Tektro HD-M745 vs Shimano SLX-M7120

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Tektro HD-M745 vs Shimano SLX-M7120
| Next Page
Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 15:28 Quote
rtiEDGE wrote:
I have the Tektro m745 on my Polygon. For the love of all that is holy, do NOT spend money on those “brakes”. Before I got my bike, I read up on them, and found “modulation is good”. That’s because they don’t ever actually STOP you! I’m pretty strong, and I could not lock them up with one finger, which brings me to my next point- the levers are TERRIBLE. I just replaced them with some Hayes Dominion A4, and would never go back to the Tektro.

Get ANY Shimano 4 piston over them. The deore 4 piston are supposed to be some of the best bang for the buck, and can be found for under $200 a set on eBay.

Exact same experience. Shimano Deore 6120 were an enormous upgrade over the Tektro Orions. The tektro require an incredible amount of force at the lever to provide enough force on steep descents.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 5:53 Quote
Just for my 2 cents, I've had Tektros on two bikes now and both had to be replaced with Shimanos. First set wouldn't bleed properly at all (weird pressure loss issue, didn't look into it long), and second set just had zero braking power (which got genuinely dangerous).

Both were replaced with Shimano sets to great effect. I'm super not-picky about bike parts but those two upgrades were needed. I'm sure plenty of people use Tektro series brakes to great effect but I just keep having bad luck with them.

I currently use the 7120s with big fat ol rotors and zero complaints, but if you're looking to save a buck I've used two piston Deore level brakes with no complaints as well. I'm sure their 4 piston offerings are just as quality.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 16:57 Quote
I ran the tektros, I used galfer rotors and pads on it and they do a good job of stopping. Not as strong as other brakes I have used but they do the job, im 250 lbs with bike and all and i ride fairly aggressive. I am looking at replacing them with Magura mt5s though

Posted: Mar 6, 2021 at 7:24 Quote
Bigger rotors help too, and shimano deore 4pot is my vote.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005777
Mobile Version of Website