Tektro HD-M745 vs Shimano SLX-M7120

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Tektro HD-M745 vs Shimano SLX-M7120
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 5:33 Quote
I'm looking to upgrade my tektro mechanical 2 pot disc brakes to 4 pot hydraulic disc brakes. Main reason for this is I'm a heavy rider and the 2 pot mechanical brakes just don't cut it even after my own adjustment and professional adjustment. The 2 options I've narrowed it down to are the Shimano SLX-M7120 4 pot F/R $400/set or Tektro HD-M745 4 pot F/R $250 set. I'm not the most experienced rider but I do know that Shimano is one of the bigger brands in brakes and drivetrains. I also see tektro on alot of other higher end entry level bikes. One thing I like about Shimano is parts are readily available.

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 5:51 Quote
Replacement parts (seals, pistons) aren't available for Shimano.

The Tektro HD-M745 uses the same pads as the SLX 7120.

The SLX is more powerful.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 6:41 Quote
the-one1 wrote:
Replacement parts (seals, pistons) aren't available for Shimano.

The Tektro HD-M745 uses the same pads as the SLX 7120.

The SLX is more powerful.

As far as price point goes what would be your pick

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 6:49 Quote
Even if the Tektro were $100, I still wouldn't get them for anything other than a gravel bike.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 5:27 Quote
the-one1 wrote:
Even if the Tektro were $100, I still wouldn't get them for anything other than a gravel bike.

Lol elitists.
The tektro brakes will work great. I have ridden tektro brakes and they stopped me just fine. Had to pull a little harder but they were completely safe.

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 7:00 Quote
blakplastic wrote:
the-one1 wrote:

Lol elitists.
The tektro brakes will work great. I have ridden tektro brakes and they stopped me just fine. Had to pull a little harder but they were completely safe.

I didn't say they were unsafe. I installed a set (the one the OP mentioned) on a buddy's bike. While they work, if you compare them to SLX, SLX has more power. That's all. Not elitist.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 11:34 Quote
I may be going with the SLX the tektros were on amazon but no longer available. There's a seller on Amazon that has the 745's but the item is purchased and fulfilled through them and shipped from Hong Kong. Not sure how I feel about that. Amazon has the tektro 735's which would be 4 pot front and 2 pot rear. I'm 260lbs and just looking for more stopping power. My 2 pot mechanical tektros suck.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 11:43 Quote
Also another reason for considering the tektros is I could continue to use my tektro rotors. Would there be much benefit in going to a 180mm rotor over a 160

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 18:50 Quote
I have the Tektro m745 on my Polygon. For the love of all that is holy, do NOT spend money on those “brakes”. Before I got my bike, I read up on them, and found “modulation is good”. That’s because they don’t ever actually STOP you! I’m pretty strong, and I could not lock them up with one finger, which brings me to my next point- the levers are TERRIBLE. I just replaced them with some Hayes Dominion A4, and would never go back to the Tektro.

Get ANY Shimano 4 piston over them. The deore 4 piston are supposed to be some of the best bang for the buck, and can be found for under $200 a set on eBay.

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 8:43 Quote
rtiEDGE wrote:
I have the Tektro m745 on my Polygon. For the love of all that is holy, do NOT spend money on those “brakes”. Before I got my bike, I read up on them, and found “modulation is good”. That’s because they don’t ever actually STOP you! I’m pretty strong, and I could not lock them up with one finger, which brings me to my next point- the levers are TERRIBLE. I just replaced them with some Hayes Dominion A4, and would never go back to the Tektro.

Get ANY Shimano 4 piston over them. The deore 4 piston are supposed to be some of the best bang for the buck, and can be found for under $200 a set on eBay.

Thank you. My tektro mechanical levers are so tight its ridiculous. I've never been able to lock them. When I started rising again was 300lbs now 260lbs. They do not instill confidence at all.

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 13:02 Quote
I see comments like these and figure I just got lucky. I had a pair of cheap Tektros on a Stumpjumper. I had read how terrible they were. They never gave me a single issue. Stopped great and I'm over 260 lbs all kitted up. Guess I got lucky and got a good pair.

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 18:16 Quote
They work fine and will stop a bike. But when you've tried stronger brakes, you won't go back. But you won't know until you've tried.

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 5:51 Quote
BigHerk wrote:
rtiEDGE wrote:

Thank you. My tektro mechanical levers are so tight its ridiculous. I've never been able to lock them. When I started rising again was 300lbs now 260lbs. They do not instill confidence at all.

Congratulations on loosing weight!

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 7:00 Quote
I had tetkros on my first bike and while they do stop you. There is no modulation. On steep decents it’s either no brakes or sliding.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 14:40 Quote
Definitely go with the SLX and use this hack to get more adjustment and turn them into XT levers

https://youtu.be/3Z4r7226bk8

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013709
Mobile Version of Website