Ripley AF

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripley AF
Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 16:24 Quote
TastyGuac wrote:
I ordered a large green NGX build yesterday from Wrench Science. They said 8-12 weeks.

I'm coming from a Canyon Neuron AL 6 so I am excited for a decent component spec.

Funny I have an order in at Fanatik for a large green NGX and I’m coming from a Canyon Neuron AL 7.0. Feel like it’s a good next step. There’s just a couple things I would change on the Neuron like shorter seat tube and a bit slacker and the Ripley just kinda delivers. Haven’t heard anything on lead time yet but it’s winter in the North East so it’s snowboarding season at least. Hoping I get it by April.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 11:12 Quote
What didn't you like about the Neuron? That is a bike I have been eyeing but like you I think the STA is too slack. Hoping they revise it soon.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 11:59 Quote
meSSican wrote:
What didn't you like about the Neuron? That is a bike I have been eyeing but like you I think the STA is too slack. Hoping they revise it soon.

I actually like the Neuron and for the riding I do in Southern New England, I think it works pretty well. Good going up and flat, pretty good going down. Most of the trails aren't kept up that well and are rocky and rooty. My main beef with it is the ST on a Large is too tall, so for me at 6 ft, a 150 mm dropper is slammed to the collar. I would like to run a longer dropper but that's not possible, and a medium frame is too small for me. I also would like a degree slacker in the HT, and if I ended up keeping it, I'd probably do an angleset or something. Overall I would be happy on it I am sure and most bikes exceed my capabilities, but the Ripley popped up and I thought it basically changed the things I would like to change about the Neuron so I got in line for one.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 12:46 Quote
analog7 wrote:
meSSican wrote:

I actually like the Neuron and for the riding I do in Southern New England, I think it works pretty well. Good going up and flat, pretty good going down. Most of the trails aren't kept up that well and are rocky and rooty. My main beef with it is the ST on a Large is too tall, so for me at 6 ft, a 150 mm dropper is slammed to the collar. I would like to run a longer dropper but that's not possible, and a medium frame is too small for me. I also would like a degree slacker in the HT, and if I ended up keeping it, I'd probably do an angleset or something. Overall I would be happy on it I am sure and most bikes exceed my capabilities, but the Ripley popped up and I thought it basically changed the things I would like to change about the Neuron so I got in line for one.

The Ripley AF is a very fun bike and the STA @ 76* is a good number. On our large bike I can run a 200mm dropper on it no issue. I appreciate that on the newer bikes that are able to not only be shorter but have the ability to run the longer droppers.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 13:18 Quote
karmatp wrote:
I spoke with my dealer yesterday who will be building mine up later this week. He said they are all shipping with 4 piston brakes and GX shifters.
Got mine today, it has 4 pots but everything else is as listed on Ibis website, including the Nx shifter. Not a huge deal, I'll be swapping it out down the road. Unfortunately it'll be a bit before I can get out to really test it but I'm pretty pumped.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 13:28 Quote
maxlombardy wrote:
karmatp wrote:
I spoke with my dealer yesterday who will be building mine up later this week. He said they are all shipping with 4 piston brakes and GX shifters.
Got mine today, it has 4 pots but everything else is as listed on Ibis website, including the Nx shifter. Not a huge deal, I'll be swapping it out down the road. Unfortunately it'll be a bit before I can get out to really test it but I'm pretty pumped.

Awesome, Congrats! I really have no issue with the NX shifter as I can't tell any difference between it and the GX and not much from the X01. G2 4 pistons are a good surprise but finding them weak for aggressive riding. I rode them back to back with our Izzo with the Magura MT Trail Sport and what a difference lol. Either way they will get you going on the trail.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 15:41 Quote
Yeah thanks! I wanted to go out and get a feel for the bike before I swap in lighter/better parts.

I have Next R bars and crankset ready, XTR drivetrain, Hope E4 brakes and some carbon wheels to put on if this frame is as fun as I think it will be. That should get it in the neighborhood of 30# I think.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 22:10 Quote
Are bars 31.8?
How's the dropper?
Anyone have bike weights? 31/32 lbs?

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 5:46 Quote
Los5 wrote:
Are bars 31.8?
How's the dropper?
Anyone have bike weights? 31/32 lbs?

31.8 Ibis bar. Dropper is lower end KS but works, the lever isn't great. My large with 1100g front and rear tires, pedals, and 1 tire insert just over 33lbs. Lighter tires your at or below 32.

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 15:51 Quote
Can anyone with a Medium frame confirm whether a 185mm bike yoke can slam to the seat collar? Or within a cm at least?

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 16:00 Quote
maxlombardy wrote:
Can anyone with a Medium frame confirm wether a 185mm bike yoke can slam to the seat collar? Or within a cm at least?

My Large could easily run a 210mm dropper with some space. The max insertion on the Ripley AF is pretty deep.

Posted: Mar 6, 2021 at 21:37 Quote
I have had a silver Medium for about a month. Mine came with the double Assegai’s like many of them. The tires have grown on me a bit. I have developed a love/hate relationship with the dual Assegai’s. Love them when I am railing a soft fast corner or cleaning a steep climb, pretty much hate them everywhere else. I will try less aggressive tires when things dry up a bit and the financial sting of the initial purchase wears off.

Overall though I love the bike. Climbs great, descending is a blast and confidence inspiring. It looks beautiful and is super comfortable.

Posted: Mar 7, 2021 at 4:38 Quote
Well I’ve got a couple trail rides on mine, so far liking it a lot! It’s definitely got a sporty feel, firm suspension and lot a lot of room for error. But not in a bad way.

I’m running a DHR/DHF combo and swapped over to a Garbaruk cassette with XTR shifter and mech, XT cranks. Next R bar and Turbine 35mm stem.

It rides so nice I’m not sure if I need to change anything else! Maybe the wheelset somewhere down the line but for now I can’t be bothered! I’ll post up some trackside pics soon and a scale shot for science ????

Posted: Mar 7, 2021 at 5:26 Quote
maxlombardy wrote:
Well I’ve got a couple trail rides on mine, so far liking it a lot! It’s definitely got a sporty feel, firm suspension and lot a lot of room for error. But not in a bad way.

I’m running a DHR/DHF combo and swapped over to a Garbaruk cassette with XTR shifter and mech, XT cranks. Next R bar and Turbine 35mm stem.

It rides so nice I’m not sure if I need to change anything else! Maybe the wheelset somewhere down the line but for now I can’t be bothered! I’ll post up some trackside pics soon and a scale shot for science ????

I would like to replace the GX drivetrain on mine with Shimano at some point too. I haven’t used any of the newest Shimano stuff, but I like the 10 speed SLX/XT drivetrain on my old bike quite a bit better. The SRAM stuff really seems to hate shifting under any load at all, and I really have to let off the gas to shift smoothly. With the 10 speed Shimano I would let up on the pressure a little, but could basically just plow through the gears if wanted without issue. I also miss being able to up shift by pulling with my index finger. I prefer the SLX brakes on my old bike to the SRAM too. Not complaining, I know a lot of people like SRAM better, but I personally would have bought the $3000 Deore version if it were available. The fact that we are finding 2021 model bikes is a win in itself though.

Posted: Mar 10, 2021 at 12:58 Quote
Hey everyone, just testing out how to post pics. My new rig:

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007837
Mobile Version of Website