SB165 Mullet

PB Forum :: Yeti
SB165 Mullet
Posted: Mar 26, 2021 at 10:37 Quote
weepweepweep wrote:
austenselk wrote:
weepweepweep wrote:
My setup is finally done. I will revert back this weekend.

Details?

Mezzer Pro
Light Bike Recon Wheels
XX1 AXS

The only thing is the spring is on backorder, so im at the 400lb spring now, should be 550 . Apparently its on backorder till next week.

Did you get a 29 front then to try the mullet setup like you wanted to? Or did you stick with 650B?

Posted: Mar 26, 2021 at 15:50 Quote
austenselk wrote:
weepweepweep wrote:
austenselk wrote:

Details?

Mezzer Pro
Light Bike Recon Wheels
XX1 AXS

The only thing is the spring is on backorder, so im at the 400lb spring now, should be 550 . Apparently its on backorder till next week.

Did you get a 29 front then to try the mullet setup like you wanted to? Or did you stick with 650B?

I never rode it with a 650B. I built it as a Mullet.

I spoke to a few people who ran their 165 with a mullet setup and all loved it. More then the 650B, so I decided to go that route off the bat.

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2021 at 16:56 Quote
I've had a few months riding the stock sb165 and it felt great. I've only had a 4-5 rides as a 29er 170mm mullet and so I've been crushing my PRs. I'm still setting up the cockpit and saddle. right now I have a 5mm spacer under the 40mm stem and cornering feels great. tho it could be buyers confirmation and placebo.

Posted: Mar 26, 2021 at 18:38 Quote
weepweepweep wrote:
austenselk wrote:
weepweepweep wrote:

Mezzer Pro
Light Bike Recon Wheels
XX1 AXS

I spoke to a few people who ran their 165 with a mullet setup and all loved it. More then the 650B, so I decided to go that route off the bat.

Nice! When I picked my frame up I did the same thing, but I was curious what you had meant by “I will revert back this weekend.”

Posted: Mar 26, 2021 at 18:40 Quote
useport80 wrote:
I've had a few months riding the stock sb165 and it felt great. I've only had a 4-5 rides as a 29er 170mm mullet and so I've been crushing my PRs. I'm still setting up the cockpit and saddle. right now I have a 5mm spacer under the 40mm stem and cornering feels great. tho it could be buyers confirmation and placebo.

I considered a 170mm air shaft as I have one for my Fox 36, but decided against it as I wanted a similar seattube angle as to what I had on my Transition Sentinel.

Posted: Mar 26, 2021 at 20:16 Quote
austenselk wrote:
weepweepweep wrote:
austenselk wrote:

Nice! When I picked my frame up I did the same thing, but I was curious what you had meant by “I will revert back this weekend.”

I just meant revert back to this thread w thoughts.

Posted: Mar 26, 2021 at 20:26 Quote
weepweepweep wrote:
austenselk wrote:
weepweepweep wrote:

I just meant revert back to this thread w thoughts.

Roger roger. Kick ass and have fun!

Posted: Mar 27, 2021 at 5:27 Quote
Well if you are going to 29 front and only dropping 10mm on your fork then no doubt it will plow better. I think most drop the fork to 160 to get closer to the stock geo. I don't know if I would like my bike with shorter reach and higher bb, I'd probably want to up frame size and push the saddle forwards to negate the slacker seat tube. I just fitted a Smashpot and 2.8 plus tyre to the front of my 27.5 fork though and I have to say it is super cushy and plows through anything anyway so don't see a need to have even more plowability.

If I went 29 front I'd probably get a dual crown fork to get more travel with a smaller axle to crown and not mess up the geo, A dual crown probably weighs the same as my Smashpotted ZEB and I've felt no negatives to the increased weight up front. It's only noticeable when lifting the bike above my head with one arm XD. But I love my Smashpot, don't know if a 180mm dual crown can beat a coil up front, quite considerable gains to plushness and support running the Smashpot over air, probably the best bang for buck investment you can make on your bike imo.

Posted: Mar 29, 2021 at 17:12 Quote
Spent nearly five hours in the saddle yesterday and it's still a beast on the descents in mullet setup. Easy to manual and whip around while in the air. I find it to be an absolute blast descending and climbing it handles it all well. The downhill only trails are still covered in snow and not rideable where I live presently, but from the jumpline I can ride presently and everything else, it handles it excellently.

Posted: Mar 31, 2021 at 13:11 Quote
Still feel that the front washes out a bit too often, if I'm not "on it" while riding. But, when I am, its a beautiful thing.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2021 at 18:37 Quote
austenselk wrote:
Still feel that the front washes out a bit too often, if I'm not "on it" while riding. But, when I am, its a beautiful thing.

i've been trying to lower my handlebar height by adjusting spacers to bring my weigh more forward on the bike

Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 14:28 Quote
austenselk... did you try a 27.5 170 setup yet? I also feel that my 29 160 setup washes out a bit too often in the front (DHRII 2.4). And I must admit... that front tire is way out there... kind of a "chopper" feel, but it trucks anything in the path. Im really close to trying a 27.5 170 to steepen the HTA a bit more than stock and force some natural weight bias up front.

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 4:43 Quote
Just drop bar rise and spacer height.. Playing around with different heights and bar rises on my sb165 really shown me what a massive difference it makes, not only to front wheel grip and handling but also supension performance... My 760mm wide15mm rise carbon bar feels massively different to my 800mm wide 38mm rise alloy bar... The suspension feels so much plusher with the lower bars if feels like a different fork. Weight balance front and rear is extrwmely important, more important than fancy shocks and Kashima. Play around with bar heights and get it right as it makes a glhuge difference to the feel of the bike more than almost anything else.

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 21:57 Quote
im currently testing a 40mm i9 stem, with 10mm of spacers below, and a 30 or 35mm rise oneup bar on my sb165 with a 29 170mm fork. so far everything seems fine. i was running 5mm of spacers below for a few rides and i felt a tiny bit forwards. i'll swap back to 5mm spacer or 0 spacers afterwards to see if i can really tell the difference

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 5:55 Quote
Thinking of getting some 29 lower legs and a 29 rim and relacing my wheel to give this a go but is it worth the sacrifice of losing 20mm travel? Doesn't a 180mm fork ran slightly softer with more sag and 27.5 feel just as plush as a 29 160mm that needs to be run with less sag?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023237
Mobile Version of Website