Angle headset and fork upgrade

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Angle headset and fork upgrade
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 10:05 Quote
Hey, I am gonna upgrade my bike this year because i can already see that its gonna be hard to buy a new bike with everything that's happening and I had a question.
My bike is currently a 66.7HTA and i want to put a angle headset from cane creeks (or whatever i can get in Montreal cheaper) to reduce it to 65.5.
On top of that I was thinking of bumping my fork from 120m to 140m so HTA= 65. I was wondering if its too much or if the angle set and the fork upgrade would synergize.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 12:31 Quote
Gamertebo wrote:
Hey, I am gonna upgrade my bike this year because i can already see that its gonna be hard to buy a new bike with everything that's happening and I had a question.
My bike is currently a 66.7HTA and i want to put a angle headset from cane creeks (or whatever i can get in Montreal cheaper) to reduce it to 65.5.
On top of that I was thinking of bumping my fork from 120m to 140m so HTA= 65. I was wondering if its too much or if the angle set and the fork upgrade would synergize.
you’d be fine with a 20mm fork increase and the angle doesn’t sound too slack so I think it would probably be a good upgrade but, you would have to check with the warranty of your bike if you have some if you don’t want to void it.

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 14:08 Quote
So whatever your Seat Tube angle is will be most impacted by the larger fork. If you upgrade your fork from 120 to 140 with no angle set your head angle with go from 66.7 to 65.7 and your seat tube angle will slacken one-degree also. For example, if you have a 75 degree ST angle it will slacken to 74 degrees. This will make it slightly harder to climb. But if you add a one-degree angle set, your ST angle will go back to what it was and the head tube angle will go to 64.7 which is kind of slack for a 140 bike. Personally, if I went from 120 to 140 I would slacken it half a degree to 65.2 move my seat forward so it would climb similar but descend a little better, so in a sense, it would be the same as jumping from 120 to 130 without an angle set. Your BB height would rise a little bit too, but I don't think it would be that bad because it would become more stable with the slacker HT angle. Also, the angle set only comes in 0.5, 1.0, and 1.5-degree offsets.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 14:21 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
So whatever your Seat Tube angle is will be most impacted by the larger fork. If you upgrade your fork from 120 to 140 with no angle set your head angle with go from 66.7 to 65.7 and your seat tube angle will slacken one-degree also. For example, if you have a 75 degree ST angle it will slacken to 74 degrees. This will make it slightly harder to climb. But if you add a one-degree angle set, your ST angle will go back to what it was and the head tube angle will go to 64.7 which is kind of slack for a 140 bike. Personally, if I went from 120 to 140 I would slacken it half a degree to 65.2 move my seat forward so it would climb similar but descend a little better, so in a sense, it would be the same as jumping from 120 to 130 without an angle set. Your BB height would rise a little bit too, but I don't think it would be that bad because it would become more stable with the slacker HT angle. Also, the angle set only comes in 0.5, 1.0, and 1.5-degree offsets.

sounds good, so my best bet would be to just slacken hafl a degree. anyways the cane creek headset comes with multiples configs so i just might play around

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 2:27 Quote
A couple of things to consider. If you up fork travel by 20mm, when you factor in sag it's probably you won't get that full 20mm of extra travel when riding.

I doubt you will notice the effect of fitting a half degree Angleset. I've fitted them to all my bikes in the last few years. I fitted a 1 degree set to one bike and changed it for a 2 degree set as it provided negligeable improvement.
When you fit an Angleset you bring the bars closer to you so shorten the cockpit.

I would change your forks first, ride it and see what you think then go from there.

If you are happy to play around with it, why limit yourself?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009334
Mobile Version of Website