How to ride steep and muddy trails

PB Forum :: Downhill
How to ride steep and muddy trails
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 7:31 Quote
I know there is a thread about how to ride dh safely but this is specific to steep and muddy tracks.

I've been trying to explore more locally during this lockdown and came across some very steep and very muddy trails. Not too rooty or tech but just STEEP! Lots of berms.

Massive respect for all downhillers. Twice I nearly went otb. Touching the front brake seems like a massive no no.
From the bits I managed it seems akin to riding a toboggan more than a bike.

I can't seem to find any decent online tutorials so if anyone has some good links or some tips for this sort of riding I would appreciate that!

Thanks,
Jonny

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 18:20 Quote
Front brake is super important. Let's start there. Why do you think it shouldn't be touched?

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 12:29 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
Front brake is super important. Let's start there. Why do you think it shouldn't be touched?

Whenever I touched it my front wheel clung to the ruts and started going sideways.
Towards the bottom though I was using the back brake to 'drift' and then the front wheel kinda corrected it.

FL
Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 9:23 Quote
100% have to use the front brake, more-so IMO than the rear. This is where your stopping power is, using the rear allows for rotation.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 16:44 Quote
Making any progress? I too struggle when trails get really steep and sustained. Think pitches where you can’t come to a full stop if you want too, and long enough where you can’t just lay off the brakes until the next flat spot.

I think this is where brake modulation comes into play? That is, pulling and releasing super quickly so your wheels keep tracking but speed stays under control.

Posted: Mar 21, 2021 at 11:39 Quote
OK, so... With a little practice I managed to narrow down what works for me at least.
To start with I tried getting over the front wheel with my chest closer to my bars to stop myself getting catapulted, locking the rear brake so I went down like a mad toboggan and dabbed the front to bring it under control. This weirdly worked but is actually wrong I think.

So the best success I had was weight slightly back and (here's the key) drop the heels. I felt so much more in control with dropped heels.
Drop the outside foot in berms.
Other things, don't be afraid to slide your back wheel and also don't be afraid to stick a foot out for balance or to dab. Definitely feather the brakes rather than lock on like you said above.
Also those 90 degree corners after steep chutes will do a decent job of catching you. I sessioned a bunch of berms in a row and felt like someone skiing (that's actually a tip not a statement, kinda pushing yourself into berms). I think the main this was I just practiced and sessioned until I figured out what works. But heels down seems to be the key. Oh and sometimes ruts can be friends. They are there because everyone is riding that line after all.
The end.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 14:35 Quote
I am digging this up a year later because I can now consistently handle a couple steep chutes which had been causing me major problems. Here's what helped:

1) Improving my riding position. Specifically, a better hip hinge with chin close to stem, butt behind the seat and back as flat as possible. Think Aaron Gwin's riding position. It took the services of a real coach to figure this one out and get it fixed. I was riding in a very upright position and really didn't realize it.

2) Practicing my riding position. Pretty much went back to square one for this. For 3 months almost all my riding was pump tracks, small jumps and easier trails that I figured I should had "graduated" from. Ah well, sometimes you gotta put the ego aside and go back to the basics.

3) Ryan Leech's beginner balance course. Not the track stands but learning to hop and rock with the brakes locked. To put bluntly, I just wasn't squeezing hard enough. So a lot of confidence was lost thinking my brakes couldn't slow me down when they actually had plenty of power to give. I started the course thinking it would help my technical uphill skills (it hasn't) but I'll take improved descending any day,

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011663
Mobile Version of Website