Dt swiss hubs

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Dt swiss hubs
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 17:30 Quote
obvoiusly a more tooth ratchet is better than a less tooth ratchet for climbing? whats better for downhill? 32? 64?

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 21:16 Quote
I think there might be a valid argument for a 32 generating less pedal kickback than a 64. Some people don't really care about kick back though.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 5:00 Quote
It's actually either 18, 36 or 54.

Divide 360 by these numbers to obtain the angle in degrees between two engagement points.

18 is the cheap, strong option.
36 is the compromise: double the engagement points of the 18, less pedal kickback than 54 (if FS bike), less fragile too.
54 offers the highest engagement points, but is more susceptible to break (each tooth is tiny), expensive, and more pedal kickback. I would only consider it for a hardtail.

Note that you can swap between them in just a few minutes without any specific tool.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 6:27 Quote
There's also a 24 option that comes on the ebike versions of the DT350.

On a dh, I'd just stick to a 18, or maybe a 36 if you really need it. My enduro was in 36, and the DH has 18, never felt the need for more, but then that's me.

Also consider, the 18 is nearly silent, the 36 clicks a bit more and the 54 is actually pretty loud. If noise is important for you, that'll play a part.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 18:38 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
There's also a 24 option that comes on the ebike versions of the DT350.

On a dh, I'd just stick to a 18, or maybe a 36 if you really need it. My enduro was in 36, and the DH has 18, never felt the need for more, but then that's me.

Also consider, the 18 is nearly silent, the 36 clicks a bit more and the 54 is actually pretty loud. If noise is important for you, that'll play a part.
i have a 21t engagement on my 2017 demo 8. could you install a 24t as you explained on an old demo 8?

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 20:16 Quote
Kickback...just no. Especially on a DH bike.

If you have a star ratchet hub from DT, any of the ratchets should work in there. However, I think the most common take-off from new bikes is going to be a 36t ratchet from people pulling that out of their trail bike to put a 54t in, so I'd track one of those down. I have a take-off 36 with no miles lying around I'd be willing to part with...if you can't find one, feel free to shoot me a PM.

The teeth simply aren't going to break under even abusive riding - all you have to do is have the proper amount of clean OEM grease and you'll get years and thousands of miles of riding out of them. Yes, the 54t will get worn down if you dilute the grease, let it get dirty, etc. somewhat faster than the lower toothed options. In the few instances they do chip/have failures, it's almost always from trail riders who don't service them properly, shift under heavy load, and generally suck at proper maintenance or riding habits.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004806
Mobile Version of Website