Heavy guy looking for an all around bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Heavy guy looking for an all around bike
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 5:22 Quote
Hey guys, looking for a good all around bike, I’m 6’4” 300+lbs and used to ride downhill and dirt jumps then switched to bmx and I’m over the little bikes,

So now I’m looking for a full suspension that I can throw around, I think my riding style is more aggressive and my budget isn’t the highest $2500 or under would be ideal, I’ve been looking at the knolly warden, yt capra, and considered the jeffsy as well, parts can always get upgraded just really need a strong base and looking for suggestions

I’m in the Chicago area so there are some dirt jumps and drops but there will be some mild climbs as well as some single track

Looking for suggestions, and have a couple months before the weather allows any riding

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 7:29 Quote
All the bikes listed are good options but at your weight I would make sure to buy something with good suspension and good brakes. If you plan on really riding hard, a company with a good warranty support will be helpful too. I haven't heard the best about YT and warranty practices so they might be a brand you want to avoid.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 12:47 Quote
Ah, fair enough, that helps, warranties are important for me because I’ve had a tendency to snap frames in the past

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 8:40 Quote
I had a warranty claim with YT. It took them 2 hours to respond to my email and within 2 weeks my part was replaced. I also had to order a dérailleur hanger, I had it in 2 days. I honestly think that the issue with YT is that they have a hard time keeping stuff in stock because they are a great value. As far as a bike for a heavy rider, I'm 6ft 5in and 240lbs myself, something with an air shock and a progressive linkage would help. For reference, I have a yt capra 29, the rear shock is a rockshox super deluxe rc3 which has a maximum air pressure of 325psi. I run 280 psi, so there's so wiggle room there. I have a rockshox zeb fork that I run 80 psi and it has a maximum psi of 148. So that also should accommodate someone heavier than me. Hopefully this helps a little bit.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 8:58 Quote
Used Banshee might be a good option for handling the heft. But if you can find a good deal maybe you can pick up a new build.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 15:25 Quote
brassinne wrote:
I had a warranty claim with YT. It took them 2 hours to respond to my email and within 2 weeks my part was replaced. I also had to order a dérailleur hanger, I had it in 2 days. I honestly think that the issue with YT is that they have a hard time keeping stuff in stock because they are a great value. As far as a bike for a heavy rider, I'm 6ft 5in and 240lbs myself, something with an air shock and a progressive linkage would help. For reference, I have a yt capra 29, the rear shock is a rockshox super deluxe rc3 which has a maximum air pressure of 325psi. I run 280 psi, so there's so wiggle room there. I have a rockshox zeb fork that I run 80 psi and it has a maximum psi of 148. So that also should accommodate someone heavier than me. Hopefully this helps a little bit.

That’s takes the worry away from the yt in that case, and that’s a pretty good amount of pressure, I’d have to play with the pressures but I was assuming I’d have to get a coil/ air combination with a heavy spring to take stress off the air shock, I don’t have too much experience with air shocks

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 15:27 Quote
ShawMac wrote:
Used Banshee might be a good option for handling the heft. But if you can find a good deal maybe you can pick up a new build.

I used to have a banshee scratch back in the day and absolutely loved that bike, unfortunately every banshee that I’ve found is extremely out out of my budget, and I don’t want to wait haha I want a complete bike to start and just upgrade parts as I go

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 15:29 Quote
Also realized the knolly warden I was looking at was actually just the frame Hahahaha so the yt seems to be the closest option at the moment,

So any other bike suggestions that I can look into are greatly appreciated

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 18:34 Quote
Capra carbon is rated for dual crown fork. It’s a strong bike.

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 8:31 Quote
brassinne wrote:

A good friend of mine bent his shock bolt on his capra. They simply told him they are backordered with no estimated ship date or availability. So now he can't ride until these shock bolts are available. Its little stuff like this that makes YT suck.

https://www.yt-industries.com/en/detail/index/sArticle/1958

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 8:49 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
brassinne wrote:

A good friend of mine bent his shock bolt on his capra. They simply told him they are backordered with no estimated ship date or availability. So now he can't ride until these shock bolts are available. Its little stuff like this that makes YT suck.

Bolt diameter, thread pitch and length. Not riding a bike because of a shock bolt is just silly.

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 19:18 Quote
Yea, I’m not worried about hardware breaking, but I’m notorious for snapping swing arms and bottom bracket tubes and bending bars haha

Bars I’m not worried about but frames are pricy, and the carbon frames I’m still unsure about, weight of a bike isn’t a concern, I just need the thing to be solid and also be able to do some slight uphill climbs

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 9:18 Quote
DHhack wrote:
fourfourone wrote:
brassinne wrote:

Bolt diameter, thread pitch and length. Not riding a bike because of a shock bolt is just silly.

No Shit!. Find that bolt then. Its no where to be found.

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 10:19 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
DHhack wrote:
fourfourone wrote:

No Shit!. Find that bolt then. Its no where to be found.

If you can’t find it, call a couple local machine shops and see if they will make you a few. Hell, you could sell extras on eBay or whatever and it would cost you nothing.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012780
Mobile Version of Website