the bb back down agao so maybe in the future a full 29 setup could work on the sb165 provided the wheel fits in the back. If anyone can check and see that would be greatly appreciated.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020116
Mobile Version of Website